Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 673028 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #1845 on: December 09, 2012, 05:23:46 pm »

But when you're promising 4k t-shirts or baubles, that stuff eats up profit at an absurd rate.

Yes they do, which is why we didn't offer any such extras, because there was no way to figure out what to price them at such that we'd "make a profit" off of them.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: December 09, 2012, 05:51:17 pm »

Any profit would be contingent on the assumption that the rewards drive more people to back. Basically, you should only start offering physical rewards at a level where the amount backed already covers the overhead AND is netting you a small profit at the same time. (Or, rather than profit, let's call it development funds.) Roughly, I figure that just offering a t-shirt, you'd need someone to back at ~$40. (Unless you'd already negotiated some awesome bulk rate, like 200 t-shirts at $5 a piece or something.) Which to me is higher than your average donation is. I know I get gun shy about backing for $30 or more unless it's a project I'm absolutely wild about.

Which is why I think so many Kickstarters find themselves in trouble very quickly. They're making promises and assumptions without first properly vetting their costs. They map out rewards before they've actually gone out and made sure the manufacturing and shipping isn't going to bleed them dry. And I mean, I don't honestly blame people for doing that....but it's what happens when business amateurs jump in with both feet, not realizing success and profit require very tight and well thought-out financial planning.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 05:53:45 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: December 09, 2012, 06:04:45 pm »

Sometimes I like the rewards at the higher levels but I really dislike what they are coupled with.

I know I am one of the few people who are like this but I uttarly dislike "Go out and meet the producers" rewards. Mind you they will always be out of my price range and thus my complaint doesn't mean anything.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1848 on: December 09, 2012, 06:53:00 pm »

For an overfunded kickstarter, presumably any money left over from development, which would of been kept in reserve during development in case shit happens that needs money, would go into advertising and promotion, and go alongside the sales into the shit happens fund, and a war chest to allow for investigating, planning and developing further projects. As well as continuing support and bug fixes for the game.

There are a lot of things in a business venture that need keeping an eye on, all of which take time. Money allows for that time.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: December 09, 2012, 07:55:42 pm »

Look I am not so ignorant that I'd have no idea what money from overfunding could be used on.

The difference is that I know exactly what that overfunding is often used on. Usually in their pocket.

Some developers though tend to use the money remaining to fund their next project. One actually advertised that as one of their stretch goals which actually divided the community because most people, as I would, would want their money being used on the project they are funding and not on a completely different project.

Mind you we still havn't gone into what I call "overfunding" which is when a project has more money then they can legitimately use.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1850 on: December 09, 2012, 08:26:27 pm »

Except at that point surely it's as if they got that much money in purchases anyway. That's what kickstarter means fundamentally, they just get the money first so don't have to have a lone investor with a lot of power over them...

I mean, at that point what does it matter what they do with the money? Presumably they'd use it like a business typically uses the money from sales. Hell so long as I get the product and the quality is acceptable, they can spend what's left on booze and hookers for all I care xD
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 08:37:14 pm by MorleyDev »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: December 09, 2012, 09:11:27 pm »

at that point what does it matter what they do with the money?

Normally what would happen is they would give that money back because their project's cost was under the funding given to them.

Which is where I get into how Kickstarter encourages embezzlement. It has no mechanic for that.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: December 09, 2012, 09:24:09 pm »

So, crowd funding projects magically ensure that any and all projects will succeed?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: December 09, 2012, 09:24:24 pm »

Normally what would happen is they would give that money back because their project's cost was under the funding given to them.

Which is where I get into how Kickstarter encourages embezzlement. It has no mechanic for that.

Er, what? Give back money? In what world does someone ask investors for money and then be like 'hey guys, turns out we didn't the extra, you can have it back!"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: December 09, 2012, 09:26:43 pm »

Er, what? Give back money? In what world does someone ask investors for money and then be like 'hey guys, turns out we didn't the extra, you can have it back!"
Yea, I dont understand why anyone who donated money to a project would expect a refund. Maybe you could sue to get  refund or the rewards promised, if they fall through on that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: December 09, 2012, 09:31:01 pm »

And thus I have proven my point.

So, crowd funding projects magically ensure that any and all projects will succeed?

Ohh goodness no. You can find plenty of examples of terrible or failed projects that were crowd funded.

Mind you I still support crowd funding if only because often that is the only way risky projects are even attempted. To get out of this "Bland but profitable game" trend.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: December 09, 2012, 09:50:16 pm »

And thus I have proven my point.

Ohh goodness no. You can find plenty of examples of terrible or failed projects that were crowd funded.

Mind you I still support crowd funding if only because often that is the only way risky projects are even attempted. To get out of this "Bland but profitable game" trend.

More power to them, but I think there a very strong unconscious perception that somehow, crowd funding is a magical way to fund projects.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: December 09, 2012, 09:55:59 pm »

If anything the popularity of Crowd Funding has caused the scum to rise to the surface.

A lot of people now who would make mediocre projects are now seeking crowd funding in order to make mediocre but profitable projects.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: December 10, 2012, 01:21:53 am »

If anything the popularity of Crowd Funding has caused the scum to rise to the surface.

A lot of people now who would make mediocre projects are now seeking crowd funding in order to make mediocre but profitable projects.
That's the advantage of crowd funding though. If you see something that looks cool to you then you can fund it and it will happen. If you don't see something that looks cool then you don't fund it and nothing is lost. The end result is a bunch of games that the majority of people find cool, without needing to worry about all of those games like "Petz: Kittens!" and what have you cluttering up the shelves. Sure you are getting a bunch of mediocre projects, but you would have got those anyways, and if it actually makes it through development then you know that at least somebody thought it was cool, even if you don't.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: December 10, 2012, 01:28:47 am »

Don't get me wrong I think Kickstarter and the rise of crowd funding has been a force for good.

I am only saying that one of the ways in which it goes wrong is that the large stream of good projects has also come with a large stream of terrible ones.

If you don't see something that looks cool then you don't fund it and nothing is lost

It means that here is less products being made for general use now that EVERYONE can make money off of it.

I remember when some of the earlier kickstarters actually took advantage of the kickstarter to actually make their final products free. On a side note I am wondering how Grandroids is comming along.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 213