Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXXII - E3 - Game Over - Scum Victory  (Read 81776 times)

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, for real this time. Not my fault some asshole used my internet to download their crap and made me go over my monthly cap last game. :/

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Day 1 has begun! It will end Friday 9:00 PM!

The 9 of you are moderators for the Labrador Canine Squad forums, better known as LCS. A popular game made by the Elf Fortress developer FroggyTwo, it has spun off with its own developers and its own forum on the Elf Fortress site. There's so much activity, however, that the moderator staff of 2 has recently been stepped up to 9.

Two days ago, much to everyone's befuddlement, the main help thread, some 50 pages long, was totally deleted. It was recreated after everyone assumed it was just database errors.

Yesterday, it was deleted again. No two ways about it, it's definitely sabotage now. But how to prove it? Only FroggyTwo has access to the IP and moderator action logs.

It was decided that they'd vote on someone to target each day, and force then to put up a post that will get them instantly banned. FroggyTwo, in the process of banning them, will naturally check their moderation activity to see what they did, and then everything will be cleared up.

Why can't we just ask him, you question?

Where's the fun in that?

*This game is based on a true story. Names, facts, and pretty much everything that involves Mafia have been fabricated to protect no one at all.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Painiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow, seriously some douche was deleting treads? People can be so immature on Internet sometimes.

Dariush, why are you SCUMMMMMM?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

Wow, seriously some douche was deleting treads? People can be so immature on Internet sometimes.

Why a useless question, Painiac?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Greetings! I hope you are all ready to play some Mafia.

As you may be aware, I am an IC this game. This means that while I am a player, subject to the same rules and probabilities as all the rest of you, I'm also a more experienced player who's primary interest is in helping you play mafia better. This means that while I am not a flawless source of infinite wisdom, you can trust my advice to be fairly credible and well-intentioned, even if I happen to be scum.

As a consequence to this, you should probably listen when I have something to say.

So, let's get started, shall we? The most important part of Mafia is actually playing Mafia. This might sound fairly self-evident, but a lot of people tend to have trouble with it. If you find yourself waiting for something to happen, you should probably go out and make something happen. Passive, lurky play benefits scum. You don't want to benefit (or look like you want to benefit) scum, do you?

"But IronyOwl," you say, "I don't know how to catch scum!" Well, that's why you're here, isn't it? If you don't know what you're doing, ask and/or try anyway. Either way, an IC will be along shortly to explain what you should be doing and why.

So, without further ado, let's begin leading by example, shall we?

drakon136, let's say it's LYLO, and someone claims doctor. As you'll recall, BMs sometimes have a doctor in them and sometimes don't, but they're always town if so. Would you believe such a claim, and therefore by extension that the person making it is confirmed town? How would you feel towards people who advocated lynching them anyway? Avoiding lynching them despite reasons to do so?

Strategia, are you happy with your faction and role, or were you hoping for something different?

Dr.Phibes, what's your preferred playstyle? Do you have playstyles you really like or hate to see in other people? Are they dependent on circumstances, ie really liking lurky play in others when you're scum but hating it when you're town?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Trololol u mad bros?

Painiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why a useless question, Painiac?
Bah, it's not useless. I can check reaction with this question, so it's not useless.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

Tiruin, what are your favourite scumtells and why?

Dariush and IronyOwl, which of this game's players have you played with/against before this game, and how do they play as town and scum? How do you play?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

Argh, every IC has some kind of long-winded greeting except me. :( Oh well. I'm Dariush, and I'm extremely white and fluffy. Any interactions with me may will result in sanity, blood, limb and life loss.

Congratulations, your very first post in the game and there are already two things wrong with it! First, roleplay is heavily discouraged around here. It shows that the roleplayer is far too relaxed, which probably means he's scum. Second, useless questions like that are EXTREMELY heavily discouraged around here. When asking any question, think: How does it help you find scum? What are you going to do depending on the answer? Or, alternately, if you're scum: Does it look like activelurking (i.e. technically being in game but contributing nothing to the discussion)? Does it allow you to continue an attack on a weak premise?

Since this is a BM, I'll answer: I'm not scum. But in any other game you'll be quickly given shit to eat for such a question (like is being done by Scelly, but on a higher scale).

Dariush and IronyOwl, which of this game's players have you played with/against before this game, and how do they play as town and scum? How do you play?
I played with everyone except Painiac and Dr.Phibes. Everyone is a decent player. Except you. You are a self-obsessed moron. Now, what was the purpose of your questions?

Drakon, if you were scum, whom among the non-ICs would you prefer as your buddy and why?

Tiruin, whom against the non-ICs do you consider the best town player and why?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

{About flavor: That was a true story? Wow.} Requesting player list.

Ahh, I love my mornings. Waking up to every BM like so. (PPE Dariush)

MagmaMcFry: (Can we use a shortened name?) Favorite scumtells? Hmm, theres the OMGUS, but the effect and scumminess of such is determined by the timing and content of the post. There's also lurking, but honestly, part of meta comes here and RL checking. Lying seems right, gives people time to actually focus in game on who is telling what, especially in games where flavor has an effect.

Truly, all of them in the [Scumhunting Bible]. A scumtell is a scumtell.

How does this help you find scum?

IronyOwl: This is the first time (in recent games) that I've seen you as a BM IC. How are you prepared to correct each player's scumhunting/perspective and to aid them generally? Straight to the point posts, or in detail ideas?

drakon136: Let's say you're a cop, how would you determine your targets, saying that they are not on the lynching block? I.E. The most vague and not scummy, or the most scummy in terms of newbie-ness?

Painiac: Judging by your posts, pre-game and in-game, I see you have some knowledge of Mafia set down. Who, among all us players do you fear most as scum? Also, why the pointed question at Dariush?

Dr.Phibes: Let's say you are the doctor, day 1 has gone and went with a dead townie. Another has requested a replacement which would be filled the coming morn, while everyone else seems vague in the current time. Who would you protect? The replacement, or the random person and why?

Strategia: Let's say the date is LYLO, nothing but dead townies all the way and you are a vanilla townie with no lead at all. If someone that you haven't a clear read on claims cop and outlines his details along with stating that you are town and that there was one Mafia unveiled, would you lynch the uncovered Mafioso?

Dariush: Best town player in my view hm? Well, I would say Strategia, however he is the only one I've played with or viewed in the most recent BM/Mafia games so that would be biased. However I've never seen any of the others, so I'd say Strategia. He has experience, but his first game was only as a replacement.

Now, let's say you are scum. Who would you lay the NK on? A fanatically aggressive townie who draws most of the attention from everyone in his successful scumhunt, a replacement who has done his fair share of hunting or a random lurker who hasn't gained any attention and why?

Scelly9: Let's say you've read most of the Mafia games in this whole board and many of the players you're playing with have been in those games. Would you judge your RVS vote based on metagaming knowledge, something related to Mafia or just something else?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

I played with everyone except Painiac and Dr.Phibes. Everyone is a decent player. Except you. You are a self-obsessed moron. Now, what was the purpose of your questions?
The purpose of my questions was to have the ICs spit out some detailed information on people's known individual playstyles, so everyone has some kind of idea about how others behave and can direct their scumhunting based on who is behaving differently than they are described. Naturally, the "not behaving as they are described" can't be used as a scumtell, because for all we know you could just be lying about the playstyles, but if A notices an inconsistency between B's described and exhibited behavior, he can just start focusing his scumhunt on B. So essentially, the information you and IronyOwl give acts as a minor hunting aid for everyone.

Or at least it would, if you had actually given some information, instead of immediately starting to act the unhelpful jerk that you've been during the entire previous BM.

MagmaMcFry: (Can we use a shortened name?) Favorite scumtells? Hmm, theres the OMGUS, but the effect and scumminess of such is determined by the timing and content of the post. There's also lurking, but honestly, part of meta comes here and RL checking. Lying seems right, gives people time to actually focus in game on who is telling what, especially in games where flavor has an effect.

Truly, all of them in the [Scumhunting Bible]. A scumtell is a scumtell.

How does this help you find scum?

Well, now I have some information on what kind of scumhunting to expect from you. Personally, I hate lurking as a scumtell, but that's probably because of the horrible, horrible last BM.
BTW: Call me McFry.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

Oh, and by the way:

Dariush[...], which of this game's players have you played with/against before this game, and how do they play as town and scum? How do you play?

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile

Strategia, are you happy with your faction and role, or were you hoping for something different?

I didn't have any preference going into this game, so I'd be happy either way.

Strategia: Let's say the date is LYLO, nothing but dead townies all the way and you are a vanilla townie with no lead at all. If someone that you haven't a clear read on claims cop and outlines his details along with stating that you are town and that there was one Mafia unveiled, would you lynch the uncovered Mafioso?

I'd take it with a grain of salt at least, re-read the thread to check the supposed cop's behaviour. Especially who they voted for, and why. If it's been dead townies all the way, and said cop was on board with most or all of those lynches, I don't think I'd believe it just on face value. I'd also check the posts of the supposed mafioso, if they seem scummier than the supposed cop then that would lend some credence to the latter's claims. I guess who I'd vote depended on how many people are left for LYLO, if it's just us three then it all depends on my re-read, if it's more (three townies vs. two mafia being the most conventional layout) then I'd also be taking other people into account of course.

And now for RVS.

Scelly, in this game, barring ICs, who would you want as your scumbuddy? Who would you not want as scumbuddy?

drakon, you are the Cop. Who would you inspect first (i.e. N1), an IC or a new player who's dropped some questionable scum/noobtells?

Phibes, you are scum and the game is at LYLO. Your scumbuddy has been catching a lot of flak throughout the game, but everyone thinks you're squeaky clean. Would you bus your scumbuddy? Would you vote first, right after the night ends, or would you wait until others have done so already?

Tiruin, red or blue?

Magma, red or blue?

Painiac, you have several votes on you. Do you defend yourself or point out someone else for them to vote?

IronyOwl, red or blue?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

Bah, it's not useless. I can check reaction with this question, so it's not useless.
Technically I could "check reaction" with the question: "Do you like dinosaurs?" But it would still be useless.
So, Painiac, what did you get from his reply?

Scelly9: Let's say you've read most of the Mafia games in this whole board and many of the players you're playing with have been in those games. Would you judge your RVS vote based on metagaming knowledge, something related to Mafia or just something else?
I would choose my RVS vote via Random.org. At least until someone does something other than what they normally do.

Scelly, in this game, barring ICs, who would you want as your scumbuddy? Who would you not want as scumbuddy?

I think if I where scum I would like Tiruin as my scumbuddy. He seems to have a bit of experience. Secondly, I would NOT want Painiac as my scumbuddy. Mostly because he just did something rather scummy in his very first post.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26