Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Wargame European Escelation  (Read 29621 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Wargame European Escelation
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2012, 09:41:28 pm »

What are your guys contacts?

You can also add me, Col. Umiman. Then we can do friendly matches or team up.

We had a bunch of 4v4s today, 4 of us on one team vs randoms (or premades, who knows). A few of them were basically roflstomps, but our last game was quite the fight.

We basically got owned on every single front. Our right flank was completely smashed, literally and figuratively. Nilocy and mine were barely holding on but were basically doomed. At the 10th minute mark we were losing by 2000 points. I shit you not. Yep, we ran into a very well coordinated 4-man PACT tank wrecking ball and were completely reeling. I alone lost 1000 points worth of tanks. It's also here that I discovered that the Soviet T-62M tank has a super hyper accurate ATGM that obliterates anything it comes into contact with. So yeah, we were quite fucked on all fronts and I thought it was a guaranteed loss.

Now, when the match started, I sneakily sent 2 fusiliers and SAS into the side of the enemy's spawn. I couldn't land nearer because there was a giant, 10km wide forest in the way. So I landed on the edge of that and asked my infantry to slowly walk through. By the time we were getting owned, my infantry finally reached the enemy's spawn. So that 30 man squad basically went Rambo inside that giant forest.

At the same time, Nilocy still had an Apache flying around and I had my Kiowa Warrior. So with those two we went around hunting stray command vehicles all over the map.

Wouldn't you know it, within 15 minutes we completely reversed the tide of battle and won. The enemy could no longer advance as all their supply lines were way too stretched and some super elite strike forces (namely my platoon of infantry inside his spawn and our helis) were knocking out all his units. By the end of the game my fusiliers had 20+ kills between all of them and Nilocy's Apache had knocked out at least 3 command vehicles as well as 4 artillery pieces (For some 1000+ points total) alongside whatever else it came across.

Good times!

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2012, 10:04:57 pm »

I'm still warhammer651 on there. haven't had much time to play due to my calc teacher deciding that if she can't have any free time then neither can we
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2012, 12:02:28 am »

Here's some reviews, maybe the OP can link them.

Destructoid: http://www.destructoid.com/review-wargame-european-escalation-222814.phtml
Wargame: European Escalation is the closest you'll get to a full-fledged military simulation of the Cold War era of modern warfare that is still fun to play. It's a cold, calculated affair set in the last decades of the 20th century where the tradition of the Clausewitz style of military doctrine for large-scale operations was still relevant; a style rendered almost obsolete by postmodern 21st century asymmetrical warfare. There is no room for personal glory in the age of industrialized warfare depicted in Wargame, where war is won encounter by encounter, battle by battle, and in which the only human elements that remain are the effect of morale on performance and the personal affliction of losing a high-value unit.

In such a sterile environment, it can be hard to imagine there is any room left for personality, yet you still create your own personal stories through enacting your tactical prowess in the field. You will fondly remember that one time you ambushed a group of M1A1 Abrams tanks with your hidden Spetznaz troops, or that time you drew out a large enemy force with a feint and wiped them out with a pincer move. Even then, such user-generated tactical narratives only serve the greater purpose of victory at a strategic level. Such is the way of war from the command perspective; a way of thinking in movement vectors, weapon platforms, terrain, and statistics.

After two decades, Wargame: European Escalation finally does modern warfare right.

RTS Guru: http://www.rtsguru.com/game/390/article/2271/Wargame-European-Escalation-Review.html
It takes a special type of occasion for a competent and enjoyable Real-Time Tactical game to hit the market, and yet when those particular stars align and the prophecies ring true, it is a magnificent sight to behold. Luckily, 2012 is proving to be a year for such events, and Wargame: European Escalation is beckoning to all strategy enthusiasts like a software-based Messiah.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2012, 12:22:59 am »

That one apache pilot later committed suicide from all the innocent lifes he stole

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2012, 03:07:47 am »

I think the AML 60 mortars are bugged.

They seem to track their targets like a tank does and have nearly perfect accuracy. Hell, I saw them kill T-80s like it was no big deal. A pretty scary thing considering they cost only 20... Not to mention they have no minimum range.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2012, 03:28:03 am »

I also use the same nickname in Wargame as here. Oliolli. Just make sure to type it correctly, people seem to have problems with that. Anyone at Bay 12 should be able to recognize my avatar  :P

EDIT: By the way, umiman. One has to add just Umiman to their friends, it won't recognize Col. Umiman.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 04:59:23 am by Oliolli »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2012, 07:36:55 am »

My name in WEE is Elsior. My NATO deck is not bad (got Leopard 2, that AMX artillery, and some other units I have found useful) but my PACT deck is lacking.

Still at Going for Higher Ground mission in single player.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2012, 09:32:03 am »

I beat that mission with artillery, gunships and recon choppers. And big piles of tanks in the correct spots.

When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2012, 07:54:06 am »

I just learned something new. Apparently it IS possible to have too much artillery in this game's singleplayer. 6 Malkas, 6 Pions, 6 Smerchs, 6 Uragans, 6 of all three kinds of Akatsiyas (?). All fired at once at a single target crashed my game, which i had not saved beforehand :/

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2012, 08:14:56 am »

On average my game goes like this these days;

[enemy quits/lags out]
place units
[drive forward for a bit]
A single massive blob of enemy units (missle laucher spam with only 1 fob, 12 cobras without a recon helicopter to scout for them or 32 leopard 1a1s without any supplys)
[settle down and unpack weapons, aim arty]
Step 1; [pew pew]
Step 2; repeat step 1 and 2.

Now there are a few fine differences, depending on the blob you face. If it's heli spam, they often just ram it into the aa units you  have, thinking you have no thing there. Thats when the motostrelski basic inf gets combat level 4.
Sometimes it's tank spam, who really love to think that right clicking your tank will kill it. Amuse yourself as 2x t-80s take out 31 1a1s.
Arty spam just casually kills itself by just spraying the wrong side of the map and not doing anything.

If you feel like it, flank. Not needed thou. 'There bases are undefended, too.~

[Rage quit of player when his 30 cheap tanks are out in the open, routing and out of ammo]
[Rage quit by his teammates]
~20 min passed, max.

The last 10 out of 12 games went like this. Once I saw a inf spammer, my flame tank (manually spraying a large forest from one end to the other) got 12 kills that game.

As for pact arty, I recommend Malkas is you enjoy the sit-in-your-base-to-arty style. They have great ammo/time/damage ratios and will work great in assisting your assault, if you can spot the enemy for them. Pions are the same deal, but cheaper and less accurate, might work better vs someone who spams cheap units - and you are more likly to stunlock there tanks, could help if you like to assault onto stunned guys.

Akatsiyas are just bad

The Smerch is beautyfull, so very deadly... I highly recommend not using it from your spawn to shotgun the map, but to drive them up a fair distance behind your troops and hitting the enemy just at there minimum range (around 6km). The high strenght of there rockets and there truly horrifying accuracy can and will kill anything (including helicopters) in the target area. I sometimes like to split a group of 4 of them into inv. pieces and then aim each a little off at the target area and since there aiming rectangle is so small anyway, they will hit.

And unlike other arty pieces. you rarly need more then one hit. I found Smerches to be worth the higher price compared to Uragans, but that's just me.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2012, 09:32:21 am »

The main problem with the Smerch is that each volley costs 15 command points in terms of supply trucks. What I mentioned earlier was in singleplayr though, so I needn't overthink things.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2012, 12:44:16 pm »

I will share some basic strategy I use for fun and profit.
I use very balanced decks, pretty much the same for NATO and PACT. While I do have arty in my decks, it is just the standard default stuff you get, nothing else... And I do not use it (or at least have not used it in the last dozen games or so).

On most maps I will start with 4 cheap tanks and 4 mid range tanks (Leopard 1A1s and AMX-30Bs - T-55s and T-62s - I use the M-1 or M-V of the 62 and the B2 of the AMX and sometimes 1A2s or higher of the leopards)
These act as my core tank force... and pretty much the entirety of my tank force.

I support the tanks with 4 each infantry and SAM infantry (Panzergrenadier+Marder 1 and LAAD Stinger+M2 Bradley IFV - Motostrelki+BMP-1 and PZRK Strela-3 +BTR-60PAI)

(Notice I use cheap tanks and expensive infantry... Even my 'best' tank is cheap. Simple reason: my expensive infantry is cheaper than your tank. My infantry will destroy your tank. Even if my infantry dies too, I am winning in points.)
In addition I almost always send 2 AA support vehicles (Marder Roland 2 - 2K22 Tunguska)
These sit right behind my main line and joyfully shoot down helicopters. The AA infantry are nice, but the designated AA platforms are just awesome- between the two of them (and the autocannons on vehicles) I can withstand any helicopter assault, no matter how committed. [Withstand meaning I may lose my entire force, but they will lose a heck of a lot more points than me since they lose theirs too]

If I can afford them I send 2 to 4 supply trucks (HEMTT - URAL-4320)
They supply.

Also if the map (or more so the zone I want to contest) is very forested I will send flamethrower infantry, possibly in place of SAM infantry or my mid range tanks. (SAPEUR+AMX-10P - Sapery+BMP-1)
Many, many times will they seriously pay for themselves many times over. NATO players with hard-ons for Delta Force love to send them into woods thinking they are just sooo tough. Delta, meet NAPALM... I'll often leave the flamethrowers behind to cover deep forest command vehicles too, they can fight off any special forces/recon attacks easily and are decent at shooting down helicopters too (in woods, remember... visibility requires the heli to get right on top of your unit to even see it, so the small arms fire will devastate the helicopters, I usually lose most/all of the flamethrowers in the process but a 30 point flame team is cheap, attack helicopters are not- and I still have the vehicle they came in on my front)

I always, ALWAYS send recon vehicles with the above force. Usually one light recon on the front, one recon helicopter, and multiple recon vehicles all over the flanks (So usually about 4 recon vehicles and one recon heli) (SpPz LUCHS and Gazelle AH.1 - BRM-1 and Mi-9)
The flank recon are normally UAZ-469 and SPz 11-2 KURZ since they are cheaper. Occasionally I'll buy the Gazelle AH.1 SNEB version, to pick on idiot command vehicles.

Above is my main 'attack' force. I send it to the area I want to contest. If possible, I aim for forested zones. I can put the vehicles and tanks in tree lines or hedgerows and unload the infantry into high cover. If possible I send a command vehicle with the force, I often cannot afford one though and just wait to buy it later (while also being sure that the area is safe).

In addition, I always buy 2 AA support and leave them at my starting zone to protect my FOB and command vehicle. (Marder Roland 2 - 2K22 Tunguska)
I also like to have a 4 cheap tanks in reserve there, too (Leopard 1A1sT-55s)
These tanks have saved me (and more often my idiot teammate that leaves their support vehicles unguarded) more times than I can count. The AA even more so. Nothing like watching some dumb enemy send helis at the spawn thinking they are so tough, only to get DESTROYED by my minimal, hidden AA defense.

If I can afford them (and sometimes I will make sacrifices from my main force in order to) I will send recon/special forces units ahead of my main force to secure the command zone. (Green Jacket+Lynx AH.1 and SAS+Lynx AH.1 - 4 VPZU+Mi8T)
I send two helis of each. The SAS are nice for shooting down enemy recon helis and/or transport helis with the same mission. The Green Jackets I try to use only as eyes and less for fighting, but they do see combat a lot.
(I may or may not use an armed version of the Lynx or better armed Mi-8s or the Mi-17, depending on points)

Spoiler: "Green Jacket Fun" (click to show/hide)

Mid game I'l usually spawn some infantry to join my cheap tanks in reserve. I also spawn supply vehicles as needed and will bring in supply helis if safe. I rarely buy new command vehicles beyond the one for the zone I am contesting, but if I do take other zones I will bring in AA inf to cover it, and recon to see attacks coming. If I see a force bigger than my limited defense can beat, I will move my command vehicle out of the zone without hesitation (or, if time permits it, reinforce the zone).
Naturally I will spawn in more inf, AA, tanks, etc. to boost and reinforce my main force.

That is pretty much my OOB. I do not use helicopters very often at all, aside from recon... I have Cobras in my deck but rarely spawn them and I normally just send my MI-8s to my supply lines as a deterrent. They may see action destroying an errant command vehicle or AT team caught int he open, though.
After initial spawn, I tend to avoid buying new tanks and rather buy infantry. Infantry are AMAZING. When I first played I tried using combined forces and I found myself sucking when using infantry, That is no longer true. I've realized they MUST be used in forests or for sneak attacks. You can literally send a squad of infantry into RPG/AT range of an enemy force, in the middle of a field, without them being spotted (You did shoot down their recon heli, RIGHT?). So many players put so many points into AT vehicles that half the time you can advance infantry on an enemy line while only taking fire from a third of it. As soon as you are spotted, advance your tanks and Bradleys or BMPs and focus on the anti-personnel equipped units. Once they are out of the way your infantry can easily clear house while you pull your vehicles back for repair. Or, sneak the infantry up, destroy their AA units (while likely sacrificing the inf) in order to charge forward gunship helicopters (while I don't use helis much, this works to clear for teammates' air forces just as well).

My standard playstyle works very well against balanced decks and helicopter decks. Assuming I can keep the skies clear it is great against artillery decks, too.
The main weakness comes from PACT vehicle rushes. My 4 tank reserve tends to not hold them off well at all. This is normally not a big problem for me because I will just ditch the original command zone when I see it coming (recon, recon, RECON) and the vehicle spam cannot do crap in woods, where I am. The problem is that my teammates tend to ignore it and let the enemy destroy their supply/support/command equipment and then come up behind them in the open. Occasionally I'll fight it myself with infantry, if I can spawn them in if it is a mid/late rush. But, so far I tend to have a losing record against PACT vehicle/inf rushes... but I still blame this on my teammates losing the points, not me.

EDIT:
Oh, last thing.... most important thing:
I watch every single replay of every single battle I am in. I save them all and watch them all; usually right after the battle before starting another. Or later if I don't have time. But the point is: I watch and learn.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:02:06 pm by Goron »

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2012, 09:15:21 am »

Edit: Man, this game is glorious in multiplayer. It seriously is. I especially love flying around the map with my Kiowa scout helicopter and hunting down errant targets. It's one of two units in the game with Hellfire missiles, which are the only fire-and-forget weapons in the game. Not only are they super accurate (for the most part), but you don't have to stand still after shooting. A very important trait when you're operating way behind enemy lines.

The Kiowa is possibly the closest thing this game has to a sniper. Its exceptional-class optics means it can see the furthest distance possible and it's 2.8km range Hellfires mean that whatever it wants to kill is dead. It's very expensive, at 140 points. But I think it's really worth it considering you probably will never lose it and it will infuriate the enemy to no end.

Hell, I used it to repeatedly stop entire enemy tank assaults on my positions just by taking out all the recon or killing off the entire first wave of tanks. Literally nothing is safe from it. I don't care if it's a T-80 or a Challenger 1 or a m'fing jeep.

Sure, it's only slightly cheaper than an Apache (the other unit with Hellfires), but the Apache doesn't have the Kiowa's range or vision so it can't operate on its own. I highly recommend it.

Can I ask, have you tried out the Mi-28 Havoc? Based on your descrition the Hellfire is comparable to the ATAKA V -missile. 2.8 km range, 70% chance to hit at max range and no experience, can be fired on the move, incredibly powerful etc. Glorious.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2012, 09:58:17 am »

Hellfire is fire and forget, I do not believe the ataka v is... (is it?)
That makes all the difference in the world.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2012, 10:21:22 am »

I still feel dirty when I drop special forces inf behind enemy lines and punch there arty/command vehicle.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12