Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 44

Author Topic: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming  (Read 154774 times)

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
Re: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2012, 04:50:23 pm »

I love those adorable things too, but have you ever heard of Adamanite? I overheard Cilob muttering on about how "Risk is profit" or something like that. I'm worrying for his sanity. The things that stone does to a dwarf's mind is awful.

......Erush is nice, aint he?

I bet that giant opal theropod monster is cuddly! Oh, and don't worry! I'm sure we can trust Phenix not to do anything dangerous down in the mines, such as digging up ancient forgotten terrors or making secret goblin processing facilities. She would never do that!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2012, 04:58:58 pm »

I love those adorable things too, but have you ever heard of Adamanite? I overheard Cilob muttering on about how "Risk is profit" or something like that. I'm worrying for his sanity. The things that stone does to a dwarf's mind is awful.

......Erush is nice, aint he?

I bet that giant opal theropod monster is cuddly! Oh, and don't worry! I'm sure we can trust Phenix not to do anything dangerous down in the mines, such as digging up ancient forgotten terrors or making secret goblin processing facilities. She would never do that!

.....I need some strawberry wine......Hell, im gonna get some ale this time, Strawberry wine isnt keeping me drunk enough......
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2012, 07:15:38 pm »

Cilob's Journal, Spring of 54

Spring has come to Brightwater, and the giant sparrows are hatching.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's a beautiful thing.  They're such useful creatures.  Eggs, meat, bones, leather... I just wish I could figure out a way for our soldiers to ride them into battle.

Also coming in the spring, is the usual elven caravan.  There was no repeat of last year's drama with the goblin ambush.  One of the guard creatures - I've got a pair of giant monkeys and some sort of monster scorpion-thing guarding the gate now - spotted a kobold.  It ran away, but I decided to send the soldiers out to look for more.  No goblins or kobolds showed up, but they did spot vermin of a different type.

The damn elves probably thought the soldiers were out there to guard them from goblins.  As if we would risk lives on their account!

There were quite a few of them this time.  I don't think any of the elves who were injured last year came back.

We'll trade them some of the less-valuable crap we still have.  Some of Rachel's polished microcline.  Geb's crossbows are out of the question, I'd never export weapons to the elves, but she has made some trinkets from hooves and shells, and some ... wait, what?

How ... what did she ... how is such a thing even possible?

"Hey buddy, wanna buy a rat?"

"Come on, everyone knows dwarves love rats.  Caught him myself, tamed him on the way over just for you!  Isn't he cute?  Delicious too, if you're into that kind of thing."

Erush barely noticed the elf as he walked past the trade depot.  Normally he'd reply with some sarcastic barb about how such a dwarf a him would never want such a common creature as a pet, and if he wanted one that badly he'd just go out and catch one himself.  Other elves brought magnificent giant creatures for sale, but these local elves just brought rats and things.  Maybe if they brought him a giant wolverine or something...

But today, his mind was elsewhere, and he didn't have the time to contemplate how much elves suck.  Today, he was thinking of Geb.  And clothing.  He was inspired, having a flash of inspiration while talking to her for an amazing design for a really special robe.  He was supposed to be making socks today, but this couldn't wait.

She has such a golden smile.

She likes blue marble.  We don't have any, but I do have this ream of blue-dyed cloth I was saving.  And some alpaca wool, it's her favorite.

I'll stitch an image of that crossbow she made in the middle, and detail around it with black-caps and gems to celebrate the underground where we live.

That came out really nice.  Of course it did, I am a genius at this.  Legendary, even.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2012, 08:12:10 pm »

Gasp

Did someone finally not put me in a artifact? Thank god.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2012, 08:44:43 pm »

Fortress Beautification Program:  Statues of Brightwater.

Around the fortress, many statues have been placed.  These are statues carved by teams of laborers, all working under Phenix's command to further improve the aesthetics of the fortress.

The entrance gate is flanked by statues of common dwarves.  Not attempting to represent any specific individuals, these are to state that this fortress is above all else built by and for dwarves.

Once inside, most visitors will be taken to the trade depot.  The trade depot is flanked by statues symbolic of spirit of generosity that we hope will encourage our visitors to trade.

Here is also found a statue of our Broker, offering a sample of the wares visitors can purchase here.

Off to the side, the doors to the animal training room are flanked with some of the giant creatures possibly being trained within.

Past that is Cilob's office, where he has succumbed to vanity with a statue of himself.

In the nearby prison, the cells are watched over by statues of the fortress's military heroes.

As well as ominous figures to put fear in the hearts of cowardly and superstitious evil-doers.

Further deeper in the fortress, we have the food storage halls adjacent to the main dining chamber.  Here is placed a statue celebrating the legendary cook who has prepared the food stored there.

In the dining hall itself, statues intended to inspire the dwarves to greatness...

and depicting some of the fortress's creative masters at work.

The communal burial chambers are decorated in a more sinister and creepy theme.

A few of the fortress's more influential dwarves have commissioned personal works.  This one is not shown publicly.

On the fishing-platforms outside, a few statues not suited for display elsewhere find their homes among the constant spray of the ocean waves.

And deep in the mines, where the miners are very close to breaking through into the caverns, some practical joker has placed a statue in a dark corner where it may frighten someone who half-glimpses it in the shadows.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2012, 11:53:11 pm »

Chief Medical Officer's Log, Brightwater, Cain
Work has continued on schedule. The experiments utilizing the goblin test subjects have been quite successful in allowing me to perform some necessary procedures on our Militia Commander that allowed her to continue in her job while still recovering from her injuries. In other news, it seems that the goblinoid species doesn't take well to Syrum 435 so limited testing on other animals or possibly dwarves may be in order. But if this succeeds, we should with the 'berserker syrum' we should be able to artificially induce Martial Trances into our military.

With the discoveries of the two caverns, the magma pool, and the pit expansions to the fortress have been continuing at a decent pace. Because of this, I was asked if I required any new facilities or had ideas to utilize the new terrain. Of course I did, so I have been working closely with Phenix over the last few months to prepare what I will call the Alpha Laboratories, beginning with the Acron Exposure Room. I must admit that while we've been friends since the founding, I am still somewhat surprised at how close I have gotten with our enrapturous Architect. For now I am content with the way our relationship is currently, but I suppose that we will merely have to wait and see how things continue.

As always, sublimely joyful I am me.
Cain

-------------
OOC: This is attempt number two at this post. I had something similar written up last night but then my computer at work crashed so I lost the post. Afterwords I was too irritated over that to actually sit down and rewrite it. Also, I have no idea what the Alpha Labs should be, but it just seemed to be a good name for the section over the pit.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 17, 2012, 09:54:37 am »

So I step out of the workshop for a few minutes, thinking to grab a finely minced giant sparrow egg roast, and then I see Erush in the corridor, so we spend a while talking over lunch. I can't have been away for more than an hour. When I return, half the fortress is swarming over my workshop with Cilob and the traders ordering everybody to empty out my discards bin. For some reason, they've decided that all my spare crossbow parts are trade crafts!

I don't really know what to think about that, but it's no worry to me if the traders want to help clear out the workshop. Apparently a lot of the mechanical components look like rings and amulets. Cilob seemed particularly taken with my experimental feather optics. You know how difficult it is to make a lens out of feathers? Of course it didn't work properly, but I suppose it was quite pretty.

Like I said, I don't care about them cleaning out my discards bin, but the really hilarious part is that now the fort has started calling me a legendary bone carver!

I guess I can see what they mean. I hardly think about it now when somebody wants me to make bolts. A few quick strokes of the saw and the knife, and a bone becomes a quiverload of ammo. I do know that I make good bolts.

Oh, the robe?

Yeah... It would be a bit silly to pretend that was just an ordinary gift. Let's just say that he's earned quite a few favours with that.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 17, 2012, 03:32:28 pm »

is there a person with no relatives? here or elsewhere? and if so can i have it?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Pandemix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 17, 2012, 04:34:15 pm »

Dorf me as some military swordsman, make him run up to you saying he wants to assist you in taming animals cause hes fascinated by it. Name him Elyrion and make him somehow..elfish? o.O

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 17, 2012, 05:11:08 pm »

Aseaheru:   Our current unclaimed dwarves with no relatives are:

Dakost Oddomnazom, male, Woodworker, recruited into the masonry corps because we don't need a woodworker

Thikut Sazirrubal, male, Axedwarf and part-time Mason

Domas Egullolok, male, Marksdwarf, backup to our Sherriff

Solon Athammedtob, female, listed as an Animal Caretaker but actually a Mason

Nish Stukosgasol, male, Armorer, the Master Armorsmith who has made most of our military's armor

Monam Enastigoth, female, Leatherworker, and Mason

Cilob (not the same one) Iridkonos, male, Farmer, also does some odd jobs around the fortress.

Momuz Tanuzol, male, Planter and Mason

Rovod Olinrodem, male, Potash Maker, Mechanic, and Mason

Pandemix:  Our two swordsdwarves are:

Kogan Delerled, male, our current Captain of the Guard

Monom Enasrigoth, female, and part of Kogan's squad.

Any preference?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2012, 07:08:30 pm »

ill take domas. and if he can make rockpots thats a good thing.
just change his job name to Wallpotdwarf
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2012, 07:20:02 pm »

Alrighty.  You want the name changed, or just the job title?

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2012, 11:03:34 pm »

Could I have Cilob Iridnokos?

If so, change the job title to monk errant and the name to Saint (just the first name, the second is too awesome)
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Phones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2012, 11:11:10 pm »

Could I be Dwarfed as Kogan Delerled? Name him Phones if possible. Thanks!

Pandemix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 18, 2012, 03:05:39 pm »

Mhm...actually, let it be the female and call her Ceilan.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 44