Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 673130 times)

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #1800 on: October 20, 2012, 11:13:17 pm »

Why in the hell would anyone look at that video and think,'Yep, some dude sitting around in a sheep mask represents exactly what we want to accomplish.'?
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: October 20, 2012, 11:54:15 pm »

You're joking. :|
You're not joking.
*HEAVY SIGH*

That looks like a poorly rendered version of Sauerbraten with a custom player model.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: October 21, 2012, 12:12:35 am »

Why in the hell would anyone look at that video and think,'Yep, some dude sitting around in a sheep mask represents exactly what we want to accomplish.'?

It's probably a camel mask, since, and I quote:

Quote from: Kickstarter Page
I decided sheep were not strong enough to hold the interest of boys in HEAVEN's age group. Too soft.

I still have no clue how camels relate to a Christianity-based board game though.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: October 21, 2012, 12:19:16 am »

I decided sheep were not strong enough to hold the interest of boys in HEAVEN's age group. Too soft.

I still have no clue how camels relate to a Christianity-based board game though.

Heaven's age group? Is that -0.75 to 6000?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: October 21, 2012, 12:33:12 am »

That fucking video. And this:

= [ALL RIGHTS RESERVED]= What I and many people did not realize is that by launching our ideas on public funding sites, we risk losing them to hackers, pirates & copycats combing the pages.
"ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL"

And you know what else? Every single word of that same paragraph. I tried to cherry pick so I could make snarky comments but I realized that there's nothing in there I can justify cutting out. It continues:
People in the USA are still considered the world's idea people, so we have become digital targets all across America as reported on CNN September 2012. It’s easier and cheaper to steal others work after they’ve spent years developing it. Most small businesses and people like me do not have high or mid-level security on our computers so its relatively easy compared to stealing from big businesses. Even the names are at risk. That’s my risk in going public. What if it were your ministry of 8 years and your passion? Please pray with us that HEAVEN does not fail during anti-crime, anti-violence, anti-bully month of October.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: October 21, 2012, 01:17:41 am »

Heaven's age group? Is that -0.75 to 6000?

Only God knows (probably because he's the one who set it).

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: October 21, 2012, 02:25:22 am »

It could well be the first fully funded Kickstarter to completely fall through (did those Zionist sunglasses actually get made in the end?  I forget).  It's gonna be tough to get a programmer for an obscure language if he's out of money... do Kickstarter allow you to seek other forms of funding after your Kickstarter is funded?
edit: Actually I guess there's plenty of undelievered stuff, just this is the first one to admit it's really in trouble.

Here's one for you.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/991262180/heaven
I haven't checked whether it's a good idea for a Kickstarter or whether the rewards make sense but you really need to watch the video.

That is the most terrifying video I have ever seen.

Above: New box cover art set on factory die-lines.
See the Bible? The cartoonist monk created the gates using Biblical descriptions.  He referred to the story of Jacob's ladder saying there was only one Bible version that gave a description.
See the Bible? The cartoonist monk created the gates using Biblical descriptions.
cartoonist monk

I want one.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: October 21, 2012, 02:30:17 am »

I don't really think people who fund games that essentially fail should really expect their money back if that money was spent in the process of doing so and certainly should not expect "all" their money back.

I really question that article because I fully expect that people are intelligent enough to realise this. It seems like it is calming people down that don't exist (and that I hope don't exist) who forgot that kickstarter is a way to "fund" a game and not a way to "buy" a game.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 02:34:25 am by Neonivek »

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: October 25, 2012, 01:44:46 am »

Pthg ligl phopho popho poph!
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: December 03, 2012, 12:40:19 am »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1547218311/alpha-colony-an-exploration-building-and-trading-g

$28 short of their $50,000 goal.  That's gotta burn.

I don't really think people who fund games that essentially fail should really expect their money back if that money was spent in the process of doing so and certainly should not expect "all" their money back.

I...agree :o
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: December 03, 2012, 01:27:09 am »

I know it's been a couple months but I still want to meet a cartoonist monk.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: December 03, 2012, 01:40:17 am »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1547218311/alpha-colony-an-exploration-building-and-trading-g

$28 short of their $50,000 goal.  That's gotta burn.

I...agree :o

Since the creators are allowed to fund their own projects, and it was so close, I can only assume they decided they didn't really waant to do the project at that price after all - that they were honestly hoping for a larger windfall.

Ah well.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: December 03, 2012, 08:51:41 am »

Since the creators are allowed to fund their own projects, and it was so close, I can only assume they decided they didn't really waant to do the project at that price after all - that they were honestly hoping for a larger windfall.

Uh?  You can't back your own project.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: December 03, 2012, 09:09:08 am »

Ah, looking into it, apparently they disallow it because the banks see it as illegal. :P

Hmm... well, I'm sure they know people in real life who could have of. Come on - it was 28 dollars. Wouldn't exactly have taken much of a push.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: December 03, 2012, 10:25:17 am »

Ah, looking into it, apparently they disallow it because the banks see it as illegal. :P

Yeah, it's called Credit Card Fraud.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 213