Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: New dangers of GCS  (Read 20956 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: New dangers of GCS
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2012, 11:39:23 pm »

DF actually has ant-people, and has had them for longer than pretty much any other animal-people.  In fact, I think it was just ant-men, tiger-men, and perhaps olm-men, not counting humanoids like plump helmet men and iron men, which are not derived from a mundane species.

Ant-people exist as underground civilizations that can loiter around your map in a small camp.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2012, 12:12:38 am »

I got netflix.  Reasonable supply of docus. I get to pick a la carte what I want to watch, and when.

Never went back.  I hate modern popular television.
Ya, best move I ever made. I quit TV a few years ago.

If you really want documentaries so badly then go and buy everything that Sir David Attenborough has ever done on DVD.

That's what I do and I have never been disappointed.
Who?

niņa de la tierra. potato bugs. or if you want the real name, jerusalem crickets. f&*k em. F&*K EM! they aren't dangerous or anything, but jesus christ are they ugly and strange.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_cricket

bulldog ants. you know, I dont think DF has actual ants. I mean ive seen ant nests, but DF has no giant ants in it I dont think. not even after our most recent update. as for spiders though, black widows and brown recluse are bad enough. I always imagined the GCS as a huge black widow spider.
I've heard of them. they don't bother me much ( I wouldn't grab one, but they don't make me shudder and act paranoid like spiders do.) I dunno if you have seen much of Black widows, but they are very clumsy and shy. Pretty intimidating on paper, but kinda harmless in reality -- as long as you aren't prodding for trouble. I like them bc they are nice and slick -- not hairy. But they still bother me a little. Brown recluses are common here. And, as a male, I'm expect to "deal" with them anytime they are found ANYWHERE. I don't look at them close enough to worry about them. They are dangerous though: I've seen the rot they cause. The really creepy ones are the fast ones that run out from behind stuff faster than you can see clearly. And the jumping spiders that watch every move you make from across the room and then hide when you get close like their plotting something...

I didn't realize there was such general consensus on the failings of TV and documentaries in the world and in the DF community. I was kinda expecting the "Are we really arguing for realism in a world where there are demons below you, magical blue super metal and dragons?" kind of response.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2012, 12:14:20 am »

The US has:

PBS: (the NPR of television. Sometimes has docus. Normally has reruns of antique roadshow and this old house with bob vila.)

Discovery: (used to be good. Has created a few good documentaries in the past. Recently the quality has dropped unacceptably. Sound effects in the docu have nothing against docus about aliens, and wild theories about ancient egyptians. Seriously.)

The Learning Channel (TLC): (same problems as Discovery. Features far more tripe about humanities, sexuality, etc than discovery. A haven for media whores like mikayu kaku (who always wears the same white suit. Seriously. Pay attention!), and neil degrass tyson. Needs more stoic astrophysicists, like hawking.)

The History Channel: (two things: "ancient aliens", and "monster quest". Used to be cool, loaded with great shows like modern marvels, history's mysteries, etc. These days, a sink for crackpots with bad hair and worse tans to spew insane drivel.)

BBC america: (sometimes has nice docus. Usually just bad brittish television though. Same problems as PBS, just with eastenders instead of antiques roadshow.)

All other channels: "what docus? All we show are sex, violence, explosions, and celebrity's titties!"

Don't forget SyFy, formerly SciFi... That air's primarily Ghost Hunters, and wresting.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2012, 12:25:24 am »

If you really want documentaries so badly then go and buy everything that Sir David Attenborough has ever done on DVD.

Who?

Probably the most reknowned wildlife documantary presenter in the world.

"His career as the face and voice of natural history programmes has endured for more than 50 years... Attenborough is widely considered a national treasure in Britain."

Basically the number of nature documentaries he has done over the years is staggering, and if you're English and you love to learn about the natural world then you grow up with Sir David Attenborough. His most famous series include 'Life on Earth', 'The Blue Planet', 'Planet Earth' and 'Frozen Planet'.

Sadly I believe that he is often dubbed over when his work gets released in America, so Americans are seriously missing out.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

MetalHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2012, 12:44:49 am »

The name sounded familiar Kodkod so I googled it and found that he's the brother of Richard Attenborough who (among many other famous titles) was in Jurassic Park which made me interested.

After further reading I found that Sir David is indeed a landmark presenter for wildlife-based shows and documentaries.  I grew up watching several US-based shows on PBS/NPR involving wildlife and part of that is what made me interested in biology and science as a whole.  While I might have seen his work over here as you said it might be dubbed-over so I'm going back for another look.  Thanks for the cross-the-pond reference btw.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2012, 12:48:21 am »

Who?

Probably the most reknowned wildlife documantary presenter in the world.

"His career as the face and voice of natural history programmes has endured for more than 50 years... Attenborough is widely considered a national treasure in Britain."

Basically the number of nature documentaries he has done over the years is staggering, and if you're English and you love to learn about the natural world then you grow up with Sir David Attenborough. His most famous series include 'Life on Earth', 'The Blue Planet', 'Planet Earth' and 'Frozen Planet'.

Sadly I believe that he is often dubbed over when his work gets released in America, so Americans are seriously missing out.
You mean, our imports are translated from English to English because our English isn't good enough to understand English?
Srsly tho, I probably have seen heard him, but haven't noted it. The only documentor that I can easily recall is Marty Stouffer.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2012, 12:53:48 am »

The name sounded familiar Kodkod so I googled it and found that he's the brother of Richard Attenborough who (among many other famous titles) was in Jurassic Park which made me interested.

Funnily enough, this side of the pond Sir David is far more well known than his brother. Not that I don't like Richard too. Jurassic Park <3

Really though, his work is fabulous, and you can tell that he has a real passion for it. It's top quality stuff.

You mean, our imports are translated from English to English because our English isn't good enough to understand English?

That would seem to be the case. Although I've been over to American often enough to notice that whenever you want someone to sound serious and profession for an announcement you always use Brits...

You sillies.
/人‿‿人\

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2012, 12:56:34 am »

Dear gawd. Whatever you do, don't listen to the new "daily double" mcdonald's radio adverts over here in mcheartattack land.  The horrifically bad attempt at a false cockney accent makes me want to vomit blood and trash the radio.  It really is that bad.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2012, 12:58:32 am »

That would seem to be the case. Although I've been over to American often enough to notice that whenever you want someone to sound serious and profession for an announcement you always use Brits...

You sillies.

Lol, you caught that, did you? :p

Brits are serious, Aussies are sexy/fun, Irish are drinking party animals, Germans intense, Russians loud and boisterous... We use a lot of stereotypes, here...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2012, 01:00:11 am »

And americans are socially naive, loud, fat, and stupid!

(Sadly, the stereotype is often true! Sigh.)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2012, 01:03:21 am »

And americans are socially naive, loud, fat, and stupid!

(Sadly, the stereotype is often true! Sigh.)

... Can't comment on socially naive, since I don't have a social life, but we'll say true :p

Loud? We listen to our iPods at max volume, studies show mild deafness in the current, previous, and up-coming generations. True.

2/3rds of the population is overweight. 1 of those 2 thirds is dangerously obese. True.

We are 24th in the world as far as education last I saw, and dropping. True.

That's not a stereotype... It's a statement of fact.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2012, 01:10:19 am »

All of that is negated by the simple fact that you have Root Beer.

Armok damn I love Root Beer, I am going to miss it.
/人‿‿人\

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2012, 01:12:36 am »

All of that is negated by the simple fact that you have Root Beer.

Armok damn I love Root Beer, I am going to miss it.

Root Beer? Eh. Not that great.

Royal Crown? That's good stuff.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2012, 01:14:09 am »

Homemade root beer?
Also, I'd give up root beer if it meant real beer and not piss flavored 3.2.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2012, 01:16:50 am »

Well it just upsets me that I wont be getting any anytime soon.

As much as I enjoy America I have lost my reason to keep visiting, so I'm just going to have to go without. Still, I suppose the trade-off is pop made with actual SUGAR instead of nasty HFCS... which seems remarkable similar to clowns.
/人‿‿人\
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9