Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: New dangers of GCS  (Read 20963 times)

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New dangers of GCS
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2012, 04:30:02 pm »

Bolas spider.
That's pretty good. Do you have any that do something more like this?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFjxWdPPY1Q

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2012, 05:26:48 pm »

I hate spiders, so I'll just take everyone's words on their facts.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2012, 05:56:08 pm »

Spiders are fine.

The really scary insects are the parasitic wasps.  They sting their victims just enough to incopacitate them, then lay an egg inside the victim's body.  The hatched larva disables the host's immune system, and slowly eats the host from the inside out, while the host is still alive.

Some species' larva actively reprogram the host's behavior to be advantageous to the larva's development as well. For instance, some wasps prey on spiders, where the gestating larva chemically compel the spider to weave a special web to hang from when it is time for the larva to pupate.  This protects the pupating larva from predators, at the spider's expense. By this time, the spider is basically a half-eaten zombie though.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2012, 06:12:38 pm »

Arachnids are a whole world apart from insects, and they're pretty damn scary in their own right, beyond simple spiders.

Now if you want to get into something truly terrifying then look upon the Amblypygi! Look upon it and know despair!
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2012, 07:43:09 pm »

BBC plays deep mood music with the soft undertone of swordfighting.

Science Channel has spiders with the loudly overlayed noise of cats hissing and growling when dealing with spiders.

Stay classy you British bastards~

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2012, 07:49:26 pm »

There are channels other than the BBC?

That offends my delicate English sensibilities.
/人‿‿人\

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2012, 08:21:45 pm »

I look at that and am just fine. (I appear to be immune to the "xenomorphic appearance induced insanity" commonly suffered in lovecraft novels.  What frightens me is not the appearance, but the nature of being.

For instance, corporate drones epically terrify me. (To the point where I loathe even mentioning them.) While leeches, intestinal parasites, arthropods (both insect and arachnid and also oceanic), and the like.. really don't.

Nothing terrifies me like a person in an armani suit telling me I need them, and that they have a solution to the world's problems. The only time those clowns say something like that is when they have a plan to enrich themselves further at some other poor soul's expense.

I'd take giant spiders, toxic iguanas, large carnivores, deadly plagues, and creepy-crawlies anyday over having to deal with the "empowered" human menace.

"Elves" in dwarf fortress resonate that chord in my psyche, due to their "we won't let you cut the trees, no matter how sustainable your harvesting practices are! You bearded, evil monstrocity!" Antics.  That they respond with pitiful attempts and war makes it even worse. I think everyone hates them for the very same reasons, even if they can't quite place the reasons why, likewise with politicians and lawyers.

That's probably why when they start pulling BS, I kill them visciously. :)

But bugs? Naw. Poor things. Just put them outside.

*prefers the quiet sterility and reduced sensationalism of the research channel.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:23:24 pm by wierd »

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2012, 08:24:16 pm »

BBC plays deep mood music with the soft undertone of swordfighting.

Science Channel has spiders with the loudly overlayed noise of cats hissing and growling when dealing with spiders.

Stay classy you British bastards~

This, pretty much.

For instance, corporate drones epically terrify me. (To the point where I loathe even mentioning them.) While leeches, intestinal parasites, arthropods (both insect and arachnid and also oceanic), and the like.. really don't.

Nothing terrifies me like a person in an armani suit telling me I need them, and that they have a solution to the world's problems. The only time those clowns say something like that is when they have a plan to enrich themselves further at some other poor soul's expense.

"You come into my house with your fine print and addendums... and try to con me out of my dough? Geez, I'm used to dealing with mobsters, bootleggers and gonzos... but you bankers? Scary."

Sylvester Stallone, "Oscar"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsJvLKLIgKg
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:27:14 pm by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2012, 08:38:39 pm »

*cries*

Google tells me that the research channel has gone to the television graveyard. :(

I cut the cable cord, and one of the few channels with any real value dries up and blows away. This makes me a very sad panda. :(

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2012, 09:18:45 pm »

*cries*

Google tells me that the research channel has gone to the television graveyard. :(

I cut the cable cord, and one of the few channels with any real value dries up and blows away. This makes me a very sad panda. :(
It's all your fault, you were their sole viewer.
Srsly tho, "valuable" TV doesn't get any ratings. That's why when bugs that resemble spiders feel each other up, they add metal "shink" sound effects. Documentaries with sound effects seems very dishonest to me.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2012, 10:39:01 pm »

What do we have here in Aussie land?

SBS. Brilliant docos. Replayed ad nauseam.
ABC. Good docos. Sometimes.
Nine. Aforementioned 'soundeffected' docos.
Ten. What documentaries?
Seven. What documentaries?

That's not even counting the various offshoots, (Prime, Capital or Win) or C31 (local only)... doubt I'd see good quality stuff on these channels anyway.

That's why I don't watch TV anymore.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2012, 10:54:42 pm »

The US has:

PBS: (the NPR of television. Sometimes has docus. Normally has reruns of antique roadshow and this old house with bob vila.)

Discovery: (used to be good. Has created a few good documentaries in the past. Recently the quality has dropped unacceptably. Sound effects in the docu have nothing against docus about aliens, and wild theories about ancient egyptians. Seriously.)

The Learning Channel (TLC): (same problems as Discovery. Features far more tripe about humanities, sexuality, etc than discovery. A haven for media whores like mikayu kaku (who always wears the same white suit. Seriously. Pay attention!), and neil degrass tyson. Needs more stoic astrophysicists, like hawking.)

The History Channel: (two things: "ancient aliens", and "monster quest". Used to be cool, loaded with great shows like modern marvels, history's mysteries, etc. These days, a sink for crackpots with bad hair and worse tans to spew insane drivel.)

BBC america: (sometimes has nice docus. Usually just bad brittish television though. Same problems as PBS, just with eastenders instead of antiques roadshow.)

All other channels: "what docus? All we show are sex, violence, explosions, and celebrity's titties!"

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2012, 11:01:57 pm »

niņa de la tierra. potato bugs. or if you want the real name, jerusalem crickets. f&*k em. F&*K EM! they aren't dangerous or anything, but jesus christ are they ugly and strange.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_cricket

bulldog ants. you know, I dont think DF has actual ants. I mean ive seen ant nests, but DF has no giant ants in it I dont think. not even after our most recent update. as for spiders though, black widows and brown recluse are bad enough. I always imagined the GCS as a huge black widow spider.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2012, 11:02:10 pm »

If you really want documentaries so badly then go and buy everything that Sir David Attenborough has ever done on DVD.

That's what I do and I have never been disappointed.
/人‿‿人\

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2012, 11:08:25 pm »

I got netflix.  Reasonable supply of docus. I get to pick a la carte what I want to watch, and when.

Never went back.  I hate modern popular television.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9