Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Military  (Read 30226 times)

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
Re: Military
« Reply #120 on: April 30, 2012, 10:51:05 pm »

Dwarves either need to work on automatic pistols or repeating crossbow pistols...
You may not have seen xbow dwarves in battle yet?  They are pretty much bolt machine-guns with one mag of ammo.
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Batmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2012, 10:55:03 pm »

This is just another part of DF's unforgiving nature;

If 10 dwarves spar and train together for 6 months, they are going to be better than fresh recruits, but they are lacking in practical experience, no?

Now if you locked them in a room for a week, dodging spears etc, thats going to help no?

Or if they are locked in a pit with 12+ gobbos, trolls etc?

Don't take me wrong i know where you are coming from, I just think you need a new perspective.

I dont see these as work arounds at all.
See, I play as a highland lord, I light the torches its time for war, I'll ride through a rival town weilding a ball and chain made of spikes and thorns, or a longsword, with the hilt made out of a dinosaurs spinal chord, sharpened against a rhino's horn, when you swing it it sounds like a lions roar!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2012, 06:03:54 pm »

DF's unforgiving nature?
To put it simply, DF likes some people, and hates others. Mostly the latter. With a vengeance.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
1. Teaching skills. Smaller squads. Practical experience? Actual combat normally trains quicker, but other than that there are only the spoils of war and Dwarves witnessing death to be gained. And most of the time, actual combat is hard to find.
Some consider it to be exploity
Exactly the same as a controlled battle tipped in your favour. Lovely amounts of XP.
Who exactly are you replying to? :d

Batmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2012, 12:07:27 am »

DF's unforgiving nature?
To put it simply, DF likes some people, and hates others. Mostly the latter. With a vengeance.
1. Teaching skills. Smaller squads. Practical experience? Actual combat normally trains quicker, but other than that there are only the spoils of war and Dwarves witnessing death to be gained. And most of the time, actual combat is hard to find.
Some consider it to be exploity
Exactly the same as a controlled battle tipped in your favour. Lovely amounts of XP.
Who exactly are you replying to? :d

Was replying to Op.

Sorry you haven't convinced me. Not that i want you to or am assuming you are trying to. Its like says arming them with useful weapons and armor is an exploit.

Its a feature that reflects the real world. Something that I hope Df sticks too.

I don't want meta dwarves that magically learn combat really fast.

That's all people seem to want in these threads.
See, I play as a highland lord, I light the torches its time for war, I'll ride through a rival town weilding a ball and chain made of spikes and thorns, or a longsword, with the hilt made out of a dinosaurs spinal chord, sharpened against a rhino's horn, when you swing it it sounds like a lions roar!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2012, 01:08:50 am »

I don't know what all the talk is about big squad not working: especially now that half your migrants have good combat skills setting up a squad of 10, training year-round at 7/10 of the squad leads two 3-4 dwarves sparring, which works just fine.

Now the rest are doing biting demonstrations. Which is great given how insanely op biting is right now and which you cannot spar-practice.

So take that danger-room and small squad enthusiasts--your biting is subpar and unpracticed :P

*biting--almost like using a silver whip, but dwarfy*
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 01:10:28 am by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2012, 05:32:39 am »

I just start without military dwarfs, then I make a 3 dwarf squad with the first 3 military dwarves that arrive then I make them train all year round, then I split them up in three squads and I make them militia captains I do this till i have around 6 squads of 3 training / sparring all year round, with one squad I defeated 2 sieges, 1 goblin siege on Cave Crawlers and 1 Elf siege, and only 1 civilian got hurt by a flying <<alder arow>> 
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]