Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Animal Training update  (Read 50599 times)

jackbod

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:KOBOLD]
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Training update
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2012, 05:38:13 am »

All we need now is mounts...
One often meets his own destiny on the path he takes to avoid it

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2012, 06:03:07 am »

For Pony!

Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2012, 07:08:13 am »

Not sure why it would be a bug, though.

Domestic creatures are born and bred to be domesticated over thousands of generations - you don't see a cow turn back into a wild bison.  There's a difference between being a dog that hasn't been taught tricks, and being a wolf that has not had it instinctively drilled into them that humans are their friends.

A domestic animal that has never been in contact with humans will to a large degree return to a wild/feral state, albeit less aggressive overall than their wild ancestor.  Chicks or poults etc. born locked away and left without any contact with dwarves should definitely become at least semi-wild or similar in my opinion, although it's hard to say if this is something intented or not in this instance without knowing the exact mechanics :>

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2012, 09:40:46 am »

Okay, I can confirm it's not just poults. Just got semi-wild chicks, too. Not sure why it would be a bug, though.

Both chicken and turkeys have [COMMON_DOMESTIC] and [PET] tags just like dogs do so you would think that there would be no problems there.  You could try adding the [TRAINABLE] tag and see if the issue clears up right away.

It might be possible that it’s a problem with the engine not recognizing the eggs belonging to the mother.  If this problem hasn’t been seen in any live birth situations that could be a cause of the loss of domestic status as the game might be assuming a base value of wild for the mother unless it can determine the eggs belong to an already domesticated animal.  I’m just guessing there though.

It looks like there’s some nice potential for !!SCIENCE!! here.

Kie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2012, 10:41:19 am »

I didn't read through the entire thread, so sorry if my question was answered already.

When you domesticate an animal in your fortress and your civilization gains knowledge about them and what not, when you make a new fort under the same civilization, can you embark with those animals if they were trained enough?
Vae Victis

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2012, 11:27:02 am »

Animal but not training related; a wild rhino just gave birth to three rhino calves on my map. All wild, of course, but I don't recall anything of the sort happening before?
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2012, 11:46:37 am »

So we can confirm that exotics can now breed.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2012, 11:49:06 am »

The most important question though is: Can we now breed megabeasts? :S

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2012, 12:10:40 pm »

Didn't Toady mention that you need to train a trained animal's babies in order to make them turn completely tame? This sounds like it means you can't ever get tame GCS, unless I'm mistaken in thinking they cannot breed.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2012, 12:14:28 pm »

"the Giant cave spiders have hatched!"

Aw, crap... :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2012, 12:15:00 pm »

So we can confirm that exotics can now breed.
Good call, yes. I accidentally caught one of the calves which just makes me feel bad so I'm freeing it.

Edit; hmm. The first rhino I caught had been war rhino for a while and is named Sakzul Graniteportent because I had assigned it as war pet. It is being trained again. Perhaps so it stays cool with Dwarfs.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 12:17:36 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2012, 12:31:44 pm »

"the Giant cave spiders have hatched!"

Aw, crap... :p
Does that mean I'm wrong, or is that a hypothetical scenario?
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2012, 12:38:46 pm »

Quick question - once you assign a war/hunting animal to someone, if that person dies, is there no way to reassign the animal? I can't find one, which is annoying - I want my War Jaguar to get some use!

E: Also, meant to add the baby bird thing isn't universal - I've got regular (tame) baby keets and baby chicks. So I dunno what's up with that.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 12:44:14 pm by Stormfeather »

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2012, 12:41:53 pm »

Seems not, but you can certainly still pasture them and chaining would quite probably work as well.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2012, 01:04:26 pm »

A domestic animal that has never been in contact with humans will to a large degree return to a wild/feral state, albeit less aggressive overall than their wild ancestor.  Chicks or poults etc. born locked away and left without any contact with dwarves should definitely become at least semi-wild or similar in my opinion, although it's hard to say if this is something intented or not in this instance without knowing the exact mechanics :>

The thing about domestication is that domestic species are typically entirely different species of creatures from their wild counterparts. 

Species like corn, for example, look nothing like the original long grasses they were bred from.  A cow would never survive in the wild, as it's been bred into being little more than a stomach on legs. 

A chicken, likewise, would probably never be capable of becoming "wild", because its innate nature has been overwritten into being a creature that can only live on farms. 

Dogs, you might make a case for them going back into being wild.  Some of them, anyway, those tiny toy dogs are going to die, and probably so are the big water dogs and even the pit bulls, but the general "mutt" types of dogs are going to live and possibly return to being wild. 

Still, it takes far more than a single generation to be able to do that, and anyway, all of that is beside the most important point, and that is:

[PET] creatures are meant to always be tame.  As in, Toady has said that they should never go untame, and that there will be a solid dividing line between the totally domesticated-over-centuries creatures that should never untame, and the exotics you tame that can never become fully and completely tamed, because that [PET] Token is an innate aspect of their own nature as a creature.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9