Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 663 664 [665] 666 667 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2258893 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile

Okay, as promised, here's a rundown of the completion of the Parasol arc, summarized to approximately 10% of what it would've taken to write it out fully - encompassing only the absolute main events with as little embellishment as possible, and almost no narrative value. Note that this encompasses only a third of what I have left to write - at least as I project it right now.

edit: actually, took it down for a moment. Need to run it by Splint first for obvious reasons. :P
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:25:45 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile

Propman - that sounds great, provided you can come up with a way to work it into canon (even marginally tends to be acceptable). I'm not sure about something becoming overpowered by picking up a sword, though - I don't think it's possible to have that kind of a trigger. We are including Jackborgs, though, which are metallic pike-wielding automatons.

I actually have all the coding for that fellow down here;

Spoiler: The Code (click to show/hide)

The solution was simple:

Megabeasts don't typically spawn with weapons. Think the minotaur, for instance, who more then half the time is made a trivial threat due to his reliance on having to wrestle a beating stick off of a soldier. This means said minotaur's skills are usually wasted as it gets shot to death by a peasant with a bow. Now, say you replaced the minotaur with a being that could withstand being hacked at, at least for a few moments, giving it the time to potentially wrestle a weapon off a-la Giant Desert Scorpion. This means that while you'll never encounter a Tin Tyrant already wielding a sword, if it say, manages to get a lucky move in and steal a sword, you best hope that it's not inside the fort when you wall out the outside and wait for a Bronze Colossus to come and pound it.

Interesting, but see how they fare against the various types of spawn before you get too excited. They may prove to be mere Spawn Fodder.

In arena mode, a single T_T managed to kill an entire army of 200 great human swordsmen in steel armour with an iron sword. Granted, without the sword, it's not remarkably stronger then any other semi-mega, but mindlessly charging into an armed T_T spawn style, especially when you're smaller then it, would likely be a rather bad idea. Adventure mode tests show that a T_T can singlehandedly destroy the populace of a keeped city, and its dungeon.

And now, for story:

Countless years ago, the influence of humanity extended into the far beyond, reaching inhospitable areas that were rife with savage monsters and bandits that the local militias simply could not lend the man power in order to handle. Among these dangers, the goblins rose as the most prominent, continuously raiding hamlets in order to capture slaves for their own conflict against dwarvenkind. Within one of these hamlets, there lied an artisan toy maker, a man who wanted more then anything to calm and entertain people with his colourful creations. Yet, as long as his settlement was persecuted, rather then remain happy, the local denizens slowly grew more and more unhinged. Not wanting such a catastrophic even as those rumored to have occurred in dwarven settlements, the toy maker built a militia himself. Using techniques long forgotten, he forged soldiers of tin and magic, automa that surpassed even the greatest mortal swordsman in combat capability. So skilled, as the legends said, that a single automation was capable of felling an entire wave of arrows mid-flight with the swift moment of the blade. Yet on the other hand, they were also gentle; When not protecting their creators, the machines would serve as play things for their children, their whimsical colourscheme of yellows, purples, and blues soothing and exciting them as the massive constructs safely watched over them.

These machines remained in operation long after the toy maker had finally passed away, protecting generations of people and instilling fear in the legends passed by their adversaries. Yet, though no living threat was capable of threatening them, natural disasters were a different matter entirely. For on that faithful day, the day that the earth split open, the hamlet which the tin guardians were devoted to protecting, now having grown into a respectable city, was unceremoniously buried. Nothing remained of the area, and its inhabitants, the tin men included, were encased within the ground for centuries, the latter remaining conscious for every waking moment. And perhaps it was for the better, as the machines, warped from isolation for such a long time, had lost touch of their original directive; without anything to protect, their orders warped into destroying anything that moved.

Though their story would most likely have ended there, to be slowly crushed by the pressure of the earth, Armok would have other plans for them; A tremor, of the very same kind that imprisoned them in the earth, would be the force which exposed these automa to the surface once again. Their appearances were reflections to how far they had fallen; Once resembling stylized representations of human champions, built to a towering scale, the tin men were now devoid of colour or any other frilly gubbins. Their bodies were austere masses of metal, dull grey plates held together by rivets, and all that remained of their faces were protruding, beak-like noses and two eerie, golden lenses for eyes. Like zombies they now roam, attacking and destroying the humans they were once made to protect, like a tyrant acting against his own people.

-

And that's that. I also have files to replace hyena men with proper gnolls, which are fodder for the spawn, but would be rather amusing fodder. If you'd like to see that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:31:33 pm by Propman »
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Mm... Can someone compile and publish an e-book of the accepted canon? It seems like a huge headache to try and read the whole thread.

Also, in case I haven't said, I want in if there's a sequel!

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile

Mm... Can someone compile and publish an e-book of the accepted canon? It seems like a huge headache to try and read the whole thread.

There is a PDF with most of the story, plus the wiki. Just read the Spearbreakers OP carefully, so you don't miss it amongst the Legacy of the whole thing.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is a PDF with most of the story, plus the wiki. Just read the Spearbreakers OP carefully, so you don't miss it amongst the Legacy of the whole thing.

The PDF I compiled is actually in the second post... and it needs updating very badly. We've added an astronomical amount since I threw it together, but it still gives you enough to hopefully get you hooked - and definitely enough to give you the run-down on what's going on... Minus the really fun derails. It should give you at least half the story.

Edit: About the Tin Tyrant: I like the concept, although it does seem just a bit overpowered... But then, so is everything else. I doubt it would stand up to a railgun round or two, especially at the intense speed that Splint is going to have them modded back to. The main issue I have is with the lore - it doesn't tie into Everoc/Spearbreakers lore in any way. :P While that isn't necessarily a prerequisite, narrative has always been exceedingly important in Spearbreakers, to the point it was actually one of the challenges Splint put forward in the OP. Plus, 90% of this thread is lore, backstory, and fan fics... if you're not counting derails on what would make the best chain weapon and so forth. Lore is important... BUT, ultimately, it's up to Splint, not me.

Double edit: Also, we're now the longest thread on the forums. Very awesome.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:44:42 pm by Talvieno »

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Thanks Talvieno and TalonisWolf.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile

The original idea was that their city was among those buried by the obsidian encasing the earth during last game, and hence would have a rather logical reason to be tead-off at the dwarves, but I still can't remember whether that was retconned to just the surface of Syrupleaf or not.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 06:31:36 pm by Propman »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The original idea was that their city was among those buried by the obsidian encasing the earth during last game, and hence would have a rather logical reason to be tead-off at the dwarves, but I still can't remember whether it was retconned or not.
It wasn't retconned. We finally decided that Parasol had stepped in and gone back in time to save their experiment (the spawn), and placed all of Syrupleaf in a stasis bubble that preserved it at the moment before its downfall, to appease Armok so he wouldn't coat Everoc in a fine layer of obsidian. This also attracted Ballpoint's attention, which is where they came from. (They want to weaponize the spawn.)

So, nothing got coated with obsidian after all. We also ran into varying timelines within the Syrupleaf canon itself - while some people speak of the planet being covered in obsidian the moment Syrupleaf fell, others spoke of archaeologists exploring the ruins long afterwards... The above solution made everything work all at the same time, and it took no small amount of head-banging to get it figured out. :P

edit: I'm not suggesting you can the idea. I'm suggesting you tweak the story a little bit. :P You have plenty to work from, and I'll tell you if I note anything that doesn't quite match up... but again, the final decision is up to Splint.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 06:01:12 pm by Talvieno »

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile

In that case:

Countless years ago, the influence of humanity extended into the far beyond, reaching inhospitable areas that were rife with savage monsters and bandits that the local militias simply could not lend the man power in order to handle. Among these dangers, the goblins rose as the most prominent, continuously raiding hamlets in order to capture slaves for their own conflict against dwarvenkind. Within one of these hamlets, there lied an artisan toy maker, a man who wanted more then anything to calm and entertain people with his colourful creations. Yet, as long as his settlement was persecuted, rather then remain happy, the local denizens slowly grew more and more unhinged. Not wanting such a catastrophic even as those rumored to have occurred in dwarven settlements, the toy maker built a militia himself. Using techniques long forgotten, he forged soldiers of tin and magic, automa that surpassed even the greatest mortal swordsman in combat capability. So skilled, as the legends said, that a single automation was capable of felling an entire wave of arrows mid-flight with the swift moment of the blade. Yet on the other hand, they were also gentle; When not protecting their creators, the machines would serve as play things for their children, their whimsical colourscheme of yellows, purples, and blues soothing and exciting them as the massive constructs safely watched over them.

These machines remained in operation long after the toy maker had finally passed away, protecting generations of people and instilling fear in the legends passed by their adversaries. Yet, though no living threat was capable of threatening them, natural (or so it seemed) disasters were a different matter entirely. For on that faithful day, the day that obsidian covered the world, the hamlet which the tin guardians were devoted to protecting, now having grown into a respectable city, was unceremoniously buried. Nothing remained of the area, and its inhabitants, the tin men included, were encased within the ground for centuries, the latter remaining conscious for every waking moment. And perhaps it was for the better, as the machines, warped from isolation for such a long time, had lost touch of their original directive; without anything to protect, their orders warped into destroying anything that moved.

(Universe where The World is Obsidianized)

Though their story would most likely have ended there, to be slowly crushed by the pressure of the earth, Armok would have other plans for them; A tremor, of the very same kind that imprisoned them in the earth, would be the force which exposed these automa to the surface once again. Their appearances were reflections to how far they had fallen; Once resembling stylized representations of human champions, built to a towering scale, the tin men were now devoid of colour or any other frilly gubbins. Their bodies were austere masses of metal, dull grey plates held together by rivets, and all that remained of their faces were protruding, beak-like noses and two eerie, golden lenses for eyes. Like zombies they now roam, attacking and destroying the humans they were once made to protect, like a tyrant acting against his own people.

(Universe where the World is saved through Corporate Decisions)

As Parasol took the time to scout across the reaches of Everoc, they minutely noticed the tin automations standing guard at a single seemingly insignificant town. Though normally not something of much note to them, the fact that they possessed uncanny reflexes for machines built in such a primitive world drove interest, and the corporation confiscated a handful of machines in order to study. Stripping the machines of their childish exteriors (ostensibly to "enhance their performance" by reducing their drag, though mainly because they thought their appearance was silly), testing commenced.

Results were miraculous; The tin automations were capable of completely deflecting concentrated machine gun fire, even when being shot at by multiple guns from multiple directions, only failing when the blades they wielded physically gave way. Larger projectiles proved more challenging, but the machines triumphed over conventional light infantry weapons virtually 100% of the time, and attempts at trying to challenge the machines in a melee have proved them fully capable of destroying virtually any available unit in combat given the proper weapon, only being bested after hours of fighting wielding swords of non-weapons grade materials against fully power-armoured genetically advanced infantry teams, or attempting to use non-bladed weapons (noting that "whomever programed these tin mechanicals must have limited them to using fencing techniques"). This promising display gave ideas of using them as either shock troops or mobile shields (utilizing their uncanny ability to deflect bullets), but ultimately, all attempts at getting the machines to cooperate have proved costly, bloody, and expensive in both time and resources, though the option of releasing them into enemies on their own and letting them work on their own devices has yet to be entirely ruled out.

Dissections of downed machines (usually derelict wrecks already broken down when recovered then fresh subjects) showed that the automa worked through a combination of clockwork mechanisms and metal pulleys in order to move their limbs, but remained inconclusive as far as to what was powering them or where their computation units were located, beyond interesting patterns engraved within the backs of the metal plates that made up their exterior skins, leading to hypothesis that these patterns are in fact circuitry of some kind. Until their main source of programing, as well as said programming's language is deciphered, these tin tyrants prove frustratingly impossible to reproduce; all attempts at building physical replicas, cast using molds of the individual plates and modified to use a conventional power source have proved laughably incapable.

Eventually, many of the units have been stored on bases upon the surface of Everoc [(the current continuity)], and there have been "baseless" reports of some of the machines escaping confinement and running amok, reacting violently to their foreign surroundings by destroying anything they detect as moving while vainly attempting to find the lands they were abducted from. The Parason PR department has assured any weary populace that whatever threat they might posses is diminished by the fact that any units stored on the surface are kept separate of any possible object they could effectively wield as a weapon.

Some partially successful modifications conduced by Parasol include restraining tin automations (mainly those that they are lucky enough to catch disarmed) and welding plates of sturdier materials such as titanium or hardened steel over their more fragile tin bodies, sometimes extending towards integrating fully hardened vehicle-grade composite armour in order to maximize defensive abilities. These "Clad Tyrants" are a fearsome entity indeed, lacking the vulnerabilities of their unarmoured peers, yet also move far slower as a result, and are scarcely less vulnerable to the high-calibre weapons capable of defeating a tyrant's physical deflections anyways, limiting their existence to a few safely confined prototypes.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 10:01:38 pm by Propman »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All right, that seems to work pretty well, although I'd throw in the addition that the "toymaker" was originally a Parasol employee who quit and hid himself on Everoc to avoid them. That would explain the circuitry, as well as the necessary skills in robotics. It's a little odd otherwise, for a civilization stuck in thirteenth century tech to suddenly have twenty-first century technology - and even stranger for them not to apply said technology to other areas.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Disclaimer: still up to Splint. I personally would've liked it to show up in the actual canon somewhere, but it's a little late for that, so hey.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile

I'd say that he left because Parasol was a planet of no-fun, dour science people who disliked the arts, which would make the fact that they confiscated his machines and stripped them of their colours even more ironic. The spectacle of a human population untouched by the uncaring calculations of science would likely have been attractive to him.

I imagine that at least the Tyrant's power source would be identical to whatever keeps bronze colossi moving, in essence being a reverse-engineered down-scaled B_C, with some additional programing to make it more effective.

And now, for the gnolls:

"Hidden in the out most regions of the Jungles of Binding, the brutish gnolls are a cunning and savage race of hyena men, possibly one of the few sentient races that top the goblins in sheer immorality. Once considered merely a legend (especially when all verified sightings of "hyena men" had insofar proven them no more intelligent then any other terrestrial animal person), sightings of warbands of these creatures have circulated since the apparent abandonment of Spearbreakers. Most speculate that this is due to incursions committed by the spawn (a situation similar to the Mountain Barbarians), though a handful of individuals fear that something far more sinister is to blame. Nevertheless, the gnolls themselves have added much unwanted danger to the areas not already overrun by the spawn; Slavers and thieves have taken to raiding towns, human, elven, dwarven, and goblin alike, capturing territory and devouring the majority of their previous inhabitants in order to sustain themselves.

Physical Characteristics:

"A brutish, snarling creature with the head and markings of a hyena."

Gnolls are classified as a type of animal man, analogous to the hyena in both morphology and mannerisms, possessing pawed arms and legs, as well as a full body of fur on which is a unique pattern of markings, presumably used as a means of identification. The average gnoll stands a head shorter then the average human, normally around 5'0" in height, but the towering brutes that are usually seen raiding settlements and splitting heads can stand as tall as 8'0", and almost universally contain large concentrations of muscle around their upper biceps. Perhaps most curiously, gnolls lack the gender dimorphism present in other sentient races, often making it difficult to tell male and female individuals apart.

Gnolls are carnivorous, much like hyenas themselves, and also like hyenas can digest hair and bones with their potent digestive systems, making sure that no trace of their prey remains beyond the odd blood stain, and that nothing goes to waste. Gnolls have been known to mine for salt in order to produce salt licks, presumably due to a deficiency of the substance in their natural diets.

Society and Relations:

Gnoll society is perhaps on par, if not bellow with the kobolds in regards to how primitive it is, though little is truly known about it beyond what has been observed from afar by those few human and elven scouts lucky to observe them without being detected. It appears that gnolls organize themselves in packs or tribes, like hyena. Pacts are in theory led by a warlord of some description, but squabbles for the title occur so often that it would appear that they don't have any meaningful permanent leadership roles, preventing them from organizing into numbers large enough to stage proper invasions. In fact, gnolls have been observed to kill one another over objectively trivial reasons, such as who looks tougher, or who has the most meat (gnolls have evidently yet to discover how to count), or weather dwarves taste better eaten smoked or roasted.

Gnolls have a very, very loose sense of morality; They consider the slaughter of anything, including members of their own race, perfectly acceptable, and they'll devour or make trophies out of virtually anything, again including themselves. Gnolls will make oaths, but will readily break them if the end result has an unsuitable risk to reward ratio; to them, no sense of "honour" is worth getting yourself killed over. Treason is perhaps the only thing in gnoll society to elicit punishment of any kind, leading to the committed to be shunned by their former pack if they somehow survives betraying them in the first place.

Likewise, gnolls are scarcely more advanced then other animal men technology-wise. Whatever a gnoll cannot produce (which is many things), it will attempt to loot from some other civilization, and it has been hypothesized that many reported "kobold" stealings were actually the result of gnoll actions before the knowledge of their existence became wide spread. Their weapons are almost universally blunt, hammers and maces fashioned out of the surrounding woods into massive mauls capable of caving in the heads of trolls, which brutes will use with brutal efficiency along with shields, which are a mix of what they can loot from their prey as well as locally produced specimens (gnoll shields are easily identifiable by the fact that they are painted in burning crimson, a trait which is universal to all gnoll civilizations). Craftier gnolls will loot crossbows from caravans, which they use in order to hunt prey from a distance, allowing them to take part in war parties normally only reserved for brutes. Gnolls seem to have a concept of mining, and have even been observed operating mines themselves, but for large-scale operations will almost certainly use slaves. They do not build permanent settlements, but will capture particularly weakly defended hamlets for permanent clan housing if needed, leaving alive a few members of the former populace as slaves, usually those knowledgeable in trades such as farming in order to keep the settlement sustainable.

Gnolls have a complex relationship with slavery. Gnolls will hardly ever attempt to enslave members of their own race, but will otherwise attempt to snatch the young of any other sentient being in order to use them as labourers for their warmongering society, having previously enslaved animal men for the better part of their existence before switching a preference to humans as their preferred source of thralls after evacuating from their homelands. This extends to a few failed attempts at enslaving the spawn (much to the humour of the observers), but also leads to the horrific mistreatment of whomever they manage to capture. As a result, virtually every race that has the gall to call itself civilized tend to utterly loathe the gnolls (including other gnoll tribes), , while animal men universally learn to fear and despise them. Though certainly intelligent enough to operate firearms and work in tactical squads, their usually outlandish demands discourages their recruitment in Ballpoint security teams, while their disdain for technology leaves a sour taste in Parasol's collective mouths, though a handful of native Everoc humans have resorted to hiring out gnoll mercenaries as a last resort against the spawn.

Combat:

Gnoll war parties are organized based on skills and strength, which usually translates to three distinct classes if gnoll warrior, discounting any thieves or slavers that might accompany them in their antics. "Brutes" are the largest of the pack, and can be told apart (other then by their sheer size) through their preference in using war hammers or mauls, possessing enough raw power to rival trolls in a one on one fight. "Bashers" are your average gnoll warrior, standing around the same height as a human soldier while wielding a lighter mace or flail. "Poachers" are gnoll crossbowmen who have taken the time off hunting game in order to accompany the war party, and delight in taking painful potshots at enterprising targets. Gnolls will also occasionally take slaves with them into battle in order to bolster their numbers further, and these slaves will usually be equipped in a similar manner to their masters.

Parties delight in stalking caravans, but will often take the opportunity to join into existing conflicts in order to take advantage of the disorganized chaos that usually ensures. Gnolls will single out (what they believe to be, at least) weak points within a settlements' defense and attempt to sneak as close as possible in order to close the distance before assaulting it, preferring to target unarmed civilians and merchants over seasoned warriors. They'll fight until they feel that the battle is too costly to continue, in which case they retreat to fight another day.

Since gnolls lack the knowledge to produce proper armour, they usually only charge into combat wearing a pair of trousers and a shield. This makes them especially ill suited towards fighting a seasoned dwarven military, though their size and strength means that they can still overpower novice warriors in combat, making them a threat not to be taken lightly.

The raws:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 02:43:48 pm by Propman »

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile

Bonus points if gnolls can be named Hogger.
"In case of stairs, use fire"

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile

You misspelled "SHUNNED", which may have terrible consequences if left uncorrected. Or not.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The pic reminds me of Warwick from LoL...

And, in other news! I'll be finishing Vanya's tale. I sent a summary of what I had planned for the completion of the Parasol arc to a few people, and they actually seemed excited about it, which was awesome... and the poll in the Vanya thread is looking better than I honestly expected at this point, so... I'm going to get working on it. I'm behind on my chapter stockpile (I'm usually writing several chapters ahead of the ones I post), so I'll have to spend a few days cranking out some chapters before I post anything, but at least something's on its way now.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile

Hurrah! I can't wait to see what twists and shockers are in store.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i
Pages: 1 ... 663 664 [665] 666 667 ... 815