Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl 0.10 Tournament  (Read 20720 times)

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl 0.10 Tournament
« Reply #135 on: March 02, 2012, 02:55:12 pm »

Grats, KJC3! Now I look bad  :P

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2012, 07:33:28 pm »

So, I realized something. If I ever want to win, I need to drop any preconceived notions about what's fair and/or cheap. For example, the only thing that should stop me from flooding a room with imps is not being in a spot where I'm able to put imps between me and the enemy, or a pure lack of MP. I should not be stopped because I'm worrying that flooding the room with imps is "cheap".
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 02, 2012, 07:53:15 pm »

And if you go MuSu of Sif then the pure lack of MP is gone!  I was seriously spamming dragons everywhere towards the end.

...How can you possibly feel bad about using cheap tactics against Dungeon Crawl?  Haven't you suffered enough cheap deaths to make you lose all sympathy for the game :P?

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 02, 2012, 08:27:37 pm »

The thing that is obstructing my chances to win the most is my desire to play something that's not a cookie cutter combo. Shame that all the cookie cutter combos are the easy ones :(

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2012, 09:09:16 pm »

...How can you possibly feel bad about using cheap tactics against Dungeon Crawl?  Haven't you suffered enough cheap deaths to make you lose all sympathy for the game :P?

...I honestly don't know. What's even worse is it's something that should've been mercilessly beaten out of me a long time ago. I've been playing NetHack for years before I even found Crawl, and I have the same problem there.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2012, 10:39:05 pm »

Surely you can worry about making the game too easy for yourself with "easy" combos/ tactics after you've won.  I think the game is sufficiently challenging that you can not pull any punches.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2012, 10:41:47 pm »

WOOOOOO, got the 15 rune win. Adding on Yunor's points, this puts the Forgotten Beasts at 4773, in #9 and right behind #8 and #7! Great job, Beasts! :D

Seriously, after going through the extended lategame, I have lost all concept of 'cheap.' If crawl's going to throw tormenting, smiting, demon summoning absurdly high HP mummies with death curses at me in droves, then I'm going to abuse the hell out of everything I can, damnit! :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2012, 12:10:21 am »

Dobedoo, MuSu, get sif on D:2, rolling along, go down stairs, OheynosavefileexistsEXIT :-\

Frumple just got bugganked :(

E:And can no longer play on CAO, apparently, because trying to play on .10 just leads to a blank screen and... nothing. I can type and letters display but nothing else happens. *mumblemutter*
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2012, 12:26:13 am »

Same here, and looking at "current games"... there aren't any, so I think the server is having problems.

I'm in the top three for number of "Individual Combo Standings"! Go me!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 12:28:17 am by AlStar »

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2012, 12:32:14 am »

Hmmm, popping on ##crawl, it looks like a there was a problem with disk space on the server. Some relevant quotes:
Quote from: ##crawl
<heteroy> I crashed trying to go up stairs
<MarvinPA> it saves when you go upstairs so that would make sense
<MarvinPA> if it's a disk space issue

<fartbarter> optimistically we all just lose one level cleared of progress and it loads the backup from the last time you went down/up stairs before the disk space ran out. right?
<rast> fartbarter: thats what im hoping
<MarvinPA> if you didn't already die somehow then probably, yeah

<y2s82> so what should we do?  i tried logging back in and play but it wouldn't let me play; it just hangs with a blank page w/ a cursor...
<fartbarter> yeah everything's boned gotta wait for an admin
So hopefully people currently in games shouldn't lose too much progress. It might be a while before cao's back up, though, depending on when rax (the admin) can get around to fixing it...

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2012, 12:51:20 am »

Man, I hope that I don't lose all of this floor, I'd cleared out (at great annoyance, I might add) an entire giant ant nest... without poison resistance.

I'd rather not have to do that again.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2012, 01:22:40 pm »

Got my first tournament win for the Vampires :p

Could probably have gone for more runes, but decided to play it safe.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2012, 03:15:19 pm »

Well, hell.

I did have to replay that giant ant nest, but this time it didn't go so well. Death of another promising character.

edit (many hours and another character later):

Well then, interesting note - even if they now only con grey to you, an entire room of orcish warriors can really ruin your day. Damn reach weapons.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 06:59:32 pm by AlStar »

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2012, 04:22:33 am »

So apart from hubris, what are the main threats for a MiBe in the mid game? I have a ring of see invis, axe skill of 26, an antimagical executioners axe, gourmand and trog loves me.

I really screwed up on Lair 8, and found myself 'slow' and 'exhausted', wielding a cursed battleaxe without the flame brand, fighting a Hydra (and lots of stupid green rats, meh) which gained a head everytime I hit it, and it didnt get me to half health before popping its clogs.

So hubris is definitely a danger :)

Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

lerugray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 04, 2012, 09:08:42 am »

hey guys

im having problems logging into CAO, any ideas?

heres what it says

ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

Got my first tournament win for the Vampires :p

Could probably have gone for more runes, but decided to play it safe.

Congrats! Go Team!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15