Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36

Author Topic: Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks  (Read 206463 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine Science and physics quirks
« Reply #300 on: March 20, 2012, 11:14:53 am »

I can't say that's an incredibly amazing image.  I mean, you basically drew what we all already know...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #301 on: March 20, 2012, 11:19:17 am »

I'm going to post this. A combination from what I got from my Freshman Geo 101 course, and DF.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
*squint*

Hm, I don't see any adamantine spires, exploding glaciers, floating caverns or flying magma seas...

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 20, 2012, 11:46:47 am »

What other uses would adamantine have, if it existed in the real world? Could it be used for industrial uses?

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 20, 2012, 11:47:26 am »

I can't say that's an incredibly amazing image.  I mean, you basically drew what we all already know...
It's not meant to be, but what I wonder is how the heck the tubes can form. Hell exists in "bubbles" of slade inside the plates that float on the upper to mid mantle. How the addy to plug the entrances and magma sea to cover the whole thing can form sorta stumps me. If we could only breach the slade, then we would have UNLIMITED iron.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 20, 2012, 12:03:59 pm »

Then again, can we be sure DF's core is similar to the Earth's? What if it's actually entirely different?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 20, 2012, 12:12:35 pm »

It's not meant to be, but what I wonder is how the heck the tubes can form.

Isn't it obvious? Magic.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 20, 2012, 12:17:10 pm »

Actually yes, magic.  The current standing for the world creation relies upon gods and demons, not plate tectonics.  Abridged creation myth:
Demons created a ball of slade and lived there.
Armok (and other gods?) became jealous, and built a world atop the slade ball.
The demons trying to escape causes heat on the SMR, which fuels the magma sea and keeps the planet warm (ie, the core is cold, it's purely demon rage that keeps the world warm).
Over time, the SMR has cracked, and Armok (and other gods?) plugged the holes with adamantine.
Those demons who did escape where hunted down by brave heroes, and the heroes managed to seal the final cracks with the magic of their adamantine blades (upright fun stick).
The zombies that exist in curious structures are actually eternal defenders, trying to keep dwarves away from the sword and ensure the demons never escape.

In other words, dwarves are the bad guys and the world was forged with magic.  Geology be damned.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #307 on: March 20, 2012, 12:29:03 pm »

It's not meant to be, but what I wonder is how the heck the tubes can form. Hell exists in "bubbles" of slade inside the plates that float on the upper to mid mantle. How the addy to plug the entrances and magma sea to cover the whole thing can form sorta stumps me. If we could only breach the slade, then we would have UNLIMITED iron.
Only in DF would someone wish to mine the outer core of the planet using pick-toting kitten-loving bearded maniacs. I could imagine magma divers in dragonscale diving suits and fire imp leather air bladders swimming down into the crushing depths to mine the core with adamantine picks.

What other uses would adamantine have, if it existed in the real world? Could it be used for industrial uses?
Hm... If we assume that the whole 'perfectly rigid' thing is false (which it would have to be since you're talking about the real world) then I'd say it would make a decent structural material for things like aircraft. Pure adamantine doesn't interest me as much as the possibilities for alloys though. Assuming that we could melt it and that it would indeed alloy, you should be able to make some amazing materials with it.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 20, 2012, 01:03:27 pm »

Actually yes, magic.  The current standing for the world creation relies upon gods and demons, not plate tectonics.  Abridged creation myth:
The demons trying to escape causes heat on the SMR, which fuels the magma sea and keeps the planet warm (ie, the core is cold, it's purely demon rage that keeps the world warm).
Over time, the SMR has cracked, and Armok (and other gods?) plugged the holes with adamantine.
Those demons who did escape where hunted down by brave heroes, and the heroes managed to seal the final cracks with the magic of their adamantine blades (upright fun stick).
The zombies that exist in curious structures are actually eternal defenders, trying to keep dwarves away from the sword and ensure the demons never escape.

In other words, dwarves are the bad guys and the world was forged with magic.  Geology be damned.
Hmm. I heard another version which mixed both real and DF. The world was formed pretty much the same as ours, by planetary differntiation and having a similar iron catastrophe.The demons were the first beings to exist, emerging from cold chasms of dead rock into a world with no atmosphere and air. When the gods came to being, they poured their power into driving the demons back into their holes, and sealed them with a mineral of their own making:adamantine. Exhausted from their efforts, the gods slept, only recently awaking from their slumber, unto a world anew; full of life and !!FUN!!
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 20, 2012, 01:34:47 pm »

Actually, as far as I know adamantine is little bits of Armok's beard hair that fell out and punctured all the way to hfs.

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 20, 2012, 02:01:36 pm »

If I unseal hell I always make sure to kill as many demons as possible and reseal the hole. Is that the DF worlds version of environmentalism? Do your bit to provent Global Demonic Warming.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

Amallar

• Bay Watcher
  • Just turn 360 degrees and walk away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 20, 2012, 02:11:30 pm »

Perhaps we should discuss magic as some sort of dimensional (or other exotic) energy/radiation, if we're willing to accept adamantine as having manifested from such energy.
Daily Blurb

Efficiency and esotericism are the true facets of alignment; not good and evil, for both good and evil are subjective. Good and evil are simply chaos -- and order is their absence.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 22, 2012, 11:33:56 am »

If I unseal hell I always make sure to kill as many demons as possible and reseal the hole. Is that the DF worlds version of environmentalism? Do your bit to provent Global Demonic Warming.
No. You are depriving the world of a wonderful renewable resource: Demonic rage. Al Gore is therefore in league with the HFS. SO BURN !!CARBON!! FOR ARMOK!

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 22, 2012, 04:03:59 pm »

Perhaps we should discuss magic as some sort of dimensional (or other exotic) energy/radiation, if we're willing to accept adamantine as having manifested from such energy.
I dislike such 'explanations'; they just take the magic out of magic imo.  It's like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, because the mere existance of what you're trying to fit in would debunk real physical laws if it actually existed.  The only way to explain it properly would be to start from the ground up, so might as well through your textbook out the window.

That's why we should stick to speculating in terms of defined properties; after all, one could easily explain the macroscopic properties of a monople magnet, repulsive gravitational force, differing gravitational/inertal masses, FTL travel without relativistic effects, et cetera, but earnestly trying to fit any of those into real physics would drive most people insane.

Therefore, we know the following properties of Adamantine -no more, no less:
Code: [Select]
[SPEC_HEAT:7500]
[MELTING_POINT:25000]
[BOILING_POINT:50000]
[SOLID_DENSITY:200]
[LIQUID_DENSITY:2600]
[MOLAR_MASS:55845]
[IMPACT_YIELD:5000000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:5000000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:0]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:5000000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:5000000]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:0]
[TENSILE_YIELD:5000000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:5000000]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:0]
[TORSION_YIELD:5000000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:5000000]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:0]
[SHEAR_YIELD:5000000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:5000000]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:0]
[BENDING_YIELD:5000000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:5000000]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:0]
[MAX_EDGE:100000]
As far as we're concerned, Adamantine doesn't even form atoms; its mass could be perfectly distributed throughout its volume like everything else in the DFverse for all we know.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:06:37 pm by Arkenstone »

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 22, 2012, 09:01:15 pm »

One idea I've heard is rather unusual. Since adamantine is basically unbreakable and forms in strands inside of rock, they are actually HUEG versions of the vibrating strings that form up everything according to String Theory, transported here by the gods from a HUEG dimension.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:05:47 pm by Mrhappyface »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36