No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360054 times)

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #510 on: March 03, 2012, 09:50:58 am »

Well, the algae seems to be hardy and not-killable...

We should focus on the colony. Yes, it's harsh to let the ecosystem of the planet change in such a way, but we have quite problems on the colony and we have 8 months left for a stable infrastructure for all humans in the ship!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 03, 2012, 09:53:48 am »

Well, the algae seems to be hardy and not-killable...

We should focus on the colony. Yes, it's harsh to let the ecosystem of the planet change in such a way, but we have quite problems on the colony and we have 8 months left for a stable infrastructure for all humans in the ship!
What do you mean 8 months left?

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 03, 2012, 09:56:42 am »

[...]
A small celebration takes place on the anniversary of the ship's arrival. The captain raises a glass and toasts the AI, thanking it for guiding the colony to prosperity. "This next year, we need to get the rest of our people off this ship. And I'm still very concerned about those moons... but we'll see what the new year brings."

Time lapsed in system: 1 year, 0 Months

[...]

This.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 03, 2012, 10:01:06 am »

[...]
A small celebration takes place on the anniversary of the ship's arrival. The captain raises a glass and toasts the AI, thanking it for guiding the colony to prosperity. "This next year, we need to get the rest of our people off this ship. And I'm still very concerned about those moons... but we'll see what the new year brings."

Time lapsed in system: 1 year, 0 Months

[...]

This.

Didn't we pass that deadline already?

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 03, 2012, 10:04:31 am »

No, we have 8 months left.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 03, 2012, 10:07:23 am »

Well, fixing up the algae won't be much of a drain on our resources. Most of the equipment is already there.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 03, 2012, 10:08:13 am »

Well, fixing up the algae won't be much of a drain on our resources. Most of the equipment is already there.

It doesn't help much.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 03, 2012, 12:47:53 pm »

I still say we use the algae for various purposes.Just keep it in check by converting it to fuel and booze.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 03, 2012, 12:50:07 pm »

I still say we use the algae for various purposes.Just keep it in check by converting it to fuel and booze.
We could build more factories and skimmers. Besides, how detrimental is the algae to the ecology? Do we have any data on that?
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 03, 2012, 01:05:12 pm »

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 03, 2012, 01:13:56 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algal_bloom

It's bad.

What are you noting? The redtides? Typically redtides are only dangerous if you happen to swim in the ocean, eat tons of shellfish, or aren't adapted to it. I would understand if the ecosystem weren't adapted to it but we aren't having a redtide. As I understand it everything that's blooming is cyanobacteria. I think we should try our damndest to drop it's population (for now), check how the wildlife is doing under the blooms, make a decision after that. It may not affect the fish at all, none of them need light, it definately shouldn't starve them if it is anything like what they would normally eat (which it should be if they are a product of evolution), and as long as they are all mad up of the same type of protein there will just be a huge swarm of herbivores, then predators, and it will go all the way around until it levels out (again, only if there is something to eat the algae, I would be astounded if there wasn't).

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 03, 2012, 01:21:18 pm »

It's bad.

What are you noting? The redtides? Typically redtides are only dangerous if you happen to swim in the ocean, eat tons of shellfish, or aren't adapted to it. I would understand if the ecosystem weren't adapted to it but we aren't having a redtide. As I understand it everything that's blooming is cyanobacteria. I think we should try our damndest to drop it's population (for now), check how the wildlife is doing under the blooms, make a decision after that. It may not affect the fish at all, none of them need light, it definately shouldn't starve them if it is anything like what they would normally eat (which it should be if they are a product of evolution), and as long as they are all mad up of the same type of protein there will just be a huge swarm of herbivores, then predators, and it will go all the way around until it levels out (again, only if there is something to eat the algae, I would be astounded if there wasn't).

Well... Shit, i thought the english entry has the same text as the german...

However, algal blooms are very dangerous to every ecosystem that needs light and oxygen!
Because the rapid "blooming" of the algae the nutrients and the oxygen is extracted from the water.
That kills all other wildlife. (mainly because the other fishes don't eat the algae on this planet.)
Then the algae dies too and because of the lack of aerobic decomposer, anaerobic decomposer kicks in.
These produces deadly toxins.
That kills pretty much all, expect the algae and some really hardy fishes.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 03, 2012, 01:33:06 pm »

It's bad.

(mainly because the other fishes don't eat the algae on this planet.)

'

I find that hard to believe. There has to be SOME fish that eat algae and their population would explode.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 03, 2012, 01:35:04 pm »

It's bad.

Well... Shit, i thought the english entry has the same text as the german...

However, algal blooms are very dangerous to every ecosystem that needs light and oxygen!
Because the rapid "blooming" of the algae the nutrients and the oxygen is extracted from the water.
That kills all other wildlife. (mainly because the other fishes don't eat the algae on this planet.)
Then the algae dies too and because of the lack of aerobic decomposer, anaerobic decomposer kicks in.
These produces deadly toxins.
That kills pretty much all, expect the algae and some really hardy fishes.

And I got all of that. But if there aren't fish that eat algae then how do we know that the decomposers will make anything poisonous to the ecosystem on this planet, moreover the fish may thrive on it, we just don't know.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 03, 2012, 01:42:04 pm »

[...]
Unfortunately (or fortunately), the algae and plankton infestation has become incredibly potent during this time. There is now a large dead zone in Aquarius, covering 5% of the surface and growing, where no living creature besides the algae and plankton live. The scientist is furious, to say the least.
[...]

Found that.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 117