Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Animal Training update  (Read 50583 times)

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
Re: Animal Training update
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2012, 12:47:50 pm »

Ive been watching my Elk birds be trained - here's how the process worked for me. The tamers will grab a snack that the Elk Bird would appreciate (which seemed to be fish) and then goes to the Elk Bird cage and trains it. After it reaches trained status I let them out into an enclosure and then the trainer dwarves will keep training them up occasionally. My plan is to wait until they have children and then just butcher the "trained" adults for safety and try to get their kids to "Tame".

This.

Maybe we still need kennels for the war/hunting training? It would be good to know which species are available for hunting/war. I want my Peregrine Falcon for hunting :(
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2012, 01:16:53 pm »

Maybe we still need kennels for the war/hunting training? It would be good to know which species are available for hunting/war. I want my Peregrine Falcon for hunting :(

You need a training zone to train war/hunting. I don't know if you need to *have* a kennel or not, I wouldn't think so, but I have one anyhow so I'm not sure. :p

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2012, 03:13:48 pm »

If the cages containing animals aren't constructed somewhere do the animals appear in the list to take/train? I guess they are unavailable however they appear.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2012, 03:20:50 pm »

I updated from a 34.05 region. I domesticate subterranean animals from scratch. I am so hardcore.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2012, 03:24:47 pm »

You don't have to construct the cages, no, I just continue to tame (well, "train") them in the animal stockpile as I did before, with the kennels. It looks like you can still train/tame them if the cages are constructed, as well. (Since the animals in my "zoo" still pop up on the list.)

Apparently once they've been trained a bit, any further training (for war and hunting at least, don't know about "reinforcing" the tameness) is done in an animal training zone, a pasture, or on a chain that the animal is assigned to.

You do have to train through the "animal" tab of the z-menu though, now, so if you're looking for the large animals on the kennel list still, you're going to be disappointed. :p

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2012, 03:43:28 pm »

A run-down on how it seems to work;

1) I've caught a rhino (two by now) in a cage trap.
2) it was listed in the z-menu as 'not tame' because it was not tame. (:P)
3) I toggled 'train war' on it and told 'any trainer' would do.
4) I saw my animal trainer in the U-menu with ''Train Stray Rhinoceros (+Trained+) for War'
5) It is now listed as Stray Rhinoceros ♂ (+Trained+), then AW and unavailable in the z-screen. Second rhino is listed as 'not tame' and my animal trainer is currently working on it. Hovering over the TRAINED rhinoceros in the z-screen shows "Status: Skillfully Trained" rather than "Status: Domesticated" for Onol Gembishstinthad the bunny.  Untrained rhinoceros shows no such status at all.
6) the first one had a traipse amongst my living quarters and is now pastured. Hopefully it shan't starve.
7) as the previously mentioned 'unavailable' indicates; it is NOT a work animal. Therefore, I can NOT assign it to a Dwarf like I would a war dog.
Disregard, but not entirely.
8) I thought the animal trainer was training the second rhino; this was not the case, it was training the first rhino again. It is still considered Skillfully Trained but also Work Animal (rather than unavailable.)
9) The second rhino has reached the intermediate stage and "the dwarves of The Dangerous Rim now know a few facts about rhinoceros training."
10)First rhino is also a 'Stray war Rhinoceros' rather than 'Stray Rhinoceros.'

I hope this may have helped somehow.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 03:58:17 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2012, 04:11:58 pm »

Also, baby animals (at a guess) apparently share whatever level training/taming the mother has - I have a "trained" female capybara, with a wild male in my zoo, and she just gave birth to "trained" babies.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2012, 04:34:43 pm »

Yeah, bee. Training emus and kangaroos. I want war-kangaroos!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2012, 06:23:53 pm »

Also, baby animals (at a guess) apparently share whatever level training/taming the mother has - I have a "trained" female capybara, with a wild male in my zoo, and she just gave birth to "trained" babies.

My turkey hen (1st generation offspring from the tame hen I brought on embark) gave birth to semi-wild poults.

I also bought a breeding pair of giant bobcats from the elven caravan, in year 2 of my fort (still version.05). They never got any offspring.
In year 8 of my fort I transferred to .06, and trained them into stray giant war bobcats. I didn't get any experience for that as far as I can see. About a month later, they gave birth to 3 Giant Bobcat kittens.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 06:27:09 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2012, 06:31:45 pm »

My turkey hen (1st generation offspring from the tame hen I brought on embark) gave birth to semi-wild poults.

That sounds like a bug... maybe you should report it with a save?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2012, 06:37:17 pm »

Hey, some science on training, on the lines of Frisiandude.

I have an unkindness of ravens trapped in cages in my animal stock pile. Staus in the z stock menu read wild.

I tasked any trainer to train them.

The trainers took plump helmets and fed the birds.

Birds switched to a semi trained state.

Having no use for them, I let them be.

After a while I got a message stating that raven has returned to a wild state. With the game pausing.

They were still in the cage so no harm done.

I retasked people to train them and the rangers proceeded to do exactly that.

After another occasion of the, reverting, they've reached a higher state of domestication. Not near ,y computer so I can't check what it's called.

So, synopsis, Tldr:

1) you can train animals if they lie in cages, this may be the optimal method since they -

2) revert! Animals revert to a wild state. Why and how is yet to be determined.

3) the more they get trained, after reversions, the more they seem to get domesticated.

Regards 3, it's possible that this is just my rangers getting better at it, or more training getting them further domesticated.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2012, 06:48:29 pm »

Presumably it's a combination of factors.  I'd guess 3 factors.  1: A higher skilled trainer will keep an animal trained for longer.  2: The more an animal is trained, the longer each training session will stay in place.  3: The more you dwarves know about a creature, the longer a taming session will be valid.

It sounds like animals born of partly-domestic animals will retain a basic level of training that enables them to be fully domesticated with enough skilled trainers and enough generations.

As a counterpoint, taming a dragon should be extremely difficult now, as you'll have no civilization knowledge and no basic training in place yet.  Having spare trainers with no other jobs will be vital to keep your exotic population under control.

Now we just need info on automatic retraining.  Toady claimed in the devlog that his trainer died without his noticing and his animals reverted.  This implies that when an animal becomes partially reverted, a trainer assigned to them will automatically go and reinforce the taming.  It sounds like this happens in the "Taming Zone".  The tamer, presumably, will take the animal there and reinforce the training.  I've not tested this myself, we need science.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2012, 06:51:07 pm »

Ah revert, good to know. Caged ravens aren't too bad if reverted, pastured rhinoceroses a wholly different kettle of beans. Try training them to completion, Parlor, I hope reverting wouldn't happen then. I'd hate to have my two war rhinos revert, for instance.  :-\
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2012, 07:15:04 pm »

Done. Save link: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5992
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2012, 07:21:28 pm »

Done. Save link: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5992

Err, you should report it on the bug tracker.  Put the DFFD link in the description, there.

DFFD's "buggy saves" category is just for categorization, it doesn't actually report a bug.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9