Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 44

Author Topic: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming  (Read 154849 times)

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming
« Reply #150 on: April 20, 2012, 01:12:52 pm »

Can I get added? Someone who's a swordsdwarf + weaponsmith would suit me. Feel free to add either of those labors to someone existing if they don't match already.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #151 on: April 20, 2012, 01:15:38 pm »

I'll have to look and see if anyone's available.  Both of our swordsdwarves are already taken, and most of our weaponsmithing has been done by our Hammerdwarf Military Commander.  I'll look through the population and see if anyone else has the appropriate skills.

Any preference on gender and family status (wife/children/etc already)?  Name 'Daenyth' or something else?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 20, 2012, 02:26:34 pm »

No preference. Daenyth will be fine.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 20, 2012, 07:05:19 pm »

Journal of Saint, Date Unknown

The first thing I noticed when I awoke was my location. The bed was warm, comfortable; the cave was dark. Distantly, as if through many layers of rock, I could hear the cistern filling up, a low rushing noise that seemed to fade in and out. Something tripped at the back of my mind, telling me that all was not well. Something wasn't right...

The memory came back slowly, as if dripping through a half-clogged pipe. I had been stabbed, one of those insect bastards had kicked me in the head and then I had been...dragged to the hospital? No, I'd helped build that place, it was nowhere near as comfortable as this.

I had died.

That's right.

But where was I then?

The nagging grew more persistent, and I slowly realized, laying in a stranger's bed, that the nagging was not originating from my own mind. Turning mentally, I discerned that it was another's mind!

Fortunately, the other - Cilob? - was pathetically easy to crush out of existence. I share my brain with neither man nor dwarf. I seized his memories and perused them as the rest of mine began overwriting blank sections of the brain. This Cilob fellow had had a strange fascination with the color black, and an aversion to keeping fit it seemed. Compared to my last body, moving the dwarf's arms was painfully slow. In addition to the rust eyes and pale skin, I concluded that these were the results of a hereditary disorder, like the one Eisengarm had been isolating back in Ananumid. The memories of family relations were suitably convoluted that this was plausible.

As I left the bedroom and began speaking with locals, I learned that the rushing noise was actually the ocean. Despite my puzzlement at my predicament, I am interested at the thought of seeing the ocean for the first time. As my jobs around here seem to be most easily fit in the category "Other Duties As Assigned", I should have plenty of time to do so...and plenty of opportunities to explore this "Brightwater".
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 07:07:07 pm by StLeibowitz »
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 20, 2012, 10:37:33 pm »

No preference. Daenyth will be fine.

Here you go:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Daenyth is the fortress's most skilled weaponsmith.  Unfortunately, he is also by far the most highly skilled Potash Maker in the fortress, so his job title is going to reflect that for a while.  He's also a Swordsdwarf in the military (already has one kill, a Giraffe who didn't make it into the cage traps.  I'll start working on training up his weaponsmithing abilities, we could use a decent weaponsmith anyway.

Loving the responses, Geb.  The last few updates were pretty much verboten what happened in the fortress.  I set Geb to produce shell crafts, and she proceeded to make a series of figurines embarrassing the trader.  A child deconstructing some scaffolding was attacked by a magma crab.  I sen the military down, they stood around doing nothing since they couldn't see it, and then Erush all on his own ran past them to rescue her.  Hoping Cain can actually save her life now.

Next update might not be till middle of next week, my wife and I will be away till then.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 20, 2012, 11:29:25 pm »

Quote from: Athra's Diary
Mom said my writting was really bad. She had me work on it all month. I wish she wouldn't read it in the first place. Its my diary jurnal anyway.

I heard that Rakust had gotten hurt yesterday. I will take her some plum helmet and rum to make her feel better. I hope she does.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:31:09 pm by zomara0292 »
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 21, 2012, 04:05:04 pm »

Dwarf me as Jacen the soap crusader, AKA an axedwarf. Have him make soap in his spare time.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 10:22:09 am by JacenHanLovesLegos »
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Lupusater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 22, 2012, 07:00:01 am »

If you have an unassigned male swordsdwarf, I would like to claim him and name him Va'al.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 22, 2012, 10:04:31 am »

Jesus everyone wants warriors or smiths - go figure!  :D

McWhale Personal Note
I am planning to take it up with the overseer that we need to smith some harpoons and have the glassmaker make some aquarium.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 23, 2012, 12:53:14 am »

Chief Medical Officer's Log, Brightwater, Cain
Days have passed, maybe weeks. I've modified the berserker syrum to induce not a trance-like rage, but a calm. I believe that and some dwarven wine I have stashed for anesthetic are all I've consumed. I have been eating less and less and seen less of Phenix since the girl arrived.

The initial treatments are complete but they have taxed me like nothing else has before. I doubt very much that even the Legendary Physicians from the Mountainhome could do as well a job as I have done. It is a continual process, checking, setting, cleaning, checking, resetting, cleaning. Slow and methodical.

This girl will not die due to my ministrations, if she does pass it will be due to her giving up. I hope she does not, I hope she regains consciousness soon.
Cain

------------
OOC: I'm surprised that no one has asked for the wounded girl. Sure it may not be exciting, but damn if it isn't a good story. Besides, if she later becomes a member of the militia it would be even better.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 23, 2012, 09:05:49 pm »

I love these "doctor" dwarves. There always so fun to read!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 24, 2012, 05:06:40 pm »

Dwarf me as Jacen the soap crusader, AKA an axedwarf. Have him make soap in his spare time.

Done.  Profile is coming soon.

If you have an unassigned male swordsdwarf, I would like to claim him and name him Va'al.

I have no other swordsdwarves at the moment.  Would you like a civilian dwarf to pick up training with swords from scratch?  If so, preferred gender and civilian job, if any?

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2012, 05:56:04 pm »

Hey can you give my smith a foreign weapon of some sort? :D
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2012, 08:17:04 pm »

Hey can you give my smith a foreign weapon of some sort? :D

Flail, maul, or morningstar?

The events of early August, year 54

As soon as the caravan was spotted, the militia of Brightwater were called out to stand in front of the fortress walls.  On the northern side of the entrance road stood Morul Cattendoren, militia commander and experienced hammerdwarf, along with a second hammerdwarf who was training under her.  Atop the fortress walls, behind the granite fortifications, stood Alath Athellogem and her backup marksdwarves.  Having recently received a stern talking-to by her own daughter, she wasn't going to let any civilians be hurt by invaders.  To the south were stationed the guard captain Phones Delerled, along with two more swordsdwarves - Ceilan the apprentice animal trainer, and Daenyth the weaponsmith - and one more dwarf, an axedwarf who had yet to make much of a name for himself.

The dwarves were stationed out front more to give the impression of a strong military to the caravan, than for any actual protection.  They hadn't seen any goblins in over a year, since the human leader of the local raiding groups was killed.  They weren't expecting any to show up, especially with the caravan guards also present.

Underestimating the goblins was never a good idea.

These goblins had been cautious.  They had carefully followed the trade caravan, and had watched as the dwarven soldiers emerged from the fortress.  The militia commander they knew well.  Her insane ferocity had made her known, from the tales told by the few goblins who had survived previous ambush attempts.  Her they would steer well away from.

The swordsdwarves to the south were much less known, less experienced than the hammerdwarf.  A group of goblins crept through the forest towards them.

Captain Phones heard the goblins first.  A snapping twig, and a scattering of ordinary, normal-sized sparrows out of a tree.  Not waiting for orders, he ran south towards the noise.  There, between the highwood and the palm, six goblins - a hammer-wielder and five with crossbows.  The goblins realized they were spotted, and began firing on him.  Bolts sped past him.

Then something happened, something that nobody except perhaps Doctor Cain had expected.

Time slowed down.  Bolts crawled through the air past Phones in slow-motion.  He easily blocked one, then was face-to-face with the goblin commander.

A slash to the leg, then a bash to the head that tore the goblin's ear off.  Stunned, the goblin reeled, but only for a moment as Phone's next strike smashed in its skull.

Behind him, the caravan guards were struggling to keep up.  One of his soldiers, an axedwarf who had more enthusiasm than skill, was right behind him, hacking at the hammer-goblin leader as it fell, then landing a blow on another goblin, before taking a bolt right through the hand.

The remaining goblins, taken completely by surprise by this dwarven whirlwind of steel, tried to fall back through the forest.  They fired wildly at the dwarves, those of the fortress and the caravan guards both.

Still in her battle trance, Phones fell among them, slashing left and right with his sword.  Stabs to the feet to stop a goblin from fleeing, blows and slashes to the arms to disable their weapons, and then a final strike to decapitate the helpless enemy.

The last two goblins fled through the forest, pursued by the caravan guards.  Phones found himself standing among a remarkable spray of goblin fragments, as time returned to normal, the world speeding back up.  It was only then that he noticed the crossbow bolt sticking out of his chest.

The soldiers walked back through the forest, leaning on each other for support.  The goblin ambush had been driven off, through at the cost of injuries to two of them.

Back at the entrance gate, Phones was surprised to see the wagons were headed back out of the fortress.  For a moment, he wondered how long he'd been fighting the goblins.  "What, leaving already?"

One of the traders pointed at the cage traps at the entrance.  "Your trap caught one of our animals.  Passed out after a stray bolt clipped it.  We're leaving."

"What?  You can't be serious.  You traveled all the way from the Mountainhomes, who knows how far, traveling for months, and now you're leaving because you lost a single yak?"

"Union rules.  You lose a single animal, you turn around and head home."

"But - your wagons are already at the depot!  You're already here!  Just trade with us and then go home, we'll pay for the lost animal."

"I don't make the rules, buddy."

You just can't argue with traders.

Medical notes:

Phone's injuries were relatively minor, needing only cleaning and dressing of the wound, once the bolt was removed.

The other injured dwarf was also not badly injured, although he may lose some mobility in the affected hand.  His mind may have been somewhat affected by the experience, as he is now insisting on calling himself 'Jacen the Soap Crusader" and is insisting on taking up soap-making when not on military duty.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 24, 2012, 08:21:09 pm »

When I saw Phones got hurt, I expected to see her heart. Hows the fortress over-all doing?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 44