Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 44

Author Topic: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming  (Read 154801 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming
« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2012, 03:05:56 pm »

just my job.
thats a lot of civilizations there. has anyone popped-up with no blood?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #136 on: April 18, 2012, 03:27:43 pm »

just my job.
thats a lot of civilizations there. has anyone popped-up with no blood?

No, and I'm fairly certain at this point that there are no vampires in the population.  Some of our dwarves have impressive lists of past civilization affiliations, but they seem to have been acquired legitimately.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2012, 03:48:07 pm »

ah. good. what do the legends say about that?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2012, 04:57:22 pm »

Dwarfing requests are in.

Saint Iridkonos, Monk Errant

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Phones Delerled, Captain Of The Guard:

Ceilan Enasrigoth, Swordsdwarf and apprentice Animal Trainer:

ah. good. what do the legends say about that?

A couple of wars against neighboring elven civilizations early on left the Imperial Pick surrounded and bottled up in one valley in the vast central mountain range that divides the world.  Unable to spread out as they were surrounded by elves, they founded half a dozen mountainhomes jammed up right against each other.  Every decade or so, another group of dwarves would become a new organization, walk a few feet, settle down, and make another mountainhomes.  There was a lot of travel back and forth between them, and a lot of intermarrying between families, which is why the family tree of most of the dwarves in this fortress is such a tangled mess and so many dwarves have a long list of former entity memberships.

The original King was killed early on by a minotaur.  (This civilization has a long history of minotaur raids on mountainhomes)  He was replaced by Queen Ral, who has no living relatives.  The wife of the original king, Reg Logemiteb, became the General, and spent years traveling the underworld taming strange creatures.  She and the King had two daughters before he died, and half this fortress's population is descended from one or both of them.

I should be able to do a proper update tomorrow night.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2012, 03:04:19 pm »

well, that explains the rust eyes and peach skin.
interbreeding much? ???
Highly Opinionated Fool

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 19, 2012, 05:58:07 pm »

Requesting a dwarf!

Simon McWhale
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 19, 2012, 05:59:26 pm »

Requesting a dwarf!

Simon McWhale

Any preference on gender or prior work experience?  Part of the great inbred family or an unrelated dwarf?

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 19, 2012, 06:46:35 pm »

I think I would like a male dwarf if possible, but gender is not a big issue. I would prefer to be a broker, if thats already taken then I'll be a smith or a mechanic. If all these are unfeasible then pick the most injured dwarf.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 19, 2012, 06:53:18 pm »

The Broker is already involved in the story (not taken as such, but has been named in the story for a while) but I have a mechanic and an armorsmith.  The mechanic Kulet Keludar is married and has 9 children (including Phones), while the armorsmith Nish Stukosgasol is unrelated to anyone.  Both male.  Any preference?

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 19, 2012, 07:08:47 pm »

Nish it is

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2012, 07:44:07 pm »

Cilob's Journal, Summer of 54

Strange things happening lately.  I was walking through the main crafting hall when I saw a dwarf arguing with Geb about using her crafting workshop.  It took me a moment to recognize him, it was the fellow who held the position of Mayor before one of those inbred children took over the position.  When I asked what the matter was, he told me he needed a workshop.  Said he was the 'Wallpotdwarf', and that we needed to make rock pots.  Well, I admit I'm a bit old-fashioned.  Neverreally took to rock pots.  Dwarf ale just doesn't taste right to me unless it's been aged in a fine wooden barrel  But, I can see it would be handy to have a few around, so I've asked for a space cleared in the crafting hall for the fellow to have his own crafting shop to work in.

I have been finding strange notes around lately, crudely-written warnings about the dangers of the caverns, and about adamantine.  There's even a drawing of monsters rising up and attacking us.  Absurd.  We haven't even seen any adamantine yet, and even if we do, there will be no danger in safely harvesting small quantities of it.

It's been quiet outside recently.  A kobold was sneaking around out front.  I sent the soldiers out to patrol - including the new swordsdwarf squad led by the guard captain who calls himself 'Phones' - but they didn't see anything other than some wild animals.  Since we killed that large group led by that one human, we haven't seen a single goblin.  Perhaps he was the leader of the local goblin forces?

It's been quiet enough that one of the soldiers came to me asking for more work!  A nice lass, name of Ceilan (odd name that, sounds almost Elvish) said she wanted me to teach her the ways of animal training.  I can certainly use the help, the traps have been catching many animals lately.

I'll start here on these easier, less-valuable animals.  This will leave me more time to focus on my giant sparrows.

In any case, I've decided to take this opportunity to rearrange the cage traps outside the fortress.  We'll be getting rid of the small group of traps to the north, and instead building more flanking the main entrance road.  It always makes me nervous to see our mechanics venturing outside the safety of the curtain walls.

While the soldiers were out on watch, the caravan from the humans arrived.

Time for Ral to work his magic.  That dwarf can convince the humans to buy anything...

Ral walks through the central hall, heading for the white marble trade depot.

As he passes Erush's shop, the clother calls out.

"Hey!  Ask the humans if they have any silk, we're all out."

"Humans don't bring silk, Erush.  They don't know how to make it.  You'll have to wait for the carvan from the mountainhomes to come."

"Humans suck.  Why are we even bothering trading with them?"

Ral ignores the Clothesdwarf and heads on to the caravan.  Time to work his magic.

"We have something special for you today.  Made by our best bonecarver, we have this set of commemorative figurines, celebrating heroes of the Imperial Pick.  Here is our beloved Queen, Ral Dwellinglashed, at her coronation."

"Look at the fine detailing, you can really see the likeness."

"Hey Dwarf, this one looks like you."

"What? Well, I supposed it does.  That's odd, I didn't ask her for any of me."

The human looks through the other figurines.  "Well, here's another, and another..."

Ral, mutters to himself, "Last time I ask that girl to make something special", then tuns back to the humans.  "Tell you what, just take the whole batch off our hands, I'll make you a special deal.  What have you brought to trade?"

Booze, wood, assorted staples, and then, "Is that...?"

"Fresh mule blood!  Brought it just for you."

Ral stares in shock.  "We have no vampires here, human.  What do you expect us to do with a barrel of blood?"

"Cook it!  It's easy to do, we can teach you the recipe.  Blood sausage is pretty tasty once you know how to make it right."

"Ugh.  Ok, you take the figurines, and we'll take the barrels of animal blood."

Cilob's Journal, continued.

I am increasingly worried about what orders the Liaison from the mountainhomes will carry this year.  I was finally able to convince our young Mayor to divulge her discussion with the Liaison last year.  The General wants to replace me with a Baron, and I may not be able to prevent her from doing so.  To be honest, I don't actually care as much what dwarf is responsible for the daily management of this place, so long as I am able to pursue my own research goals.  Still, I must decide what to do before the Liaison arrives.

I have finished a design for a mechanism for harvesting sea creatures, and have submitted the plans to Phenix.  Hopefully she won't screw them up.  The fishing pier and platforms are already under construction.

We will also need to carve out a passage just beneath the ocean surface for the trapping chamber.

Our Armorsmith seems quite enthusiastic about the project, even referring to himself with the name 'Simon McWhale.'  Strange fellow, but the enthusiasm for the project is appreciated.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2012, 09:01:29 pm »

This is a drawing of Caverns and monsters, the monsters are running, the caverns are shaking.

This is a drawing of a spire and demons, the spire is broken, demons are skulking.

This is a drawing of corpses and humans, the humans are vomiting, the corpses are rotting.

This is a drawing a blood ocean and dwarves, the dwarves are bleeding.

This is a distrubing drawing of Cilob and demons. Cilob is in a fetal position, the demons are laughing. It has a eery feel, looking at it sends a shiver up your spine.

Just felt like doing this. I find making Corai have such....split personalities when it comes to the depths fun, so I put the pictures Cilob has "found" in description.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:10:42 pm by Corai »
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 20, 2012, 10:35:46 am »

"Mister Cilob!  The sparrows are hatching!"

Cilob Amudaban looked up from his engraving.  The walls of his office were by now covered with carved notes.  Dozens of small boxes engraved in the rock, each with the name of a dwarf neatly chiseled in it.  Scratched notes in smaller lettering crowded around many of the boxes.  An intricate web of lines and arrows connected the boxes, showing relationships of various types between the noted dwarves.

"Ah, Ceilan, good.  Which ones?"

The eager young Swordsdwarf replied, "Bird-mothers two, three and four, sir."

"All three?  Well, get the doors open quickly, before they start to fight."

Soon the training room was crowded with newly hatched giant sparrows.

"...twelve, thirteen, ... fourteen.  Quite a population!"  Cilob beamed with pride over the flock.  "Well, need to get them trained properly while they're young.  Let's get started."

Meanwhile, far below the surface, Rakust Gesisfikod crawled along a rough stone walkway, mere feet from the surface of the magma.  The stonework was rough, intended only to be a temporary scaffold around the inlet to the magma works.  Fumes that would have incapacitated an elf or human rose from the bubbling magma, and the heat was oppressive.  Across the magma pipe, strange deep cavern plants were visible through breaks in the sheer rock walls, eerily illuminated by the red-glowing magma.  Sometimes the shadows shifted, suggesting the movement of monstrous forms half-seen in the gloom.

Rakust giggled, and pried another rock loose from the scaffold.

Scaffold-deconstruction work was traditionally assigned to children.  It was easy work, the pulling apart of rocks, not requiring any skill or careful placement of rocks, yet familiarizing the children with the masonry work many of them would be doing later in life.  Working so deep in the caverns, so close to the magma, spoke deeply to the soul of any true dwarf.  Rakust was having the time of her life.

She tossed the fragment of stone into the magma, where it vanished with a plop, and then started pulling another piece loose.

Deep below, something noticed.

The rock was a tricky one.  The fortress's masons had done an amazing job of fitting rough stone chunks together into a solid shelf strong enough for dwarves to walk on.  Rakust leaned out over the edge of the ledge, trying to pull the stone from the side.

Then a blob of red-hot basalt shot out of the surface of the magma and struck her right leg.  She staggered, nearly falling into the magma, barely managing to cling to the scaffold.  Rapid-fire, more blobs of molten rock shot up at her.

Other dwarves working nearby in what was planned to be an artificial magma reserve noticed the attack.

"Hey, Rakust got hurt.  What happened?"

Thwip!  Another blob of magma struck the child in the side.

"Something's attacking here.  I don't see anything."

Another dwarf spoke up, "Woah.  Invisible monsters now?  I'm getting out of here.  Someone call the militia!"

The masons dropped their rocks and fled for the stairs.  Behind them, Rakust was still being pummeled by blasts of molten basalt.

Soon, the militia had gathered near where the child was still being attacked.  There wasn't much they could do.  Whatever creature was continuing to attack Rakust was hiding far beneath the surface of the magma, not exposing itself to attack.  None of the soldiers was quite so brave as to dive into the magma after it.  Unable to fight, they fell back on an alternate method of protection:  preventing anyone else from getting close enough to be attacked.

"Nothing to see here, folks.  Move along."

One dwarf refused to turn back.  Erush Fatheggut, master clothier, faced the soldiers who were blocking his path.

"Dammit, that's my cousin down there!  You can't just leave her to die."

"Erush, you've got thirty cousins.  Half the fortress are cousins of yours.  Besides which, Rakust is done for.  Nothing you can do to save her, you'd just get killed trying, and then who would make our clothes?"

Erush shoved past the soldier and ran down the stairs, cursing.  The walkway where his cousin lay was not far.

She was horribly mangled, her body pierced in many places by burning stone.  Broken bones jutted through skin in half a dozen places. 

Despite her terrible injuries, she still somehow clung to life.  Erush knelt on the walkway next to her.  Another blast of molten rock shot out of the magma pipe, barely missing him.  He scooped up Rakust in his arms and carried her back to the stairs.

Doctor Cain examined his latest patient.  Her wounds are the worst I have ever seen a dwarf survive.  It appears that the heat of the molten rock cauterized most of the injuries, else she would have certainly bled to death. 

Despite her injuries, the patient is remarkably good spirits.

Her treatment will be the most complex medical operation yet undertaken at this fortress.

Despite this, her prognosis is good.  We have the technology.  We can rebuild her.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 20, 2012, 10:42:07 am »

Scary how well that dwarf info fitted me.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2012, 12:48:50 pm »

A relationship with Erush has its ups and downs.

A few weeks ago, he finally managed to convince me that it would be fun to do some purely decorative work. He reminded me at every opportunity that I already had the reputation as an artist, and might as well live up to it. He can be quite annoying sometimes, even I have to admit, but this time he was right. Making figurines really is very relaxing, and it's good to be able to express yourself!

Poor Ral didn't seem very happy with my work though. I just carved what I saw! Every time some gnats get into the goods stockpile outside my workshop, he makes such a fuss...

And then there's today.

I'm going to have a very strict word with Erush about the line dividing heroism and stupidity.

I might have to talk to mother as well. It seems to me that her soldiers ought to be the ones standing on the hero side of that line.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 44