Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Military  (Read 30229 times)

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military
« on: March 22, 2012, 03:39:42 am »

I've stayed away from DF for quiet a long time (for obvious reasons) and I'm just taking a look at DF2012.

I've been looking at the military again. At least the basics work now. (they seem to train and they seem to even spar sometimes) But they train way to slow. My dwarfs have been training for at least one full year now and gained just a little bit of fighting experience, but no skill levels at all.

Do I need to use a workaround again (danger room, arena fights) for this issue, or am I doing sth. terribly wrong? All military dwarfes are using leather armor and wooden weapons.

Any tips?

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 03:52:02 am »

I find it helps if you use small 2-man squads for your melee dwarves. They'll take a lot less time getting everything organised for a demonstration and they'll spar a lot more often. I've had a skilled fighter with no weapon skills and a complete noobie sparring for a few months and after that time they were both competent. Not very impressive but it's good enough against disarmed goblins and with proper equipment (steel shortswords in this case) they can manage perfectly well in actual combat.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 04:32:26 am »

so it's back to workarounds again  :-\

seems I won't be playing for another view versions. Till toady finally desides to fix the military -.-

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 04:36:52 am »

That's a bit over-dramatic.

Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

xeniorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 04:59:44 am »

I don't think slow training is something that is to be "fixed". It's more like a feature - one that decently mimics the real world. I don't believe there was ever a great warrior who was only a peasant a year before. Training takes years both IRL and in DF. And like in RL, getting real combat experience counts for more than spending your days watching dodging demonstrations and lightly tapping your friends with the weapon of choice and getting lightly tapped by them. ;)

A few forts ago I had a low level fighter who was one of sole 3 survivors of 30 original military dwarves. Due to incredible experience gained in that siege, he got legendary status in knife user and soon became legendary in dodge, armor user, and shield user as well. So it's really not that much of that problem getting your dwarves experienced, as long as it is not by locking them in a nice sterile environment of the barracks.
This Wine tastes like schist!
Shut your mouth and admire some gneiss furniture.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 08:28:34 am »

While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 08:31:16 am »

If you take ten random people off the street, give them weapons and lock them in a room and say TRAIN! you are the new militia!
what do you really expect of them?

Now.. give those people someone who can teach and knows how to actually fight, you'll see a dramatic change.

Just having someone in the squad with military skill helps, but [TEACHER, LEADER, ORGANIZER] all have a SIGNIFICANT impact on training effectiveness.

if you really want to "fix" training scrubs to elites in a year, just mod dwarves to make their combat skills gain faster and require less total xp to max.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 08:32:16 am »

"Oh no!  I can't set up an inefficient squad and walk away from it!  I'm leaving the internet forevers!"

You don't know how to utilize military training.  Learn how to set up a training squad, they're not the same as combat squads.  Your lack of understand is not Toady's lack of coding.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 08:43:53 am »

seems I won't be playing for another view versions. Till toady finally desides to fix the military -.-

Making a 3 man squad is a workaround now?  It is the same as DF2010.  If you haven't played for years, it's likely it looks different to you.  You don't need training weapons anymore, real ones work fine.  Just make a squad and tell them to train. 

If they aren't training fast enough for you because the game mechanics tries to limit it to something reasonable, you will have to use "workarounds" to jump ahead of the natural curve.  Dangerrooms and arenas will speed up the soldier training.  But i doubt those will ever be integrated into the military to "fix" it.  Because it isn't broken.
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 08:57:41 am »

If he's been away for "quite a long time" there's a chance he skipped DF2010 altogether, probably claiming it was broken.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 09:06:43 am »

Get your militia killing any wildlife that moves. More food for you and you get faster experience. Also bring a trained military dwarf that has points in dodging, fighter and armor user. As well as teacher. This will speed up the training of your squads. because group training won't work well if the group is being trained by someone that knows nothing.

If you do some more research into how the military mechanics work its not very hard at all to get a decent army. Failing that. Use many traps and inventive ways to kill invaders.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:08:18 am by Lexx »

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 10:53:42 am »

In the previous version all you had to do to get dwarves with high level military skills is to send a few unskilled recruits to kill wandering squads of skeletons or zombies. The likelihood of them doing any actual damage to armoured dwarves was next to none, and all the combat skills would raise ridiculously fast as the newbies desperately flailed about trying to hit something.

Now of course a single undead can lay waste to a starting fortress in no time at all, but hey, there are always plenty of kobolds!
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 11:15:03 am »

Don't act as if anybody owes you anything. 
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 11:30:26 am »

Military training is way OVERpowered in Dwarf Fortress. If you aren't getting Legendary Axedwarfs in 12-18 months, you're doing something wrong. Seriously.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 11:44:13 am »

Let's not forget the DANGER ROOM that can give you a Legendary Dwarf in under 5 minutes.  It's fun to have a 1 Dwarf Military and hope he doesn't get shot in the eye.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9