Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Animal Training update  (Read 50585 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Training update
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2012, 04:51:14 pm »

on a note with a previous post about domestic animals, any animals kept for their milk will die in the wild. They preoduce so much milk now, with no more barrier to protect themself, that they'd literally burst inside unless some other creature relieves them of the milk. When it is time to be milked, those animals don't just queue up because they get a handfull of a treat, but often also because it takes away the pain.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Bilanthri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2012, 05:19:23 pm »

An interesting study done with foxes has suggested that genetic make-up has a great deal to do with wether a species can be domesticated.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/03/taming-wild-animals/ratliff-text

Certainly an interesting read.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2012, 05:21:08 pm »

nature/nurture debate has been going on long time now, truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

I read the article now. wow. We domesticated ourself. Humans were the first domesticated animals.

Alright, that's a bit of an extreme statement, but it is implied.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 05:31:28 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2012, 05:34:21 pm »

I suppose. Civilization, culturing, is more or less the same as domestication.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2012, 06:02:12 pm »

on a note with a previous post about domestic animals, any animals kept for their milk will die in the wild. They preoduce so much milk now, with no more barrier to protect themself, that they'd literally burst inside unless some other creature relieves them of the milk. When it is time to be milked, those animals don't just queue up because they get a handfull of a treat, but often also because it takes away the pain.

This is only half true. Milk production self-regulates, but we milk a SHITLOAD of milk off of these cows. I'm pretty sure that if we slowed milk production gradually, the amount of milk they produce would eventually slow down and stop. Granted, they're still not the most capable animals for protecting themselves and living in the wild, but that's another issue entirely.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2012, 06:47:33 pm »

Cows also don't produce milk until they have had a calf.  They stop producing milk a few years after having that calf. 

We've just selectively bred them to produce way more milk than they normally would, and in so doing, we have also made them incredibly slow-moving and docile creatures that store most of their energy as fat or turn it into milk, so as to squeeze more efficiency out of the cows, and that makes them extremely unlikely to survive any predator large enough to effectively attack a cow.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2012, 07:18:43 pm »

I don't think reverting to savagery is random. I had two dingos trained one after the other revert in the space of seconds. Has science been done?

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2012, 07:28:58 pm »

As another data point, my two capybaras that were born semi-wild (well, the two survivors) both reverted in a short span of time (maybe a couple game days?), which also happened to be shortly after they grew into adults. I'm saddened by this, but it's my own fault - apparently my main animal trainer got offed somehow, and I didn't realize. -_-

E: Come to think of it... since they were born semi-wild, I'm not sure I ever actually assigned a trainer (or "any trainer") to them, so maybe that's why they reverted. Hrm, if I have more semi-wild critters born like that, I'll have to check and see if you have to assign a trainer, I imagine you do.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:15:35 pm by Stormfeather »

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2012, 07:35:28 pm »

Has anyone figured out how to change owners, I have 2 or 3 warhounds, and their owners have perished and now I cant seem to figure out how to change ownership, might be permanent for now?
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2012, 01:37:07 pm »

Oh, I had a thought about "semi-wild poults". The save in which this occurred was carried over from 34.0... whatever is one prior to the current release. I'm actually unsure about when the eggs were laid relative to when I switched. So, more testing needs be done.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

neilll

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2012, 01:42:56 pm »

I'm feeling a bit dumb...  People say you need to make a training zone and then you can start training animals... But I can't seem to do that.

I use "i", create a rectangle, and then I see the options for the zone. Animal training has a question mark "?" beside it.

?: Animal Training

I know the key should be "t", but hitting t does nothing.

Same thing in z > Animals.  There are question marks where the keys should be.  ?: Training  ?: War  ?: Hunting
I try hitting t, w, etc. but they do nothing.

Anyone know why I'm seeing these question marks?

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2012, 01:49:57 pm »

Do you have any animal trainers?
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2012, 01:51:17 pm »

Anyone know why I'm seeing these question marks?

Did you copy-paste your controls over from a previous version of the game?

If you did, then there is no key assigned to press to select that.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

neilll

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2012, 02:18:45 pm »

Did you copy-paste your controls over from a previous version of the game?

If you did, then there is no key assigned to press to select that.

Yes that's exactly what I did... Oops.  I'm new to DF, so I'm not sure of the best way to update to the latest release.  I have a few customizations in key bindings (for my mac keyboard), init.txt, and d_init.txt.  Do people have a standard way to merge their customizations into new releases?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 02:24:58 pm by neilll »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9