Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Military  (Read 30223 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Military
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2012, 01:37:23 am »

On a strong dorf, they can bite off limbs of dwarf sized and smaller enemies, not just extremities. And they can open arteries, promoting death.

Bear in mind this can also happen to the dorfs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2012, 01:21:02 pm »

So how effective is biting? Ive seen dwarves bite off multiple fingers on tough opponents and it seemed to promote a lot of bleeding/pain

If a Dwarf manages to bite, bear it in mind that shaking ignores armour. Delicious, delicious fountains of blood.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2012, 02:07:07 pm »

Biting is badass and fitted for creatures who take joy in slaughter.

+4 dwarfpoints if you get a non-vampire military dwarf with no legs and arms, and you manage to kill a whole siege of goblins with him, and bring him to legendary biter.

fluff79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2012, 09:02:34 am »

is there anything i can read about equpping my dwarfs and what principles lie behind what armor is better/worse etc

for example if i equip a dwarf with a melee weapon and a ranged weapon will he switch between them depending on the situation?  Or should each dwarf only be given one or the other? 
what are the differences between different leathers? is it the quality of the make that matters? or are some leathers rarer and make the dwarfs happier?

if theres a thread or wiki page please let me know as i havent seen one yet!
thanks

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2012, 11:24:06 am »

that might be better asked under gameplay, but I'll answer here, to the best of my ability.

Leather I don't know, but It may depend upon the creature. Otherwise it's all the same defense value.

With metal armor, it generally goes by historic and realistic values. Coper is a very malleable metal, but it can at least hold a sort-of rigig shape for armor and a blade for weapons. As far as i know quality adds a small bonus to how much it'll stop.

Same deal with weapons.

Gear goes as such

Silver (weapons only; best vanilla DF hammers) < Copper < Bronze/Bismuth Bronze < Iron < Steel < Spoilerite (worst vanilla DF hammers)
Any metal will work better for armor than leather.

fluff79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2012, 01:04:33 pm »

thats really helpful, thanks very much.

any idea about the 1 or 2 weapons question?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2012, 01:23:18 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1. Quality on armour affects the rolls that affect the chance that armour has to blocking a hit. If it blocks successfully, then material awesomeness takes place to determine any damage (if some at all) is inflicted.
2. Same with weapons, except this affects to hit rolls.
3. Steel is right up there with silver when it comes to warhammers. It's a good, versatile metal. Iron vs Bronze is still heavily debated.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dwarves given a ranged weapon and a melee weapon can sometimes get a bit confused, but for the most part they behave exactly how you'd expect them to - they shoot their crossbow, and if anything crosses the threshold where the Dwarf would rush in and attempt to bludgeon things to death with it's crossbow, they rush in and attempt to bludgeon everything to death with their crossbows and whatever other weapons assigned.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2012, 03:11:08 pm »

Dwarves either need to work on automatic pistols or repeating crossbow pistols...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2012, 04:41:46 pm »

Dwarves either need to work on automatic pistols or repeating crossbow pistols...

No stopping power :|

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2012, 04:50:39 pm »

I don't mean those cheap chinese ones. I mean ones dwarves would use. The put you on your back after the 2nd shot kind of crossbow. I mean come on, if they could figure out magma forging, they can make a crossbowpistolrepeaterthing that can knock you down.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2012, 05:02:14 pm »

Where's the fun in that? Dwarf crossbows as they are now are basically high tension bludgeons >:p

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2012, 05:14:08 pm »

Yeah, but at least a repeating dorf crossbow would do more than cause light bruising when the bolts hit something.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2012, 05:19:46 pm »

Yeah, but at least a repeating dorf crossbow would do more than cause light bruising when the bolts hit something.
What's that supposed to mean. On their own, crossbows turn crappy bolts into anti tank missiles that tear through candy. Do you really want the Dorf children to be running around with automatic missile launchers?!

*Do not aim at eyes or feet. Upper body's ok though.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2012, 05:21:09 pm »

What's that supposed to mean. On their own, crossbows turn crappy bolts into anti tank missiles that tear through candy. Do you really want the Dorf children to be running around with automatic missile launchers?!

*Do not aim at eyes or feet. Upper body's ok though.

What am I, sane? Of course that's what I want!

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 30, 2012, 06:56:14 pm »

Sounds like you need a Burleigh & Stronginthearm "Great Leveller" Cart-Mounted Ten-Bank 500lb Crossbow. And a troll to fire it.

http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/%22Great_Leveller%22_Cart-Mounted_Ten-Bank_500-Pound_Crossbow
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9