Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 664 665 [666] 667 668 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2258901 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

The pic reminds me of Warwick from LoL...

And, in other news! I'll be finishing Vanya's tale. I sent a summary of what I had planned for the completion of the Parasol arc to a few people, and they actually seemed excited about it, which was awesome... and the poll in the Vanya thread is looking better than I honestly expected at this point, so... I'm going to get working on it. I'm behind on my chapter stockpile (I'm usually writing several chapters ahead of the ones I post), so I'll have to spend a few days cranking out some chapters before I post anything, but at least something's on its way now.

Woot!

In marginally-less-exciting news, I've completely revamped Thol's character profile in my notes, such that he'll hopefully not be boring fuck to read about. I kinda want to go through his earlier entries and rewrite them to add more character, but I'm not sure how such a thing would be received.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:42:34 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

In a story about time-travel? Go for it.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile

Hurrah! I can't wait to see what twists and shockers are in store.
I don't know about shockers, but twists for sure, hopefully (unless I give them away by accident).

In marginally-less-exciting news, I've completely revamped Thol's character profile in my notes, such that he'll hopefully not be boring fuck to read about. I kinda want to go through his earlier entries and rewrite them to add more character, but I'm not sure how such a thing would be received.
The keyword here is "marginally" ;)
Do it. :D Do it. They're short enough that we won't really have to reread much, and it'll be far more enjoyable after you've rewritten his personality - it'll completely improve the quality of the story as a whole, too.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

I really wish I had the patience and attention span to go through and make sure all story and art contributions were in one place.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do it. :D Do it. They're short enough that we won't really have to reread much, and it'll be far more enjoyable after you've rewritten his personality - it'll completely improve the quality of the story as a whole, too.

Okay. Expect to be coerced into being a beta reader for the revamped version semi-shortly :)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile

Yo, on a side note Splint, you're cool with any of the stuff I'm thinking up for next fort? Tin  Tyrants are there for some variety (and to be somewhat more threatening then the minotaur), while the gnolls really are meant to replace vanilla Hyena Men, who aren't really fun right now doing nothing but wander on the map. They make scary dangerous zombies, and random ambushes from them tend to make sieges even more hectic! And, I'll volunteer writing for them next game whenever they appear, just so they don't end up being another mindless threat like the goblins (unless I missed the bloke writing for those fellows. Man, there's a lot of stories going on!)

On a side note, working on revising the Bronze-Drag-Roc. The name is a work in progress. Also, does the idea of semi-autonomous tanks roaming the world (another mecha-beast) sound like an interesting prospect? Or is that going too far? I have a neat body code I have been perfecting for that purpose, so if you want any say, whatchyamacallit IFVs to be represented in game, simply ask and I'll build it!

Maybe, I could probably start writing the Gnoll's exodus story sometime.

And finally, glancing at the entry for "Equus" on the wiki...I've been given ideas of a Fairy Fort-Everoc crossover.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:45:13 am by Propman »
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yo, on a side note Splint, you're cool with any of the stuff I'm thinking up for next fort? Tin  Tyrants are there for some variety (and to be somewhat more threatening then the minotaur), while the gnolls really are meant to replace vanilla Hyena Men, who aren't really fun right now doing nothing but wander on the map. They make scary dangerous zombies, and random ambushes from them tend to make sieges even more hectic! And, I'll volunteer writing for them next game whenever they appear, just so they don't end up being another mindless threat like the goblins (unless I missed the bloke writing for those fellows. Man, there's a lot of stories going on!)

On a side note, working on revising the Bronze-Drag-Roc. The name is a work in progress. Also, does the idea of semi-autonomous tanks roaming the world (another mecha-beast) sound like an interesting prospect? Or is that going too far? I have a neat body code I have been perfecting for that purpose, so if you want any say, whatchyamacallit IFVs to be represented in game, simply ask and I'll build it!

Maybe, I could probably start writing the Gnoll's exodus story sometime.

And finally, glancing at the entry for "Equus" on the wiki...I've been given ideas of a Fairy Fort-Everoc crossover.

For the gnolls, I'm not really sure. We'll be having lots of new and returning opponents as it is, but I'd say that it'd be better for the others to decide. The Tin Tyrants though seem like they'd be a neat addition for a megabeast. I may need to reread the stuff for all of it though, I do confessed I more skimmed them because I was going somewhere with a friend when I saw them.

As to the last part I have no idea what you're talking about. I will say the Equus encountered anywhere in this canon are based on Valkidu's mod.  Vicious, vicious little creatures they are in that mod.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile

Hehe, just don't be surprised if a bunch of cotton balls and their fairy overlords attempt to colonize Corgyn'Bre in an onscure side-story shenanigan.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:31:12 am by Propman »
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mock not the Corgyn. They managed to colonize/survive in that place for a reason.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Congratulations on reaching page 666!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

*fauxplase*

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

I think he has a different page setup.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile

I think he has a different mind setup.

FTFY.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile

Master, PLEASE set your PPP to 50.
Much less headache.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm... not sure how I feel about the tin things. On the one hand, I really, really, really love the concept, and you obviously put a lot of thought into it. On the other... magical, ridiculously-durable droids that cannot be hacked or reverse-engineered feels a bit sparklypoo to me (yes, I'm aware that we already have bronze colossi in actual DF canon). Also, you may have put a lot of work into their backstory and behaviour, but the tinmen themselves are a bit too cipherous in their inner workings for my liking -- they kind of feel like fairy-tale creatures powered by nondescript 'magic' (or to paraphrase Futurama, 'It Just Works') than anything else. Yes I am aware that this would be a drop in the bucket compared to all the random sci-fi-fantasy bullcrap we already have floating around, but this seems to be particularly-egregious to me for whatever reason, probably because people have actually tried to determine how it works and largely failed. You described their inner workings in minute detail, but it still boiled down in the end to 'we have no bloody clue how it works', which tends to read to me as an admission of ignorance on the authour's part. You, at least, had better know exactly how these things work, even if you're not telling us in their backstory. End opinion: Approve, but tread lightly, 'cuz you're in sketchy territory. Also, you might wanna make them into an SCP if you can, because that's the vibe I was getting from them.

As for the gnolls... I don't think I can object to the inclusion of any sort of sapient based on hyenas, who are (in true, objective, indisputable fact) the badassest and most adorable non-amphibian animals to ever grace the African savanna (lions can go straight to hell). I kind of came away from your writeup wanting more, though, particularly with regards to their biology, which probably could have been more in-depth (you didn't touch on their psychology much at all, for example). Also, I reeeeeeeally don't like how over-the-top evil and brutal they are. End opinion: shows promise, needs work.

Pages: 1 ... 664 665 [666] 667 668 ... 815