Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 36

Author Topic: Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks  (Read 206440 times)

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine Science and physics quirks
« Reply #375 on: April 04, 2012, 12:39:04 pm »

(and is it sad that even though i'm 16 i understand most of the scientific lingo going around in here?) :P
I'm not even that, and I started this thread.
Prodigy powers FTW. 8)
nerd :p, so how old are you o.O
Old enough to make a false proof that 1=2.
(and is it sad that even though i'm 16 i understand most of the scientific lingo going around in here?) :P
Prodigy powers FTW. 8)

Now now children, no circlejerking over how intelligent you think you are here. We base worth on how many bloodbaths, megaprojects and broken world gens we generate. Or the nobel prize for !!SCIENCE!!. DS, Sphalerite, Girlinhat..Aussie. We will let you know when we accept you as part of our all knowing overlords. ALL HAIL THE !!SCIENTISTS!!
The nobel prize stays in sweden. The McUrist is awarded for ultimate dwarfdom.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:42:00 pm by Blizzlord »
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 04, 2012, 12:42:00 pm »

Prodigy powers FTW. 8)
All four-sided triangles have two sides, and I am the Pope.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 04, 2012, 12:42:43 pm »

Prodigy powers FTW. 8)
The proof is based on division by 0. AKA universal collapse.
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 04, 2012, 01:26:49 pm »

Prodigy powers FTW. 8)

Now now children, no circlejerking over how intelligent you think you are here. We base worth on how many bloodbaths, megaprojects and broken world gens we generate. Or the nobel prize for !!SCIENCE!!. DS, Sphalerite, Girlinhat..Aussie. We will let you know when we accept you as part of our all knowing overlords. ALL HAIL THE !!SCIENTISTS!!
I dont see any !!science!! that can be done anymore D:
(anyway, i investigated syndromes on weapons. that doesnt make me !!scientist!! tough :P )

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 04, 2012, 01:28:03 pm »

Prodigy powers FTW. 8)

(anyway, i investigated syndromes on weapons. that doesnt make me !!scientist!! tough :P )
On bay12 killing goblins with socks is considered !!science!!.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 04, 2012, 01:31:07 pm »

Prodigy powers FTW. 8)
The proof is based on division by 0. AKA universal collapse.

Nah, x/0=Infinity + Infinity i.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 04, 2012, 01:33:14 pm »

Prodigy powers FTW. 8)

I rather investigate something intresting.
I may actually do some more medical science, like specialsurprise. (and hope that toady wont lock it)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 04, 2012, 01:35:58 pm »

Prodigy powers FTW. 8)

I rather investigate something intresting.
I may actually do some more medical science, like specialsurprise. (and hope that toady wont lock it)
GLHF.

Amallar

• Bay Watcher
  • Just turn 360 degrees and walk away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 04, 2012, 05:42:11 pm »

I wonder how adamantine would react in atomic collision; theoretically, we will be able to create colliders with the upcoming minecarts.
Daily Blurb

Efficiency and esotericism are the true facets of alignment; not good and evil, for both good and evil are subjective. Good and evil are simply chaos -- and order is their absence.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 04, 2012, 11:43:34 pm »

I think Specialsurprise was locked because of a holocaust joke, not the ‼SCIENCE‼.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 05, 2012, 12:56:50 am »

I hope the minecarts can dip through a liquid and come out carrying it. So you could use a steel minecart to carry magma up instead of a tedious pump stack.

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 05, 2012, 01:10:40 am »

A magma train like would be quite a potent weapon.

Down to the magma, up the ramp, and out over the invaders!

LeonL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 05, 2012, 07:34:27 pm »

After reading 26 pages of this thread, I'm honestly shocked at the complete miss of this:

Nanotubes

I'm not well versed in the physics of these things and have little more than a cursory knowledge. I know that they're strong enough AND light enough to support a proposed space elevator (as suggested previously in this thread for adamantine). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanotubes (Specifically the Carbon or Inorganic varieties)

In general, I find the assumption that adamantine being an elemental substance laughable. More likely I figure it to be a naturally occurring alloy or mineral with a default crystalline structure. While metallic elements have varying densities (over state, temp), I'm not aware of one that has this wide of a swing. (If I'm misunderstanding the values in the raws, please point out the math. I'm not new here, but I've only recently started digging into the numbers of DF.)

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 05, 2012, 07:38:29 pm »

Nanotubes is no explanation. Study of old damascus steel blades has shown that the original art of forging them created nanotubes in the steel.

Nanotubes are nice, but they are not the be all end all. Adamantine would *still* be nigh impossible for the laws of physics to comprehend.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 05, 2012, 07:45:24 pm »

Doesn't exhibit adamantine's properties.

Adamantine has an atomic mass of 26, based on the molar weight. (Iron)

Carbon has an atomic mass of approximately 12.

Adamantine has a volume/mass ratio far exceeding any known configuration of carbon, including nanotubes.

Adamantine has a tensile strength greater than nanotubes.

Adamantine doesn't conduct heat well. (Nanotubes do, as do diamonds. There is a reason diamons are called 'ice', and it doesn't refer to the appearance.)

adamantine can be hammered. Nanotubes? Not so much. They lose their special properties when the tubewalls get crushed.

Adamantine is magma safe. Carbon nanotubes will burn nicely.

Ergo, adamantine is not CNT.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 36