Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXXII - E3 - Game Over - Scum Victory  (Read 81854 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

Ironyowl. Let's assume for a second that you're scum. Do you think the fact that you're an IC would give you an advantage in remaining undetected?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Painiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the information given by the ICs can't be used for scumtells
You are stating it yourself, duh. You are stepping on thin ice of meta scumtells. Using information from other games isn't that bad, but VERY risky. You need to play with such person constantly, see several games where such person is scum or third party. WHILE such person stopped making easy mistakes due to being inexperienced. And you need time to digest your info. It's basically not worth the effort if player sucks at playing mafia. Not mentioning that these scumtells are subjective, and may mean nothing to anyone other. It's not solid argument. You shouldn't use these as your only excuse to lynch someone, that's just plain stupid.

And there you are, begging for nicely packed info, so you can START thinking. Your attitude as town is horrible. If you WANT to have some scumtells from BM's - read these yourself, do your own homework!

The best solution - do some real SCUMHUNTING!

Dariush, I am crying because I didn't get my answer

People have life, live with it. And while we are at this, why are you so goddamn unproductive, scum?

Strategia asks red or blue question three times, so she doesn't care about questions at all - good scumtell. But, probably newbietell. So, she can be attacked for that.

I'm not a she. And the "red or blue" questions do have a purpose, if only for me. In fact, Painiac: red or blue?

Sorry for that.

Red. Explain these purposes for me, Strategia.

Dr.Phibes, that was question for you.
How can we know your not a mafia? Just beacuse its a BM doesent mean you cant lie. I am watching you Dariush.

Is that really your reason for suspecting Dariush? It's WIFOM, null tell, no info there.

Dr.Phibes

• Bay Watcher
  • More than meets the eye
    • View Profile

Painiac, sry cant understand the short terms very well :( Explain what it means and i will answer.
On a side note, you said you were going to hang back and just watch a while. Have something you find interesting happaned or is 2 hours enough for chilling? Or did you just say that to drop suspicion on your aggresive play?
If one person has an imaginary friend, they're crazy, if many people have the same imaginary friend it's religion?

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile

Tell me why I'm wrong. Give me any situation where it would be considered acceptable to deny an answer to a good question.

I was talking about "swallow your pride, it has no place in Mafia". Denying an answer to a good question is unacceptable, no argument there.

That would invalidate the purpose of asking the question. Also, it has no immediate bearing on whether or not I vote someone.

Dr.Phibes: I still have an open question for you.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

MagmaMcFry, Its seems to me your just trying to find something that makes Dariush a bit suspicious so no one will suspect that you are a scum when you vote on him. You dont care who you votes on, but you want some solid info beacuse if you just said Dariush is fishy you would have been suspescted or maybe lynched by now. Or am i wrong?
Nope, completely wrong. First, I already said that Dariush is fishy, and I've already given reasons why I think he is fishy. Now I'm pressuring him and trying to find displayable evidence that he is scum, because that's what I strongly suspect he is. If I find enough evidence, I'll display it to you and vote him, because then he's scum and scum should be lynched. On the other hand, if Dariush manages to convince me that he's town, I'll switch to someone else and pressure him instead. The fact that Dariush isn't posting here does not make it easier for me.
In short, I'm scumhunting.

the information given by the ICs can't be used for scumtells
You are stating it yourself, duh. You are stepping on thin ice of meta scumtells. Using information from other games isn't that bad, but VERY risky. You need to play with such person constantly, see several games where such person is scum or third party. WHILE such person stopped making easy mistakes due to being inexperienced. And you need time to digest your info. It's basically not worth the effort if player sucks at playing mafia. Not mentioning that these scumtells are subjective, and may mean nothing to anyone other. It's not solid argument. You shouldn't use these as your only excuse to lynch someone, that's just plain stupid.

As I told you before, the information is not for scumtells, but for helping you find your own opinion. You still have to find proof yourself. If you think it's useless, feel free to completely disregard it.

And there you are, begging for nicely packed info, so you can START thinking. Your attitude as town is horrible. If you WANT to have some scumtells from BM's - read these yourself, do your own homework!

As you can see, I'm doing a lot of thinking, even without info. Also, I've done my homework. If you can't believe that the information itself isn't just for me, then I can't help you with that.

The best solution - do some real SCUMHUNTING!

I'm scumhunting on Dariush, if you haven't noticed yet.

Dariush, I am crying because I didn't get my answer
People have life, live with it.

Please stop modifying my posts, it looks like you want to badmouth me.
People have life, but Dariush has had time for this post and six others since I asked. Also, it would be relatively harmless if Dariush had ignored my question, but instead, he chose to give something totally unhelpful. And unhelpful is not good.

And while we are at this, why are you so goddamn unproductive, scum?
I have a suspicion and am following it. How have you been productive so far?

Tell me why I'm wrong. Give me any situation where it would be considered acceptable to deny an answer to a good question.

I was talking about "swallow your pride, it has no place in Mafia". Denying an answer to a good question is unacceptable, no argument there.
Okay, then tell me why "swallow your pride, it has no place in Mafia" is wrong.

Dr.Phibes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Strategia What do you mean with red or blue? should i pick one? If thats the case i go with blue.
If one person has an imaginary friend, they're crazy, if many people have the same imaginary friend it's religion?

Painiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

WIFOM - Wine In Front Of Me, the circular reasoning that results from trying to determine the choices of an opponent who acted with full knowledge that his behavior would be subject to scrutiny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9f3GSA9yfc

I just want to say that your reason for suspecting Dariush is argument, which means nothing. Because, if he's town, he would say ,,I am not scum", if he's scum, he would also say ,,I am not scum". Don't WIFOM yourself. If you see something, that you can't be certain of, just leave it be.

Your argument is so weak it looks like you are just splashing some mud on Dariush, just for having poor excuse for possible bandwagon in future or something like that.

On a side note, you said you were going to hang back and just watch a while. Have something you find interesting happaned or is 2 hours enough for chilling? Or did you just say that to drop suspicion on your aggresive play?

I just can't pass on such obvious scumminess MagmaMcFry displays.

That would invalidate the purpose of asking the question. Also, it has no immediate bearing on whether or not I vote someone.
Wat.

You just don't have any good excuse for these questions, scum. And if these questions do not have any immediate bearing on voting - why ask them?

Strategia.

MagmaMcFry, you had asked him two (?) question, he's not around now. Maybe try other targets?

Dr.Phibes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Painiac, i just wanted to see hes reaction, its not that he said that he was not scum. I thought it was wierd for him to mark out that its BM and thats why he said "i am town" Just thought it to be odd.
You think mcfry is scum but you vote Strategia? Why? Strategia just asking questions. Feels like we will regret voting on him :/

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, then tell me why "swallow your pride, it has no place in Mafia" is wrong.

I recall reading somewhere (I can't find it anymore, unfortunately, though I think Jim said it) that if you're looking for humility, the Mafia board is the wrong place to look. And it stands to reason, too; Mafia is not just a game of logic, it's a clash of personalities. If you know (or think you know) someone's scum, you're supposed to go after them with everything you've got. If everyone lets go of their pride, you're going to have a very boring game, with people holding back because they don't feel they're certain enough. You have to be proud of who you are, and proud of your team, to succeed at Mafia. Besides, if you know you're a good player (like e.g. webadict), you should take pride in that and use it to your advantage. I've seen at least one or two games that wuba played like a fiddle. If he was to "let go of his pride", he wouldn't be nearly as good as he is.

Strategia What do you mean with red or blue? should i pick one? If thats the case i go with blue.

Thanks for that, but that's not what I asked. Here it is;

Phibes, you are scum and the game is at LYLO. Your scumbuddy has been catching a lot of flak throughout the game, but everyone thinks you're squeaky clean. Would you bus your scumbuddy? Would you vote first, right after the night ends, or would you wait until others have done so already?

Make sure to read posts thoroughly, missing questions like this can cost you in the future. Especially when someone points it out to you, with a link.

Wat.

You just don't have any good excuse for these questions, scum. And if these questions do not have any immediate bearing on voting - why ask them?

I have my reasons for asking them, and so far it's all lined up how I expected. There's no trap or value judgement or anything of the sort attached to the question. And if we were only supposed to ask questions that have an immediate bearing on voting, we'd basically be asking "So, are you scum?" of everyone, and RVS questions of the sort that are common around here wouldn't exist. The whole point of asking questions at all is to get a feeling for the player who answers them. Your vote is weak.

Tiruin, drakon, where are you?

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Was at school. Working on my post right now.

Dr.Phibes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

StrategiaSry dident now it was a link xD
Well i wouldent just jump on the lynch train, but i would vote on him if it was solid evidence that he was a scum. And i would prolly be in the middle :)

Painiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Painiac, i just wanted to see hes reaction, its not that he said that he was not scum. I thought it was wierd for him to mark out that its BM and thats why he said "i am town" Just thought it to be odd.
You think mcfry is scum but you vote Strategia? Why? Strategia just asking questions. Feels like we will regret voting on him :/
Hmm, you have a good point about Dariush.

I can't tell if MagmaMcFry is being scum or newbie. I FoSed him for now. Strategia had denied answer to my question, while I was accusing him for spewing out questions without caring about them, which is scummy. It was deserving a vote.

But, I got nice logical answer, so unvote, vote Dariush. MagmaMcFry has some point, you kinda could answer to his question, and mine too while at this. I'm not accusing you of lurking or anything though, it would be stupid.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

MagmaMcFry, you had asked him two (?) question, he's not around now. Maybe try other targets?
Great idea, if I hadn't done that already. Here's a question I asked you earlier.
How have you been productive so far?

I recall reading somewhere (I can't find it anymore, unfortunately, though I think Jim said it) that if you're looking for humility, the Mafia board is the wrong place to look. And it stands to reason, too; Mafia is not just a game of logic, it's a clash of personalities. If you know (or think you know) someone's scum, you're supposed to go after them with everything you've got. If everyone lets go of their pride, you're going to have a very boring game, with people holding back because they don't feel they're certain enough. You have to be proud of who you are, and proud of your team, to succeed at Mafia. Besides, if you know you're a good player (like e.g. webadict), you should take pride in that and use it to your advantage. I've seen at least one or two games that wuba played like a fiddle. If he was to "let go of his pride", he wouldn't be nearly as good as he is.
That's an interesting aspect, but I think you're talking about self-confidence, while I'm talking about the "hubris" part of pride. I use "pride" to mean "hubris" more often (Ancient Greek lessons FTW), and "swallow your self-confidence" hardly makes sense. Looks like a simple misunderstanding.

Painiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In my humble opinion, Strategia is very townie.

You started looking more like newbish town.

Scelly looks neutral. That would be perfect for scum. Needs more looking.

Dr.Phibes is newbie and is totally unreadable. It can be dangerous.

Dariush reply to my post and yours stinks of scum. Needs more looking.

That's my thoughts and products of my efforts so far.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's an interesting aspect, but I think you're talking about self-confidence, while I'm talking about the "hubris" part of pride. I use "pride" to mean "hubris" more often (Ancient Greek lessons FTW), and "swallow your self-confidence" hardly makes sense. Looks like a simple misunderstanding.

The way I see it, this'd complement my previous point as well. People who are full of hubris make for entertaining games, and are more likely to slip up. If everyone swallowed their hubris, I imagine they'd be a lot more careful, which would make scumhunting harder.

Why?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26