Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXXII - E3 - Game Over - Scum Victory  (Read 81871 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

That's an interesting aspect, but I think you're talking about self-confidence, while I'm talking about the "hubris" part of pride. I use "pride" to mean "hubris" more often (Ancient Greek lessons FTW), and "swallow your self-confidence" hardly makes sense. Looks like a simple misunderstanding.

The way I see it, this'd complement my previous point as well. People who are full of hubris make for entertaining games, and are more likely to slip up. If everyone swallowed their hubris, I imagine they'd be a lot more careful, which would make scumhunting harder.
Scum would be more careful, but everyone would contribute constructively, and scumhunting would become more organized and focused. People who do not contribute constructively are about the worst thing that can happen to a Mafia game IMO.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

That said, good night.

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

drakon136, let's say it's LYLO, and someone claims doctor. As you'll recall, BMs sometimes have a doctor in them and sometimes don't, but they're always town if so. Would you believe such a claim, and therefore by extension that the person making it is confirmed town? How would you feel towards people who advocated lynching them anyway? Avoiding lynching them despite reasons to do so?
It would depend. I'd go back and examine their previous behavior, noting any scumtells (minor or major scumtells) made on previous days. If they've seemed incredibly scummy for most of / part of the game, I wouldn't even consider believing them. If they haven't seemed too scummy, I'd likely believe them.

Drakon, if you were scum, whom among the non-ICs would you prefer as your buddy and why?
Out of the non-ICs, I'd probably pick Tiruin. From what I've noticed, he is more experienced than most other players in this game.

drakon136: Let's say you're a cop, how would you determine your targets, saying that they are not on the lynching block? I.E. The most vague and not scummy, or the most scummy in terms of newbie-ness?
Not quite sure what you mean by "in the terms of newbie-ness," but I'd inspect the most vague player first. Vagueness is a scumtell, and no matter how minor it is, a scumtell is a scumtell. People will almost always give off scumtells in posts, so I believe that even though a person doesn't seem very scummy, that in itself is often worthy of suspicion.

drakon, you are the Cop. Who would you inspect first (i.e. N1), an IC or a new player who's dropped some questionable scum/noobtells?
I'd first inspect an IC. IC's are much more experienced than most players in a BM, hence the title 'IC'. As they are more experienced, they are less prone to making mistakes and giving off scumtells, and people will often be less suspicious of them. Being an IC doesn't mean a person is immune to suspicion, or guaranteed to be town.

That's all I'll be able to do for today, as I have homework to catch up on.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile

FYI, I'll be at uni tomorrow, I'll probably be back at my computer in about sixteen, eighteen hours or so. My laptop's internet connection is dodgier than a level 30 Rogue, so I might or might not be able to come online before I'm home again. So don't expect me to reliably be able to answer (or, for that matter, ask) questions before that time.

Mod, I have a question that's been bugging me for a while. (It has nothing to do with the current game.) It's to do with the term Inexperienced Challenged. I know what's meant by it, but I cannot for the life of me figure out the syntax behind the phrase. I know it doesn't really matter, but it's just been driving me up the wall since I first came to this board.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a joke that started long long ago, when political correctness was trendy. The idea was that instead of calling the experienced players a lot better than the new players, we would say they were just less inexperienced than the others, 'Inexperienced Challenged.' It's syntactically equivalent to 'developmentally challenged.'
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Votecount!

Tiruin [2]: Strategia, MagmaMcFry
Dariush [1]: Painiac
Painiac [1]: Scelly9
MagmaMcFry [1]: Tiruin
Strategia [1]: IronyOwl

Not Voting: Dariush, Dr.Phibes, drakon136

Day ends Friday!

New topic posted in the Labrador Canine Squad forums: Freakin' chihuahua scum.

My leader just got caught by an Arch-Chihuahua Death Squad member I was trying to seduce. Any tips for how to break out of the pound?
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

You can only try raiding the catacombs at this point now.

Painiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dr.Phibes, you're kinda passive. Only answering questions, and asked questions to targets I had choose before. You can't do some research on your own? What are you thinking about other players, any impressions?

drakon136, I can understand you have school/RL, but could you try asking some questions later, instead of only aswering them?

Tiruin, what role would you enjoy more - scum, or townie?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

Oooooh. Here I was being all cute and fluffy, hoping for several similarly cute and fluffy, wide-eyed and agreeable newbies, and instead I find a bunch of self-important tight-assed goatfuckers. Well then, let's play rough.

Tiruin:
Now, let's say you are scum. Who would you lay the NK on? A fanatically aggressive townie who draws most of the attention from everyone in his successful scumhunt, a replacement who has done his fair share of hunting or a random lurker who hasn't gained any attention and why?
If by 'successful scumhunt' you mean the townie is attacking actual scum, I would NK him and tunnel anyone attempting to stick the kill onto my buddy for trying to get results from NKs.

Magma McScum:
Please scumhunt for me, I am too lazy
So, I should 'spit out', as you say, all the traits and behavior of present people so you can sit back and lurk. Not cool, not cool at all.

Scummiac:
Roleplaying
I hate it when games devolve into offtopic, and especially after the first post by some cretin, but for now I'll attempt to lower myself to your immeasurable depths of stupidity and explain it bit by bit.
Only moderators can delete threads.
There are a whopping two moderators on this forum, who happen to be brothers.
Can you guess whom am I talking about? Actually wait, don't strain your puny brain, I'll crack. It's Toady and Threetoe. The flavor isn't based on a true story. The note was a lie. What a twist.

You are already twisting my post into roleplaying, and dismissing my question as useless. Something like very passive OMGUS... OH WAIT, I GOT REACTION HERE! Therefore, not useless.

I admit it's weak question, weak prod. But, if I would find it not useful, I can always ask second question.

So, Dariush. What you have to say about your weak OMGUS? Why you hadn't vote anybody yet (me, for example)?
Gods, looks like I have to explain it in every BM I'm ICing in.

I am an IC. I have been playing Mafia here for about one and a half years and been in about 90% of games in that time. My goal is to teach you to play and to further this goal I'll disregard my actual wincon whatever that could be. I could easily tunnel anybody present (well, except IO and maaaaybe Tiruin) to lynch in no time, but instead I point out your mistakes, and when I do, you shut up and listen instead of crying foul.

'Judging reactions' never works, except maybe against newbies who'll panic regardless of aligment. You pulled that OMGUS accusation out of your ass because I didn't even attack you, let alone vote you. I vote whenever the fuck I want to, and taunting people 'why aren't you voting me' is yet another scumtell. What is that, fourth? Let's go over that again - roleplaying, useless question, bullshit claim about judging reactions, lying about OMGUS, taunting. Sorry, make that fifth. Nice going for just two posts, you sack of shit.

I had pointed my question at Dariush precisely because he's Dariush - he can be flippy-flappy about questions like that when he's scum.
Wow, really. And you obviously have deep meta knowledge of my aligment-dependant behavior. How reassuring.

Show me real scumhunting instead nagging Dariush like beggar for info. That's not purpose of IC's.
Oooh, hypocrisy. First you attack me on bullshit accusation, then you chainsaw me. Make that six.

Dr.Scumes:
Since this is a BM, I'll answer: I'm not scum. But in any other game you'll be quickly given shit to eat for such a question (like is being done by Scelly, but on a higher scale).
How can we know your not a mafia? Just beacuse its a BM doesent mean you cant lie. I am watching you Dariush.
You shitfucking sack of vomit. Even disregarding your edit, that is the most bullshit thing I've read in this thread, and beating Painiac in that regard took some work, I'll grant you that. Now, I'll try to explain why that is so, so people who care more about being good at this game than being a self-obsessed prick who can't admit that he's a newbie and listen to some advice may know what they should never do. 1) Yes, I can lie. However, there's no way I could answer that question that wouldn't exclude that possibility. Let's try that on you, you piece of shit.

Dr.Phibes, why are you SCUMMMMMMM?

And just you try to evade the question. Just you try.
2) That 'I'm watching you' serves no purpose whatsoever. You are supposed to watch everyone.
3) That 'How can we know you're not a mafia' is WIFOM of the worst quality. There's no way you can be sure of that. Now shut up and scumhunt. Also, learn to spell.
4) Well, I thought there would be more points, but I'll wait until you answer the first question. I'm not in a hurry.

Phew, I'm done with the first 50-post page. And there's so much more goatshit on the second one.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

Scummiac:
Is that really your reason for suspecting Dariush? It's WIFOM, null tell, no info there.
...You accused me of OMGUS because of the very same post, you know.

OH GOD THE HYPOCRISY IT BURNSSSSSSS

Gosh, watch what are you copying. Or you are too lazy to even bother?
Why do you care about people's formatting errors? Do you think scum are more likely to commit them than townies?

Also, more accuse-then-chainsaw.

Dariush reply to my post and yours stinks of scum. Needs more looking.
I stink of scum after a whopping one post, most of which was IC stuff. Nice nose you have there. Maybe it's your brain that stinks from inside instead?

Scelly:
Painiac, if you where scum, who of the current players (IC's not included) would you like as scumbuddy?
That would be all well and good if I didn't ask the very same question, with the very same exclusion of ICs. Why aren't you reading the thread?

Magma McScum:
Dariush, you have been constantly active on the forums for almost eight hours after I repeated my question, but you haven't answered it yet, which makes me even more suspicious. Now that I have given my reasons for asking this question, I will ask you one last time, and I expect you to swallow your pride (it doesn't belong in a Mafia game) and answer this question to everyone's fullest satisfaction. Which of this game's players have you played with/against before this game, and how do they play as town and scum?
I already answered it and explained what I think about it in my previous post. You can go fuck yourself now.

People have life, but Dariush has had time for this post and six others since I asked. Also, it would be relatively harmless if Dariush had ignored my question, but instead, he chose to give something totally unhelpful. And unhelpful is not good.
Even ignoring the fact that writing up ideas for an RTD takes up far less effort than making a productive post in Mafia, your post was made almost 20 minutes after mine in that thread. If you're that intent of dragging up incriminating facts, check them first, you fucksucker.

Dr.Scummes:
Dariush, if we say you were a scum, who would be your first target and why?
Instead of me answering your question, let's examine two possibilities: 1) I answer, the guy I named dies. Next day you accuse me. 2) I answer, someone else dies. You say that I did that intentionally so you won't accuse me and accuse me because of it. This is utter bullshit WIFOM.

Dr.Phibes, what were you hoping to gain from my answer to the above question? And don't you dare answer something along the lines of 'your reaction'. Just don't you dare.

Dr.Phibes

• Bay Watcher
  • More than meets the eye
    • View Profile

Painiac, havent seen much of drakon123 or tiruin, strategia seems pretty cool to me and you are are the most active player around which tells me you really wanna catch some scums. I dont know why you all hate McFry, all he did was asking a question. To me Dariush is the most fishy guy here :/

Darisuh, Why so harsh? I posted later what i meant by the "i am not scum" part. And the, if you were a scum who would you kill and why? I felt you was being pressured, so if we say you are a scum who do you see as the biggest treath to you right now and why?

Dident you got mad beacuse Painiac wrote that to you? And now you are doing the exact samething? Well i am not a scum, but i dont need to adrees that this is a BM.

It seems to me you are just attacking players and saying nothing relavant. And the vote on me was just stupid, feels like you dont care who you votes on.

Dariush, i can imagine you next post... 
If one person has an imaginary friend, they're crazy, if many people have the same imaginary friend it's religion?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Wow, activity spike. Hooray. Responding to early comments.

PFP, will get back in a few hours

Also, PPE (Dr.Phibes)

Unvote, Vote Painiac: Both, actually. Attitude and perspective shifts between each, and I love playing perspective, helps keep the mind flowing.

Also, based on your recent posts, you seem very fast to give impressions on others, saying who is more townie than the rest, despite it being an opinion. Like trying to tout your towniness by being this transparent? Showing it without pushing them further to affirm it? Hah! As of this post, you seem very aggravated on a simple vote on you by Dariush. It is RVS and I believe your questioning is going awry from reasoning.

Then you Quote Mine on McFry? Oooooh, look at the bias that gives.

Also, tunnel on Dariush based on his ONLY post before that. Sure.

Strategia: Right here. I had problems connecting earlier but be assured, I do not use RL excuses to get away from a Mafia game.

Dr.Phibes: A little bit of formatting and wording would help the general coherence of what you're trying to say. There is a "Preview" button for a purpose. The sloppy posts you give shows that you may not care what you put, just to post to show activity. Cut down on your smileys please.

Since this is a BM, I'll answer: I'm not scum. But in any other game you'll be quickly given shit to eat for such a question (like is being done by Scelly, but on a higher scale).
How can we know your not a mafia? Just beacuse its a BM doesent mean you cant lie. I am watching you Dariush.
Wow, off tangent question here. You can know by scumhunting.

Painiac, havent seen much of drakon123 or tiruin, strategia seems pretty cool to me and you are are the most active player around which tells me you really wanna catch some scums...
Goodness, activity being the reason? Wow, good sir. Quantity =/= Scumhunting! Quality is! And in the same post you become a total hypocrite by reiterating the "I am not scum" part after saying the same of Dariush. Huh, sure, nice work being a truthful townie.
Darisuh, Why so harsh? I posted later what i meant by the "i am not scum" part. And the, if you were a scum who would you kill and why? I felt you was being pressured, so if we say you are a scum who do you see as the biggest treath to you right now and why?

Dident you got mad beacuse Painiac wrote that to you? And now you are doing the exact samething? Well i am not a scum, but i dont need to adrees that this is a BM.

It seems to me you are just attacking players and saying nothing relavant. And the vote on me was just stupid, feels like you dont care who you votes on.
Goodness the reasoning is far below the understanding line. You're going against whatever you said earlier! I find relevant ideas in Dariush's post, just as I do yours, both semantically and grammatically. Whats with the "I don't need to address that this is a BM" thing, hm?

drakon136: Huh, post = answers and nothing to question others, are you satisfied with reading off everyone elses finds or are you going to do-it-yourself?

McFry: This. You already suspect Dariush out of the blue (heh, pun) based on one single post. What? If that was for pressure, paint it nicely in red.

Like I said, more is coming up later on! (Cursed blackout...)

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile

It's a joke that started long long ago, when political correctness was trendy. The idea was that instead of calling the experienced players a lot better than the new players, we would say they were just less inexperienced than the others, 'Inexperienced Challenged.' It's syntactically equivalent to 'developmentally challenged.'

I see, that's quite hilarious actually. Thanks.

Oooooh. Here I was being all cute and fluffy, hoping for several similarly cute and fluffy, wide-eyed and agreeable newbies, and instead I find a bunch of self-important tight-assed goatfuckers. Well then, let's play rough.

Oh yeah, now it gets fun. :D

Strategia: Right here. I had problems connecting earlier but be assured, I do not use RL excuses to get away from a Mafia game.

Ah, I was just wondering. There used to be relatively frequent blackouts where I live a few years ago as well, I know how much that sucks =/

Unvote.

Dr.Phibes:

You think mcfry is scum but you vote Strategia? Why? Strategia just asking questions. Feels like we will regret voting on him :/

Why?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

And...downing this just to clarify on the IC business before it goes right into the confusion hole on their purpose, guessing this pertains to all ICs, formatting is done by me to specify:

Quote from: Some helpful spiel from Jim Groovester, a previous BM IC
Now that the game has started and I am now responsible for teaching seven of you how to play a game, I will say the following first.

I will be a completely impartial source of advice that I will freely give at every opportunity, whether I am asked for it or I decide to give it on my own. You can trust that everything I have to say will be given in good faith, even if it comes at a personal cost to me in this game. If you do not listen to what I have to say, for any reason, you will severely hamper your ability to learn how to play the game. So, to reiterate,

Listen to what I tell you.

If you don't, then what's the point of me being here?

For those of you who don't know what to do, games usually start with the Random Vote Stage. You should pick a target randomly, vote them, and ask them a question. The sole purpose of this is to get conversation going when there would otherwise be no reason to do that. I'll start.

jaxler, let's say you're the Cop. You want to catch scum during the night with an inspection. What do you look for?

Ideally you should ask game related questions in the RVS. Asking what kind of flavor of ice cream is a player's favorite does absolutely nothing to help you find scum, which is your primary goal.

And because it bears repeating: Your primary goal is to find scum. Everything you do should help you towards that goal. And I do mean everything.

If you're scum, you will obviously have a different goal: Avoid detection until the end of the game. The best way to do this is to look like you are trying to find scum.

Since many of you are going to have no idea what to do and will mangle scumhunting in just about every possible way, it does you no good to hold back. So be bold, and just do the best you can. Ask lots of questions, try to get a good feel for how the game is played. I'll be there to help you when you go wrong.

Additionally, before anybody else does anything, I will stress the importance of activity. You should be as active as possible. A good guideline is to get one good post in a day, but if you can post productively more often than that it's generally a good idea to do so. As a player, town or scum, being active and visible is very much an asset, as you're out there making yourself readable, and this is considered a town quality. While there are very good personal benefits to being active, the reverse is detrimental to the whole game. Low activity makes games hard to play or outright kills them. This is fun for absolutely no one, so make a good effort and be active.

If you played a Beginner's Game before you probably recognize this spiel, but it's good all the same.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Evidence. (click to show/hide)
Conclusion: Dariush.

PPE:
McFry: This. You already suspect Dariush out of the blue (heh, pun) based on one single post. What? If that was for pressure, paint it nicely in red.
Until now, it wasn't enough.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26