Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Military  (Read 30227 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Military
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2012, 05:40:18 am »

also.... is it good/bad/indifferent that my hammerers have 3 masterwork silver hammers equiped each? and if so how do I get them to drop two???? GAHH!!!!!

No. Equip MOAR HAMMERS.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2012, 07:32:14 am »

ok so I have slight problem.... I think I got my hammer dwarves training... but the marksdwarves are just sitting around like the bunch of idiots that they are... any way to change that?

Stop Dwarfs from being idiots? You might as well ask them to grow to 2meters.  :P

also.... is it good/bad/indifferent that my hammerers have 3 masterwork silver hammers equiped each? and if so how do I get them to drop two???? GAHH!!!!!
  AfaIk they only use one at a time, so it doesn't really help. What does their equipment err roster look like? If you added 'war hammer' thrice then they'll grab three hammers, of course. ;P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2012, 10:21:24 am »

Toady may have secretly fixed this in the new release. As an experiment I: embarked, built an armor stand, set my starting 7 to a wrestler squad, and set their status to training....

The result: They immediately paired up, 6 of them sparring while 1 did an individual combat drill.

They were Adequate Fighters by the summer, at which point I gave them swords and shields. After 2 years now they are Legendary in sword, shield, fighting, wrestling, and dodging, and starting to learn the lesser skills like kicking and biting. My smiths are working on a steel industry so I can start to armor them and deploy them for patrol/guard duty; I think the goblins will be coming soon... I am sure 7 steel-clad legendary swordsdwarfs will make easy work of the first ambush wave!

We're talking about 7 random dwarfs with zero relevant skills, not some carefully-orchestrated embark with points in military, teacher, student, etc.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2012, 01:04:42 pm »

I've been playing a mod where the sparring was imediatte (and this was on DF2010.) I dunno if they guys who made intended that or if humans are just more inclined to learn by doing.

Linenoise02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2012, 02:47:16 pm »

Toady may have secretly fixed this in the new release. As an experiment I: embarked, built an armor stand, set my starting 7 to a wrestler squad, and set their status to training....

The result: They immediately paired up, 6 of them sparring while 1 did an individual combat drill.

They were Adequate Fighters by the summer, at which point I gave them swords and shields. After 2 years now they are Legendary in sword, shield, fighting, wrestling, and dodging, and starting to learn the lesser skills like kicking and biting. My smiths are working on a steel industry so I can start to armor them and deploy them for patrol/guard duty; I think the goblins will be coming soon... I am sure 7 steel-clad legendary swordsdwarfs will make easy work of the first ambush wave!

We're talking about 7 random dwarfs with zero relevant skills, not some carefully-orchestrated embark with points in military, teacher, student, etc.

I routinely had 3 dwarves sparring as a group in .04.  I don't recall ever seeing that in the previous version, but then again I'm not too experienced with DF yet.

I've been learning/experimenting with marksdwarves and giving multiple orders per season.  With marksdwarves, I can take a squad of 10 and split them up between training and defending multiple burrows, and they'll swap out duties automatically.  My fort isn't at the population where I can try this, but has anyone ever tried 2 squads of 10 dwarves and seen if there's any difference in a "train 8 minimum" order vs. 4 orders of "train 2 minimum" per month?  I wonder if it'll force the little alcoholics to pair up, rather than have your squad's newest recruit try and train your legendary captain in the finer points of biting.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2012, 02:55:54 pm »

I just got a chuckle out of this job notification: "Urist McDwarf: Wait for biting demonstration."

:)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2012, 02:59:16 pm »

Mock not the biting skill. Goblins know this from painful lessons.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2012, 06:09:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Which is why you designate a certain metal type instead of leaving it as metal.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Does your uniform have only 1 hammer? Is exact matches enabled? As for your marksdwarves. Do you have enough ammo assigned to them as well as enough ammo in general? A squad of 10 marksdwarves can easily burn through 500-1000+ bolts in just 1 siege. Does the barracks designated by a wep/armor stand cover the archery targets?

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2012, 06:49:39 pm »

Which is why you designate a certain metal type instead of leaving it as metal.

So how do you work that then, you have them train as wrestlers and don't give them swords until your steel industry is up and running?

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2012, 09:12:05 pm »

ok how to assign ammo? I had almost 5k bolts. (course..... that fort died to a siege one month after I first posted on this page lol)
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2012, 09:31:28 pm »

not sure exactly, but you may need to unassign ammo from the hunters, or the dwarves may pick it up on thier own. I don't know exactly.

Linenoise02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2012, 10:14:06 pm »

ok how to assign ammo? I had almost 5k bolts. (course..... that fort died to a siege one month after I first posted on this page lol)

Make sure you have quivers.  They won't grab any arrows without them

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2012, 10:19:24 pm »

create squad, assign missile weapon of choice, ensure each marksdwarf has their own quiver equipped.

m -> f -> select the squad -> designate ammunition type and number

As Splint mentions, you will want to reduce the number of bolts assigned to the hunters, even if you don't have any, as from what I understand the hunters "claim" their full share before any are allocated to military types.  Myself, I let the hunter have 30 bolts. I normally only have either 1 or 2, so its basically a quiver full.

Also, I personally recommend you don't try and have "training" and "combat" types that are different, as it probably still leads to marksdwarves not firing in combat* because they have a quiver full of wooden/bone bolts, while the ammo screen says they are supposed to use metal bolts in combat, and the idiots won't dump the quiver and refill with the correct type.  When fighting unarmored, or lightly (i.e., leather) armored opponents wooden and bone bolts are going to do just fine.  With sufficient volume of fire they can even work against properly armored targets, though it takes either great skill or great luck. ;)

* If I'm wrong on this, please let me know. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2012, 12:15:58 am »

Yah, maybe the streamlined job code he hacked through in 34.06 did something because all of a sudden my 8 squad rag tag band of private mc urists are sparring allot more now I noticed myself
I voted for BANANA!

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2012, 01:14:55 am »

So how effective is biting? Ive seen dwarves bite off multiple fingers on tough opponents and it seemed to promote a lot of bleeding/pain
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9