Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl 0.10 Tournament  (Read 20703 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl 0.10 Tournament
« Reply #165 on: March 06, 2012, 11:31:59 pm »

I died because I was just jamming left to try and kill this rock beetle, not paying attention to my HP. "Oh, it's almost dead!" has claimed yet another victim.

Time to try a centaur, since I promised ##crawl I would play one after complaining about how much I disliked them.

Also apparently the vampires don't exist anymore? I can't find them on the clans page.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 06, 2012, 11:50:50 pm »

The vampires definitely still exist. You must have missed them somehow.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 07, 2012, 12:39:39 am »

Huh. Are they not on the main clans page? I hit ctrl+f for my name and "vampire" and turned up nothing. Then I searched for Bay 12 and found all the other teams.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 07, 2012, 01:05:14 am »

??? The vampires seem to be 37th right now, and can be found searching for 'vam' or 'pen'.

AlStar, nice work, glad I was able to up my game far enough to convince you to up your game  ;)
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 07, 2012, 01:52:10 am »

Hey, we have a tenth of the points of the first place team.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 07, 2012, 05:26:25 am »

Bad news: I just got surrounded on Snake 3 by Margery and Boris without any rF.
Good news: Teleport kicked in just in time.

I really feel like my use of consumables is improving a lot this tourney - that's like, the third time I saved a PC by using a teleport scroll in the past few weeks, whereas previously I had lots of deaths where I didn't drink or read anything, and a few deaths waiting for tele to kick in... so definite improvements.

New Crawl motto: consumables, not consavables :)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 07, 2012, 08:11:26 am »

So, I just found this:
the +15 plate armour of Claustrophobia {Str+4}

It's literally the most heavily enchanted thing I've ever found.

Base AC is now 43, base Str is 40.

I better not screw this up.

edit: Anyway, since I'm now at work and can't continue...

Funny thing about this current game: So, early in the dungeon I found sling bullets. A lot of them; call it 120 all told. I decided that this was a pretty obvious way for the game to tell me that slings were a good choice for the future of ranged combat for this character. So whenever I ran across an enchant weapons scroll, I'd hit this huge pile of ammo. I managed to get all the bullets up to +4, and I'm actually still using them, even now that I've just hit level 20 (although I'm down to about a dozen, since the rest have all mulched.)

So, the funny part: I still have not found a sling better than +0, and way down deep in the dungeon now, I'm rather unlikely to run across one either.

Now, don't get me wrong, hurling +4 bullets with 35-someodd strength behind them hurts things. A lot. But I can't believe I haven't found a single enchanted sling in all my travels - usually there's piles of the things, just scattered around the dungeon.

Man I wish I could play Crawl from here.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:05:08 am by AlStar »

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 07, 2012, 09:27:24 am »

Speaking of screwing up:

Snake 4 has lava lakes, so after scouting out the edges, I leave all my scrolls on Snake 3, and set out lava worm hunting.

Of course, I bump into Mennas, and recalling how he killed off my last MiBe, I run for the stairs. Of course, he is too fast, and follows me up. I drink my only potion of speed (should have done this first), pillar dance around him, and in desperation (upstairs far away) I head back down to Snake 4.

So now I am on Snake 4, and my scrolls and Mennas are on Snake 3. Mennas may or may not still be near the staircase I left him at. I have more speed potions in a shop in Orc, but don't know whether I can get past him.

I could summon two brothers, go beserk, head up the stairs and pray he is still there, and that we can take him down, or ?? ???

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 07, 2012, 01:15:38 pm »

You know who I really hate? Eustachio. I never realized quite how annoying the "flood the room with imps" trick was until he decided to use it on me.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 07, 2012, 01:43:40 pm »

He's a great target for confusion.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 07, 2012, 02:23:20 pm »

I just backed into a hallway and let him surround himself with harmless imps while I ignored the one imp on the other side of me. He died quickly, half because he decided he didn't want to blink more than once.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 07, 2012, 02:54:42 pm »

Mennas is one of the toughest opponents outside of Hell and Pan; I don't think I've ever taken him down with a melee character. No matter what I do - berserk, haste, finesse, might, nothing gets past his shield.

Brothers in arms could work since I think shields get less effective against multiple attacks per turn, so someone has a chance of landing a hit.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 07, 2012, 03:02:16 pm »

Well sadly, killing Mennas was the highlight of that MiBe's life. I equipped my amulet of clarity, drank my agility potion, put on my tele ring just in case, summoned two BiA, went up the stairs, hit beserk, found Mennas a few steps away, and killed him with my two bros. So a level 17 MiBe *can* take down Mennas, if he can find time to get the summons in.

I then went and promptly died on Snake 5. I really hate the Salamander lava ending. Anyway, a naga mage teleported me and I ended up in the middle of a pack of mages and warriors, and my own teleport didnt kick in in time. Actually, come to think of it, why the hell didn't I blink instead? Too late now :(.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 07, 2012, 03:16:12 pm »

I've never seen the salamander ending of Snake... sounds nasty. In my current game I came across a Crypt ending I've never seen before: the one with dead trees and a graveyard surrounding a creepy castle type thing with deep dwarves, ghouls and a profane servitor.

Don't forget you can cancel an unwanted teleport by using one of your own before it kicks in.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 07, 2012, 07:47:32 pm »

Psyche says, "Leafsnail, I like you."
Psyche says, "Don't worry. I'm here with you."
...Why did I recruit the creepiest unique.  I mean I guess her distortion brand gets shit done but this is seriously weird.

EDIT: Traded her in for Aizul.  This guy is pretty awesome.  I guess I'm wasting all my piety on servants but this is just too cool.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:09:23 pm by Leafsnail »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15