Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 673151 times)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #1815 on: December 05, 2012, 04:27:15 am »

According to the RPS article, they did want it to fail. Or rather, they wanted it to double its target since they reached 100K on an earlier failed 500K kickstarter. The article also quotes the dev with "I had already contributed an extensive amount of my own money to the Kickstarter". Not 100% sure what was meant there, but I hope he wasn't contributing to his own kickstarter.

Surely seems to be many layers of fail present here.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: December 07, 2012, 12:50:58 am »

If I understand this project correctly, he just wanted to remake MULE right? Not sure whether a remake would justify $500,000 in the first place.

EDIT: And apparently MULE was already remade anyway so...the project seems even more pointless.

EDIT2: If "donating to your own Kickstarter so as to secure other people's donations" is a valid tactic, my respect for Kickstarter has dropped tremendously. The platform is far too open to abuse.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 01:00:52 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: December 07, 2012, 03:33:54 am »

EDIT2: If "donating to your own Kickstarter so as to secure other people's donations" is a valid tactic, my respect for Kickstarter has dropped tremendously. The platform is far too open to abuse.

It's not a valid tactic, it's against the rules and considered money laundering by banks.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: December 07, 2012, 03:38:18 am »

It's not a valid tactic, it's against the rules and considered money laundering by banks.

It wouldn't be money laundering... though it being against the rules is certainly telling.

I actually had no issue with donating to yourself "IF" there is an actual obligation to use that money... but when I look at what most people use the money on.

A lot of kickstarters do not use their donations on the game. A lot of them are really "Pay me for an extended vacation so I can work on this game more".

I mean I cannot blame some of them for pocketing their funding when they are overfunded... but still there is a certain part of me that goes "Wait... we are paying you to make a game, that you will sell and pocket the money? I am feeling almost like there is an inbalance here"

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: December 07, 2012, 04:11:04 am »

Here's an interesting case. MIT startup successfully funds their 3D printer project with almost $3 million in pledges (30 times their $100K goal). Less than a month later the patent infringement lawsuit appears.

Here's the patent in question: ”Simultaneous multiple layer curing in stereolithography.”

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: December 07, 2012, 08:56:59 am »

Well, at least 3D Systems actually does produce 3D printers.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: December 07, 2012, 09:38:18 am »

It wouldn't be money laundering... though it being against the rules is certainly telling.

Also, Amazon will detect you paying yourself and lock your funds, preventing you from getting that money entirely.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: December 07, 2012, 01:23:57 pm »

If the project has multiple people working on it though you could likely get around that.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: December 07, 2012, 03:12:42 pm »

If the project has multiple people working on it though you could likely get around that.

Yes, it's entirely possible.  At which point you have to consider the 5-10% fee for using the service (both Kickstarter and Amazon take a cut).

But yes, in the case of the project that failed by $28 it'd have been worth calling up Grandma and telling her you'll pay her back.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: December 07, 2012, 03:48:19 pm »

The major difference between Kickstarter and real life is mostly...

Kickstarter fully supports and encourages Imbezzlement.

It is actually one of my largest issues with it. You never can know how much someone imbezzles and by all means they have the "right" to imbezzle.

Kickstarter is only against being obvious about the fact that all the kickstarter is, is a "give me money" drive.

Note: I am somewhat aware that Embezzle is spelt incorrectly.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 05:58:18 pm by Neonivek »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: December 07, 2012, 06:03:40 pm »

Kickstarter fully supports and encourages Imbezzlement.

Embezzlement.  With an E.
Your browser has a spellchecker for a reason.

Secondly: ENCOURAGES?

Note: I am somewhat aware that Embezzle is spelt incorrectly.

1) Spell it correctly please
2) "Spelled" is the correct past tense version of "to spell."
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 06:05:33 pm by Draco18s »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: December 07, 2012, 06:10:13 pm »

Your browser has a spellchecker for a reason

No it really doesn't.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: December 07, 2012, 06:12:46 pm »

No it really doesn't.

The hell are you using?  Internet Explorer 6?

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: December 07, 2012, 07:31:22 pm »

No it really doesn't.

The hell are you using?  Internet Explorer 6?
Maybe he's trying to say that his browser has a spell-check for no reason.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: December 07, 2012, 09:03:37 pm »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1330163305/hexels-the-completely-modular-settlers-of-catan-ga

So that kickstarter, from what I can is to make large enough order for custom set of Catan Board Pieces. Its not to start a business, exactly, or fund making the new board pieces. Its to make a large enough order that it wont be stupidly expensive.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 213