No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360060 times)

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2012, 11:39:39 am »

>Anyone notice that the birds are sort of... intelligent? Abduct a few of them, do a genetic and brain scan, figure out -how- intelligent they are.

>If they are intelligent to a level approximating human, attempt to initiate contact. If they are not, find out how make them intelligent.

>They're -already- adapted to the planet, why not let them tame the planet? First, figure out what, if any, culture they already have. Document it, adapt the parts that seem good, then:

>Give them human philosophy (definitely! We don't need to wait 5000 years for them to get to modern morality. Slavery is baaaad, mkay?), technology (pre-atomic, except for energy production, possibly fusion under the control of the humans until they're deemed ready, plastics and computers. Just no atomic weapons... Or any weapons, really. Don't want to open that can of worms), and a few humans adapted to the planet (either with genetic manipulation, a sealed environment, or telemanipulating robotics from orbit) to help them with problems. Once they're at a good level, they'll be a whole civilization we can use. They probably number a great deal more than our 5000, a greater workforce and source of research than we'll get otherwise from the humans, probably sooner than we would otherwise.

Also, uplifting species is cool, yo.

I agree with the uplifting and scanning. Not the raising of their intelligence.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2012, 11:42:53 am »

>Anyone notice that the birds are sort of... intelligent? Abduct a few of them, do a genetic and brain scan, figure out -how- intelligent they are.

>If they are intelligent to a level approximating human, attempt to initiate contact. If they are not, find out how make them intelligent.

>They're -already- adapted to the planet, why not let them tame the planet? First, figure out what, if any, culture they already have. Document it, adapt the parts that seem good, then:

>Give them human philosophy (definitely! We don't need to wait 5000 years for them to get to modern morality. Slavery is baaaad, mkay?), technology (pre-atomic, except for energy production, possibly fusion under the control of the humans until they're deemed ready, plastics and computers. Just no atomic weapons... Or any weapons, really. Don't want to open that can of worms), and a few humans adapted to the planet (either with genetic manipulation, a sealed environment, or telemanipulating robotics from orbit) to help them with problems. Once they're at a good level, they'll be a whole civilization we can use. They probably number a great deal more than our 5000, a greater workforce and source of research than we'll get otherwise from the humans, probably sooner than we would otherwise.

Also, uplifting species is cool, yo.

I agree with the uplifting and scanning. Not the raising of their intelligence.

Since when is something like that ever a good idea. Other than 2001 A space Odyssey, and I'm going to call that one a fluke.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2012, 11:46:39 am »

Uplifting -is- raising their intelligence. And only to human level, unless it's already there. I want a sister species/civilization, not slaves. We have robots for slaves, a modern culture needs an educated population to compete and co-operate.

It should only take a generation or two in order to get the birds to our level. Just adapt the technology and philosophy to bird-life (they probably don't need sidewalks or ground-level entrances if they can fly), maybe give them a form of manipulator (thumbs on wings?), and raise one or two generations by humans trained to do so. Those generations can then teach the next, and bam, self-sustaining civilization!

Edit: GotDamnMiracle, it's always gone badly because people don't do it right! They let the species keep their culture even if it's self-damaging or damaging to other species. They give them weapons or the capability to make weapons. And they subjugate the species! Like I said above, the point is make them equals, not slaves. Mindless robots are slaves, bird-beings are scientists and philosophers, engineers and astrobirds.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2012, 11:52:06 am »

OOC Note: Sorry about the wait, having computer issues.

Five more months pass, as the outpost and factory are completed on Aries. Humans seem resistant to name change, stubborn creatures that they are. "You concentrate on making the planet livable," the captain says. "We'll worry about the names."

Unfortunately (or fortunately), the algae and plankton infestation has become incredibly potent during this time. There is now a large dead zone in Aquarius, covering 5% of the surface and growing, where no living creature besides the algae and plankton live. The scientist is furious, to say the least.

When the facilities are completed, the captain designates a team of 50, including the general, to head to the surface. They begin habitation, and while they do not run into any difficulties, they don't make any breakthroughs, either.

The ecosystem review shows the chemical mix of the air needs to be greatly adjusted, cloud cover formed, water introduced, and the temperature raised. Biotic organisms are designed and released into the ecosystem, beginning a process of slow change in the air. Conditions will most likely persist in this form for a few years, as the process ramps up to speed.

The ship in orbit begins construction of a shipyard, and thanks to an insightful suggestion by the general, is able to get it up and running by the time the base on Aries is occupied. It begins productions of self-replicating unmanned probes with greater sensory abilities. The general also orders construction of some basic defensive robots, with rail cannons and heavy armor, for the facility.

The construction bots begin production of a facility that produces more construction bots on Aries, and should be finished within a month.

Plans to abduct an avian creature from Aquarius are considered, and the scientist is intrigued. Unfortunately, there are no vehicles currently designed to operate in atmosphere capable of capturing one. Further work is needed on this topic.

Time lapsed in system: 7 Months

Spoiler: Mission Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: System Info (click to show/hide)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2012, 11:57:14 am »

Create the vehicle! I don't care how, just get a pack of birds on board! And if we're gonna help the birds, try to stem the tide of the algae. Possibly with sea-walls containing the algael bloom. Then burn the sea. (maybe not burning, but a wall is the only thing I can think of.)

If the algae is only on the surface, which it should be since it's photosynthetic, then floating walls should be enough.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:00:03 pm by Descan »
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2012, 12:01:03 pm »

Pretty sure the floating walls are going to leak or be damaged. Also, 5% of the surface would require a large amount of dams to be build. It might be better if we just introduce some algae eating specimens to the planet.

That is if you want to stop the plague.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2012, 12:01:28 pm »

Better idea.Attempt to transport the infestation into space,away from the planet.Have it contained in a special ship.It shall be a useful weapon against enemies

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2012, 12:07:25 pm »

Do we have a mass fabricator?  That question was never answered.
What is that, exactly? Does it do what it says on the tin or is it a bit more complex than that.

A mass fabricator is a (not yet existant machine) that constructs objects molecule by molecule.  From my understanding, a conventional mass fabricator would use nanobots.  Basicly what that means is that if we have an assload of carbon, for example, we could make anything from diamonds to graphite, and everything in between.  If you collected enough random shit, you could make a turky dinner, advanced alloys, or anything else we might need.

that or he might be thinking in supreme commander terms where it just takes a crap load of power to create mass
I've never heard of supreme commander, but it's nothing like that.  You have a big machine, full of nanobots and a computer.  The computer holds molecular blueprints for items.  You can take ANYTHING, but it in the mass fabricator, and the nanobots will break it down into its molecules, or, its atoms if you want to get really fancy.  Then, when you want to build something, you just tell it what blueprint you want to use, and the nanobots will construct it, molecule by molecule, or atom by atom.  I think there are scientists toying with the idea right now.  From my understanding, if it becomes practical, it will do the same thing to industry that conveyor belt did.
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2012, 12:11:34 pm »

They're basically primitive Star Trek replicators, assuming ST Replicators work by changing energy to mass. These work just by mass-to-mass, hence primitive. If replicators work by transporting materials somewhere else on the ship and reconfiguring it, it's basically the exact same thing, except for the transporters.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:13:36 pm by Descan »

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2012, 12:13:06 pm »

They're basically primitive Star Trek replicators, assuming ST Replicators work by changing energy to mass.
The end goal is the same, but it isn't energy to mass.  It's breaking down objects and putting them back to gether atom by atom or molecule by molecule.
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2012, 12:14:04 pm »

Thought I'd interject. The nano-factories are quite capable, but you can't just put anything in. They break stuff down to the elemental level, not the molecular. So if something is made of iron, you need to have enough iron to build it. But dream big and whatnot, if it can't be done I'll let you know and tell you what you'd need to do to make it happen.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2012, 12:21:07 pm »

Read my edit, obolisk.

<3

But yeah, contain the algae, create the abducting vehicle, and grab a tribe/pack. Then... Continue testing. ;D

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2012, 12:31:43 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Point taken. But the issue that still stands is how long will they remain loyal. Keep them at their intelligence level for now. make an equipping device to attach to a probe, that shoots a net. that will work the first time around. Study.  observe. Thats it. For now at least. Wait until at least half of our population is back up before we do that.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2012, 12:36:28 pm »

Edit: Nevermind, he's right. Keep em dumb till we can be of surer footing.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:38:25 pm by Descan »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2012, 12:42:08 pm »

Better idea.Attempt to transport the infestation into space,away from the planet.Have it contained in a special ship.It shall be a useful weapon against enemies
Their just downright boring algae. They're completly useless against enemies, unless those are willing to stand still long enough to be grown over. The fact that makes it so deadly on the planet is that it destroys the habitat of the indeginous species.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 117