Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 36

Author Topic: Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks  (Read 206467 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine Science and physics quirks
« Reply #315 on: March 22, 2012, 09:16:34 pm »

Or maybe those are just strands from Armok's beard that somehow ended up down there while he was shaving.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 22, 2012, 09:23:43 pm »

Shaving? No. The &s pulled the strands out in an attempt to depower him, Samson style.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 22, 2012, 09:27:48 pm »

The implications that Armok may at all shave prove your elfiness.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 22, 2012, 09:31:49 pm »

But... I...

Deathsword has been struck down
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 23, 2012, 01:02:47 am »

But... I...

The shame strikes Deathsword in the head tearing the skin, shattering the skull and bruising the brain!

Deathsword has been struck down

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 25, 2012, 06:23:19 pm »

Ok, next question:

We know that Adamantine's hard enough to potentially hold a monomolecular edge, but I was wondering if the Dwarves don't quite have the means to give it one to begin with.  I mean, it's a wonder how they sharpen it to begin with, since even diamond whetstones probably wouldn't be enough.

So, I figure that the typical forging process for your average axehead goes like this: (assuming the game abstracts the process as much as I believe)

First the wafers are made by interlacing fibers then firing them under intense heat, not enough to fully melt them of course but enough to make them stick together, becoming like a stiff, fine wire mesh.

At the forge, this wafer is heated again until it becomes malleable. The smith then begins hammering the wafer into a solid sheet; however, at certain points he widens some of the holes in the mesh instead in order to make room for rivets later.

By this point the metal's cooled off a bit, so it gets a brief stint back in the furnace. When it comes out the smith must work quick to fashion the eye, folding the metal in half and merging it back together at the other end. (I'm assuming a single-bladed axe.)

Then comes the long and tedious process of pounding out the bit.  Given the material, I'd estimate several days of non-stop labor with multiple people; working in shifts, trying to draw out the metal as thin as it can get. That's where I think the edge comes from.

The only other option I can think of would be flaking, but this seems so... messy that I can't imagine it being part of the routine.  The only thing I can think of is that it would mean a well-built Adamantine axe would still be sharp after hitting, say, an Adamantine shield.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 25, 2012, 06:58:00 pm »

I don't think Dwarves could heat up Adamantine enough to even just make it malleable.

The stuff doesn't melt until the temperature exceeds that of the SUN. Sure the tenp where it get soft must be absurdly high as well.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 25, 2012, 07:46:46 pm »

"'Eff you!" spoke Armok, and the tiny Beard fragment came alive in the mighty demon's claws. Those demons who had entered the throne room to steal the Beard were struck down by the might of the Beard as it grew.

The beard then divided under Armok's will, plugging the Gateways. Some demons thought they could hide from the Beard inside their slade fortresses, but Armok laughed and his Beard broke down the unbreakable gates. It then reforged itself into awesome weapons so that the demons would feel the humiliation of conquest at the hands of mere mortals. With Armok's blessing and swords forged of the Beard itself the mortal armies did battle with the cowards among the demons and sealed them within the depths below.

To this day some of Armok's power remains in the Beard, reawakening when the fibers are placed into alignment and infused with an offering of blood and fire. Once awakened, it responds to the whim of the smith and reforms itself as needed.

Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 25, 2012, 11:24:59 pm »

My personal theory is that heat activates the powers of adamantine proper, so that raw adamantine strands are useable for cloth and sutures, but forged adamantine can slice through boulders.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 25, 2012, 11:30:52 pm »

My little metallurgy: candy is magic.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Amallar

• Bay Watcher
  • Just turn 360 degrees and walk away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 26, 2012, 03:34:34 am »

[/quote]
but earnestly trying to fit any of those into real physics would drive most people insane.
[/quote]   

That's very much the point, though. Insanity is like a fine wine, in that its fermentation will lead to great happiness in the form of addled brains.
Daily Blurb

Efficiency and esotericism are the true facets of alignment; not good and evil, for both good and evil are subjective. Good and evil are simply chaos -- and order is their absence.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 26, 2012, 04:20:25 am »

Dwarves can work Adamantine because Armok wills it. Adamantine socks for all!

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 26, 2012, 05:43:04 am »

Does Adamantine clothing act as armor?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human dwarven stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein Urist McStein

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 26, 2012, 05:56:20 am »

Does Adamantine clothing act as armor?
yes

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 26, 2012, 08:16:08 am »

If adamantine is a super material, why does clothing woven from it degrade as fast as common plant and animal fibers?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 36