Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 36

Author Topic: Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks  (Read 206437 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine Science and physics quirks
« Reply #345 on: March 27, 2012, 10:47:37 am »

Just install some spoilers to add downforce.

Wings, not spoilers. Spoilers make the car cut through the air more easily, big difference.

And a spoiler wouldn't produce any worthwhile amount of downforce until a good 100 MPH.

Not to mention with the stiffness of adamantine every single crash above maybe 20MPH would be lethal, with no areas that will crumple the car would bounce backwards, the g-forces would mangle you beyond all recognition.

There are more reasons, but... adamantine car=REALLY bad idea...

Probably is, but you gotta admit. It would look cool.
True.
Reminds me of that one time that i made a fire at an oil platform in gta san andreas and turned the flying cars cheat on.
A few moments later i saw a firetruck fly over.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 27, 2012, 01:06:50 pm »

Then again, can we be sure DF's core is similar to the Earth's? What if it's actually entirely different?
Well someone earlier in the thread stated that slade could potentially have a gravitational force that was able to be felt. What if the DF world wasn't really a sphere after all? I mean IIRC in adventure mode if you reach one edge of the world you don't come around back on the other side, you just reach a dark blackness that is impenetrable. So what if the world is actually a flat surface that just has enough slade stuck to the bottom to generate the required gravity? That would explain how the world could have such a small surface area while still having gravity equal to earth's.

As for adamantine, I'm all for the heat activated idea. Also what if it actually has 3 differing stages? There would be the unactivated stage where it was supple and can easily be made into cloth. Then you would have the wafer stage, where it clings together and is easily transportable, and then you have the final stage where it gains the deadly weapon properties that we know about. They could even have differing temperature thresholds, so the first time when you make wafers dwarves only heat up the material slightly, and then they heat the wafers immensely in order to forge weapons and other things out of the wafers.

Lastly an idea for adamantine. What if it is normally softer or more malleable but it becomes rigid upon application of a force? I know that there are some gels out there that act as solids when struck hard, so could it be possible that adamantine performs similarly, and strengthens when struck? This could explain why steel weapons will glance off of adamantine clothes that are normally flexible.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 27, 2012, 01:16:23 pm »

Lastly an idea for adamantine. What if it is normally softer or more malleable but it becomes rigid upon application of a force? I know that there are some gels out there that act as solids when struck hard, so could it be possible that adamantine performs similarly, and strengthens when struck? This could explain why steel weapons will glance off of adamantine clothes that are normally flexible.
Aahhh... Viscoelasticity... I love everyting Viscoelastic. This is impossible; however, due to Adamantine not being elastic at all.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 27, 2012, 01:23:44 pm »

How can you make cloth from it then?

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 27, 2012, 01:25:37 pm »

How can you make cloth from it then?
Psionics, or microscopic chain links. Your pick...
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 27, 2012, 01:34:42 pm »

The strands are woven into cloth at a loom. A loom doesn't make chain links. Maybe it changes once smelted into wafers, but threads have are soft enough to be woven, and sturdy enough to be effective as armor.
Psionics? when did that labor get added?

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 27, 2012, 01:52:13 pm »

The strands are woven into cloth at a loom. A loom doesn't make chain links. Maybe it changes once smelted into wafers, but threads have are soft enough to be woven, and sturdy enough to be effective as armor.
Psionics? when did that labor get added?
Adamantine is perfectly rigid. The thread would shatter if you tried to bend it. Therefore we deducted earlier that the only way to manipulate it would be microscopic chain links or dwarven psionics (which is an ability inert to all of dwarfkind).

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 27, 2012, 07:28:57 pm »

Actually, you decided it is inherent.  I decided that it is in fact inert in dwarves and they just use hammers for metalsmithing.  No idea how they do the adamantine weaving trick, though.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 27, 2012, 11:38:27 pm »

If we're going with the heat-up-to-make-it-last -thing, adamantine clothes are simple enough, as the threads used for making adamantine clothes are not yet rigid. They have not been heated yet.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 28, 2012, 01:11:25 am »

If toady ever decides to officially adopt that explanation, we may face situations where a dwarf that gets caught in a blast of dragon fire, or a magma spill, or some other high temperature accident, gets encased in their suddenly rigid, nigh indestructible adamantine pimpsuit.  Saws wouldn't work, so probably the only way to save them would be cautious application of a warhammer, and they'd probably get bloodied up pretty badly from fragments of shattered cloth that get pressed into their flesh.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: Could an adamantine battle axe really kill?
« Reply #355 on: March 28, 2012, 08:43:36 am »

It would be cool if Adamantine objects had souls that talked to the wielders, as well.

I know it's been some time since the post, but I just remembered this...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 28, 2012, 02:38:12 pm »

The whole "perfectly rigid" thing just throws up more and more problems the longer I think about it.  Take relativity, for example; any moving object will contract in the direction of its motion, as seen by any outside observer.  If you spin a disc, its circumference actually becomes less than 2(pi)r.  At non-relativistic speeds, this contraction is so little that it causes no problems, as the material can deform slightly to compensate.  Adamantine, however, cannot.  Attempting to spin an adamantine disc at any appreciable speed would cause it to shatter (maybe; the entire situation is bizarre, and I don't know enough to do more than guess).  I don't know how/if this applies to any rotation; swinging an adamantine sword may cause similar problems. 

This is making my mind vomit, so I'm going to stop thinking about it.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 28, 2012, 10:41:47 pm »

THERE'S an image. Someone must MS paint a dwarf brain vomiting! I'll do it if no-one else wants to.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 29, 2012, 09:40:30 am »

The more I've thought about it, the more adamantine annoys me.  I'm tempted to edit its raw entry to have properties that are functionally similar, but not actually physically impossible.  Like, say, making it very slightly flexible, and maybe reducing the max_edge a titch.  Would anyone with actual engineering or material science experience like to provide some suggestions on how I could make it so it's still an unobtanium supermaterial without actually flagrantly violating any basic physical laws?  Like say, what would be the lowest density that would be reasonably plausible?  What molar mass should I give it?  Does that actually have any real effect on the game?  I don't really care, I'm not leaving it as a strange allotrope of iron, even if it's just for my own peace of mind.  Should it be a pure element, or a crystalline compound?  Or even an amorphous glassy solid?  That might explain its ludicrous max_edge. 

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 29, 2012, 12:43:23 pm »

I'd treat it as a glass, to allow for its lack of malleability and for its sharpness.  If you want it to be possible, if still ludicrously overpowered, then change its FRACTURE values to 1 and its MAX_EDGE to something closer to obsidian's (~one molecule thick).  I'd suggest 30000 (if obsidian's is 20000, which I think it is), though I'm mostly just making that number up.
I have no idea what to do about the thread/cloth issue.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 36