Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 36

Author Topic: Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks  (Read 206435 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Could an adamantine battle axe really kill?
« Reply #360 on: March 29, 2012, 12:51:50 pm »

It would be cool if Adamantine objects had souls that talked to the wielders, as well.

I know it's been some time since the post, but I just remembered this...
Heh, on the second to third page of that comic (if im right) you can see the general df mentality about having friends.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine Science and physics quirks
« Reply #361 on: March 29, 2012, 05:11:40 pm »

could it be that adamanyine threads aren't pure adamantine, but combined with a substance that is removed apon smithing?
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 29, 2012, 11:41:10 pm »

I think that's actually what strand extraction is about. Get the adamantine out of the ore.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 30, 2012, 03:22:09 pm »

no, i mean, could it be that the strands are really an alloy of candy and heraderpite, bu the erpaderpite is removed apon heating and the candy/herpaderpite alloy is flexible?
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #364 on: April 04, 2012, 08:27:46 am »

I don't think we need to spoiler adamantine with the moniker 'candy' in a thread dedicated to discussing its properties which uses its name in the title. Just saying.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 04, 2012, 08:55:44 am »

I don't think we need to spoiler adamantine with the moniker 'candy' in a thread dedicated to discussing its properties which uses its name in the title. Just saying.
I don't think it should EVER be censored. It is listed in the forge lists before it is discovered. Also, it is whats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 04, 2012, 08:57:42 am »

Pfft, I don't even think clowns should be censored, everyone knows about them, they're even in the world params.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 04, 2012, 09:01:54 am »

Pfft, I don't even think clowns should be censored, everyone knows about them, they're even in the world params.
Demons should not be censored, but the fact that there is a hell they reside in.
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 04, 2012, 11:15:58 am »

5 pages into the thread and reading any more would use up more time than i'm prepared to spend not playing Skyrim.

Has it been considered an adamantine blade, spear or sword are both a cutting impliment and a lever? Consider a spear. Huge amounts of pressure on the tiny contact area (Near monomolecular) propelled by the stocky, dense muscles of a dorff and then wrenched to the side. Armour would split open and the wound widened, same for a a blade or an axe, can opener style. I do suspect giant serrated blades act like a band saw opposed to a  plain smooth edge.

In conclusion: Can openers. Dwarf powered can openers.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 04, 2012, 11:19:48 am »

5 pages into the thread and reading any more would use up more time than i'm prepared to spend not playing Skyrim.

Has it been considered an adamantine blade, spear or sword are both a cutting impliment and a lever? Consider a spear. Huge amounts of pressure on the tiny contact area (Near monomolecular) propelled by the stocky, dense muscles of a dorff and then wrenched to the side. Armour would split open and the wound widened, same for a a blade or an axe, can opener style. I do suspect giant serrated blades act like a band saw opposed to a  plain smooth edge.

To sum up what you have missed, we deducted that monomolecular blades are impossible due to their fagility. Monomolecular edges are still possible, but that poses the wedge problem (it weighs too little to push the armour apart). So no can openers without a slade core.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 04, 2012, 11:24:26 am »

Curiosity has gotten the better of me and i AM reading it now. Just got to psionic dwarf material manipulation.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Perhaps something amusing will occur to me in the meantime but this is a fairly comprehensive bit of madness. So my contribution lies above.

OKAY! Thread read and here is what additional things it induced. 1: Adamantine chainmail would be terrible. It would be like wearing the most efficient cheese grater. 2: Slade is a multidimentional form of matter or even entity. It exists in 4 or more dimentions and we see but a fracion of them. Indeed when it looks back at petty 3d beings it is as equally baffled at these exotic beings that disappear when they move (as they dont exist in the plane of time) and 3: An adamantine projectile would either need to be an A) A head on something heavier. B) A wire across two prongs, on a heavier bolt or B) Peasant railgun as there are no rules provided for time taking for it to build momentum (Telefragging).

So i believe that Slade/Adamantine isn't actually a 3 dimentional material, multidimentional with a few planes sharing ours in a similar manner that we just can't see outside the electromagnetic spectrum and real life physics need to get really contorted to make any kind of sense. Huzzah!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:59:47 am by Wannazzaki »
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Pzike1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 04, 2012, 12:26:30 pm »

To sum up what you have missed, we deducted that monomolecular blades are impossible due to their fagility. Monomolecular edges are still possible, but that poses the wedge problem (it weighs too little to push the armour apart). So no can openers without a slade core.

Well if you think about it, if you drive a object into someone, then yank it to the side, it will act like a crowbar (causing a bunch of physical trauma)
i think thats what he meant anyway.

So a better anology would have been dwarven crowbars :p
(and is it sad that even though i'm 16 i understand most of the scientific lingo going around in here?) :P

(edit:to fix my lame quoting skills)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:29:19 pm by Pzike1 »
Dwarf Council:
Urist1: "why is the elf here?!"
Urist2: "we conquered them, they need representation"
Urist speaker:  "the first subject is: carp infested rivers"
Elf: "I say we pour magma into the river"

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 04, 2012, 12:29:31 pm »

(and is it sad that even though i'm 16 i understand most of the scientific lingo going around in here?) :P
I'm not even that, and I started this thread.
Prodigy powers FTW. 8)

Pzike1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 04, 2012, 12:36:37 pm »

Prodigy powers FTW. 8)
nerd :p, so how old are you o.O
Dwarf Council:
Urist1: "why is the elf here?!"
Urist2: "we conquered them, they need representation"
Urist speaker:  "the first subject is: carp infested rivers"
Elf: "I say we pour magma into the river"

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 04, 2012, 12:37:37 pm »

Prodigy powers FTW. 8)

Now now children, no circlejerking over how intelligent you think you are here. We base worth on how many bloodbaths, megaprojects and broken world gens we generate. Or the nobel prize for !!SCIENCE!!. DS, Sphalerite, Girlinhat..Aussie. We will let you know when we accept you as part of our all knowing overlords. ALL HAIL THE !!SCIENTISTS!!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 36