Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: New version out!  (Read 21315 times)

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New version out!
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2012, 01:48:52 pm »

New version world generating now!  :D  My old fortress was getting stale anyway.  I WANT FULLY-CLOTHED, INFREQUENTLY-VAMPIRIC DWARVES TRAINING WAR TIGERS, AND I WANT THEM NOW!
Whoa, now, training doesn't ensure that your war tiger won't go wild one day and murder half your fort.

...why did you think I wanted them?
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2012, 01:52:30 pm »

Animal menu looks like this now. Not sure if it's always like this now, or that's what it looks like once you build a kennel, I've never made kennels before, but it's quite nice. Setting training on an animal defaults it to any trainer, you can select each animal an assign a specific person to train that animal, I have the dogs selected for war training here but nothing seems to be happening. I don't know if that dark gray means it can't be done right now, or if that's just the color for war training, hunting is a white H, do I have to do hunting before war?

rethnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2012, 02:22:21 pm »

Thanks for posting those screens,  used to be you could view the animals and designate for slaughter, so most of that is new.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2012, 02:28:28 pm »

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2012, 02:31:21 pm »

New version world generating now!  :D  My old fortress was getting stale anyway.  I WANT FULLY-CLOTHED, INFREQUENTLY-VAMPIRIC DWARVES TRAINING WAR TIGERS, AND I WANT THEM NOW!
Whoa, now, training doesn't ensure that your war tiger won't go wild one day and murder half your fort.

You say that like it's a bad thing.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Azahiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2012, 02:33:59 pm »

Right now I have a bunch of tantruming children who are embarrassed to have no shoes (or other clothes for that matter)...including one of them getting a mood and making an artifact floodgate from dwarf bones...

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2012, 02:34:32 pm »

Animal menu looks like this now.

A male and female cat? What have you done?! Don't you know what will happen?

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2012, 02:40:08 pm »

Animal menu looks like this now.

A male and female cat? What have you done?! Don't you know what will happen?

Generate a good source of food and bones? But seriously I can't get these dogs to be trained. Still messing around with a few things.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2012, 02:58:40 pm »

Hmm, I appear to be having issues training my two embark dogs as well.

1) I've got a dwarf, adequate animal trainer, with animal training labour enabled.
2) I've got two dogs, marked as ready for War Training on the Animals screen.
3) I have chosen the animal trainer dwarf as their assigned trainer.
4) I have built a Kennel (don't know if this is now optional or not).

The dwarf sits quite happily on No Job status.  The dogs, in their Preferences screen, are "Waiting to be trained."

I've tried making only one of them available for war training, in case it was getting confused trying to do both at once or similar, but nope, still nothing doing.

Hmm.  What am I missing?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2012, 03:05:58 pm »

Have you checked (using 't') to make sure your kennel isn't constructed from 'F'orbidden materials?

Hmmm, I wonder if you need to make your kennel out of fireproof material if you want to train a dragon?

Do you also need to add the task to your kennel? I'm at work so I haven't had a chance to try the new version yet.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2012, 03:09:59 pm »

Have you checked (using 't') to make sure your kennel isn't constructed from 'F'orbidden materials?

Nope, it's made from good old oak wood - it's literally the first building I've put up on this new embark.  :)

Hmmm, I wonder if you need to make your kennel out of fireproof material if you want to train a dragon?
Could be interesting...but I'll be happy if I can start off with the dogs!

Do you also need to add the task to your kennel? I'm at work so I haven't had a chance to try the new version yet.

Don't think so - only tasks available in the Kennel now are "Capture a Live Land Animal" and "Tame a Small Animal".  I'm uncertain whether a kennel is even required for training larger animals now, to be honest.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2012, 03:14:56 pm »

I'm uncertain whether a kennel is even required for training larger animals now, to be honest.
Doubt it. All the trainer ever does is just feed the animal something. No adding tasks required.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2012, 03:27:12 pm »

I'm uncertain whether a kennel is even required for training larger animals now, to be honest.
Doubt it. All the trainer ever does is just feed the animal something. No adding tasks required.

Hmm.  Mine's still just hovering around the wagon with No Job.  :(

I noticed you posted in another thread that you've managed to get training up and running (aside: it has quality modifiers?  Cool!)...does it sound like I'm missing anything major in the above setup?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2012, 03:29:15 pm »

I noticed you posted in another thread that you've managed to get training up and running (aside: it has quality modifiers?  Cool!)...does it sound like I'm missing anything major in the above setup?
Wait, do you think I'm talking about training animals for war and hunting, or taming?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2012, 03:31:10 pm »

Wait, do you think I'm talking about training animals for war and hunting, or taming?

Ah, wait, you were talking about taming rather than training, weren't you?  Drat.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7