Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2258773 times)

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile

The key word is "Rarely"... how many times has there been a case of 'How do I close the friggin' door?!', for example.  ;)
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Noone reads notes anymore...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

I read notes. Why would I bother to label every single lever if I were just going to haphazardly pull the first lever I see?

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To mess with the next player by mislabeling the levers. People have done it, to unfortunate interesting results.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

:L That is very true... * shudders from the thought of a self-destructing magma cannon *

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Personal Experience?

GENERATION 32:

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Trying to avoid making it one.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First, I think you care very much about your stories or else you wouldn't be worried about plagiarism. :P

Second... I think it's pretty much impossible that anyone's ripped off Vanya's stuff, simply because there are a great deal of unique phrases in it that I ought to be able to find with a quick search, such as (just grabbing one at random) "I fled down the stairs, past the coffins", and if you look it up on Google, you get only one hit.

Third, the main issue with my story is that it's going to be insanely huge (about 40% of the length of Lord of the Rings when complete). I have a book and a half to finish, and that means around thirty chapters, and that means around two hundred hours of work. :P That's why I put a new poll up in the "A Skulker's Tale" thread - to see how many people actually wanted me to finish it. So far? Not many. :\ Only 40% of everybody who's voted wants me to finish it (and one of them was me, making it technically 25% instead). More alarmingly, 67% of people who've voted and weren't me, and who also have read all of it, don't really care to have me finish it. That's not exactly encouraging.

edit: I'll write up a summary for what I'd planned to happen for the rest of the Vanya story (keep in mind that what I plan and what I write often becomes wildly different), and if you guys still want me to finish it... I will.

re-edit: Also, if I remember right, I made the Parasol higher-ups assume that Silena, everyone's favorite blue-tentacle-hair-girl, was actually incredibly important at Eris. lol    Kind of a shout-out to your series.

triple edit: It's three to one against me finishing it now... that's actually kind of depressing.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 02:10:47 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

Talvi, sweetie, at the end of the day it doesn't really matter how many people want you to finish your story as long as you want to finish it.

I think I'm going to submit (because it's probably relevant) that in my current headcanon, original!Mr Frog flees back into Everoc with a converted Silena in tow without getting to Joseph. Basically, he realises he was arrogant in thinking that he could singlehandedly decapitate the organisation and makes a tactical retreat to regroup. I think I've flip-flopped on this before, but my current thinking is (as I believe you yourself pointed out to me a long time ago) I made Joseph's defenses too-perfect, to the point where getting to him is for all intents and purposes impossible.

I can't help but wonder what chain of events lead to scrappy little Silena ever coming off as important to anybody :V

Sorry I've been lax with Thol's updates; I've been having kind of a crazy week.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile

Oh my...The story of this fortress is certainty most magnificent, and leaves me much anticipating a sequel. Tell me...You wouldn't mind if I gave any suggestions on things to play around with next game? Say, an otherwise brittle automation of tin, suddenly becoming a neigh-unstoppable clown-killing machine the moment it wrestles a sword out of the hand of a dwarf? Or, a monster that has the flying powers of a roc, the resilience of a bronze colossus, and the breath of a dragon all at once? I have a few monster codes lying around in a CPU that I'm just dying to see in action against an unaccustomed overseer.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Interesting, but see how they fare against the various types of spawn before you get too excited. They may prove to be mere Spawn Fodder.
GENERATION 32:

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile

Talvi, sweetie, at the end of the day it doesn't really matter how many people want you to finish your story as long as you want to finish it.

[...]

I can't help but wonder what chain of events lead to scrappy little Silena ever coming off as important to anybody :V

Sorry I've been lax with Thol's updates; I've been having kind of a crazy week.
Hmmm... Perhaps you're right. :-\ As much as I don't like it. lol   I'd much prefer to have people actively wanting me to finish it, but, hey. To be honest, I didn't expect anyone who read it to not want to hear the rest, as I'd assumed that if they'd found my writing good enough to read a story 30% of the length of Lord of the Rings, that they wouldn't mind reading another 10% that length.

And Parasol received a message routed through Silena by Mr Frog. Silena utilized an Equus messenger (which I very briefly alluded to (not my cup of tea)), who said he'd been sent by Silena. For inside joke comedic purposes, I had all of Parasol assume that Silena must therefore be of high standing at Eris. :P

Propman - that sounds great, provided you can come up with a way to work it into canon (even marginally tends to be acceptable). I'm not sure about something becoming overpowered by picking up a sword, though - I don't think it's possible to have that kind of a trigger. We are including Jackborgs, though, which are metallic pike-wielding automatons.

Splint - we're five posts away from becoming the longest thread in Community Games & Stories... you should feel proud. :D And ours isn't even mostly non-canon roleplaying like Glitterglen was.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 12:59:53 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a few monster codes lying around in a CPU that I'm just dying to see in action against an unaccustomed overseer.

Propman - that sounds great, provided you can come up with a way to work it into canon (even marginally tends to be acceptable). I'm not sure about something becoming overpowered by picking up a sword, though - I don't think it's possible to have that kind of a trigger. We are including Jackborgs, though, which are metallic pike-wielding automatons.

Sounds like he somehow did that already. I'm rather curious how... I'm rather hoping it doesn't use DFHack.
GENERATION 32:

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Granted the length is due to discussions of other stuff and the odd story post popping up.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Still rather impressive for a thread to last that long. And it has produced more than it's share of horrors. Manamaids come to mind...

...now, where is that brain bleach...

Edit:Friggin Typo.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:19:20 pm by TalonisWolf »
GENERATION 32:
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 815