Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1245345 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #10110 on: June 05, 2015, 05:08:01 pm »

To not ban Nietzsche, though, would be injurious to society.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10111 on: June 05, 2015, 05:58:12 pm »

To not ban Nietzsche, though, would be injurious to society.
Explain?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10113 on: June 05, 2015, 06:33:36 pm »

I thought there might be a reference I wasn't getting. I'm still not getting it! But that more or less confirms it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10114 on: June 05, 2015, 06:52:29 pm »

I think he's accusing him of trolling. I share his apparent dislike for Nietzsche, for what it's worth, but it I'm not sure I'd support an outright ban on his works no matter how much of an asshole he was.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10115 on: June 05, 2015, 06:57:00 pm »

He's... often misinterpreted. And his sister, a dyed-in-the-wool fascist and anti-semite, disfigured much of his work. And he may have been partial to fedoras, as far as I can tell from his works.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10116 on: June 05, 2015, 07:24:13 pm »

And he may have been partial to fedoras, as far as I can tell from his works.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #10117 on: June 05, 2015, 07:33:15 pm »

Okay, that part I don't get. What's all this fuss about fedoras?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10118 on: June 05, 2015, 07:35:19 pm »

fedoras are literally hitler

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10119 on: June 05, 2015, 07:45:34 pm »

More refusing to change in academia:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/14/kennesaw-state-advisor-its-bigger-than-ksu_n_7284748.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/05/kennesaw-state-advisor_n_7521164.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtxSFltiq9c

Maybe tell the student they can set up an appointment at a later time? To be fair to her, perhaps her department was understaffed, who knows. That said, how lovely that just asking for services you paid for is "harassment."

Relevant: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/new-harbinger-publications-inc/parents-who-drive-you-cra_b_7511242.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

That said, I've never agreed with Nietzsche. You don't strengthen a wall by bashing it, anymore than you strengthen a person by bashing them. If what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, then willful injury would be a good thing, absurd.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 07:54:13 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10120 on: June 05, 2015, 08:15:48 pm »

What Nietzsche has come down to in my experience is the answer to whether or not human beings ultimately have any agency over the world. If we do, Nietzsche is mostly invalid. If we don't, he's on point. I definitely admire him more on my more hopeless days.

That said, he wasn't a fascist or even properly right-wing by any stretch of the imagination, and this willfully ignorant college marxist jackass (because having met a good deal of them, they are always jackasses, it's the crawling in my skin of the early 20's) rustles my jimmies.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10121 on: June 05, 2015, 09:32:22 pm »

@ that first one, true, I think remember that a little. Dude in question was actually like a half-hour or something late to an appointment he had made previously, iirc, and was apparently intent on sitting around and waiting instead of doing any of that reschedule-appointment-like-sane-person stuff. Forget the exact details, but it was more than just on the advisor's part -- there was some poor behavior on the student's end, as well. Still could have been handled more effectively, obviously, but there was more to it than just asking for the services paid for.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10122 on: June 06, 2015, 12:19:03 am »

It's kind of ironic that the guy leading the charge against the Nietzsche group is the head of the college's Marxist society. I mean you can make the exact same case that studying Marx will endanger the student body because they'll be exposed to Soviet-style ideological purges. In fact, the noted events bear out that presumption.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10123 on: June 06, 2015, 02:02:34 am »

What Nietzsche has come down to in my experience is the answer to whether or not human beings ultimately have any agency over the world. If we do, Nietzsche is mostly invalid. If we don't, he's on point. I definitely admire him more on my more hopeless days.

That said, he wasn't a fascist or even properly right-wing by any stretch of the imagination, and this willfully ignorant college marxist jackass (because having met a good deal of them, they are always jackasses, it's the crawling in my skin of the early 20's) rustles my jimmies.
I thought Nietzsche's most important point was the Übermensch, which wasn't what the Nazis made out of it but rather the idea that humans should try to free themselves of societal conventions to advance towards being better humans, closer to what an ideal human should be like. I thought that was a rather positive message (and ironically quite opposite to what Hitler used it for).
Taste my Paci-Fist

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10124 on: June 06, 2015, 04:59:18 am »

Well actually people do get stronger by being bashed. Shin conditioning is an example.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 759