Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Wargame European Escelation  (Read 29589 times)

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
Wargame European Escelation
« on: February 20, 2012, 12:06:13 pm »

Preordered this, and am Having fun with the beta. Was wondering if anyone else here has or is planning on getting it. Since I suck at describing things, I'm going to let the steam store describe it before attempting to do so myself.

Spoiler: Steam Description (click to show/hide)

Basically its a mil-sim thats a bit on the arcade side, but more realistic than say, World in Conflict. Infact I'd put it at about the middle ground between WiC and Achtung Panzer for instance. it uses a modified and updated version of the engine RUSE used, but this one won't have a console port, so they're able to go much more in detail. Fuel and Ammo is modeled, so supply lines need to be kept up in order to keep the war machine a burnin. Damage is also modeled in the middle, with vehicles able to have components damaged.

In addition, players arrange "Decks" of units that they unlock through playing. Each deck is limited to 25 units and their variants (so for instance, all of the variants of a M1 Abrams would take up one unit slot) and limited to 5 of each type (For instance you could only put 5 diffrent tanks in a deck). This means that players will have to decide before hand how to arrange their army and the strategies they will use. I for instance tend to go heavy infantry, with a small assortment of tanks to support, with a bit of Anti Air and Artillery to cover my ground forces, with a large Helicopter force to cover any infantry caught in the open.

Currently the Beta only has four maps, one for each game size (1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4) But the maps I've seen look solid and well made for this type of game. The beta does however, have all the units in the game, and I can say I've seen some suprisingly well thought out strategies in my ranked 1v1 matches.

Beta is over, a bunch more maps, and next patch will include full skirmish AI, so you can have 4v4AI comp stomps.

Anyway, here's the link to the site if you guys are interested. http://wargame-ee.com/
EDIT: Also the trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaIe9T_VDWc
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 03:39:27 pm by Silent_Thunder »

Chaosgabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wargame European Escelation
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 01:11:31 pm »

I´ve read about that game too, it made me want to reinstall WiC. (Does the WiC multiplayer even work anymore? Iirc the developer is  bankrupt?)
From what i gathered from your post you can play as AA and tanks at the same time, so the emphasis on teamwork is not as heavy as in WiC? Also you unlock stuff, so a new player doesn´t stand a chance against an experienced one?
Overall, how does it compare to WiC?

Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.

010100000101001001000101010100000100000101010010010001010010000001010100010011110010
000001000100010010010100010100101100001000000100111000110000001100000100001000101110

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AirXgJdhuyq6dHNvWVVsZWF6S2xuZzdkSi1xSUdPeVE&hl=de#gid=0

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 01:50:57 pm »

I bought it today but don't think I am going to play until it releases in 3 days. I am hopeful that it turns out like Silent_Thunder told me and it's like a combo of WiC and Ruse.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Stout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 05:17:37 pm »

I pre-paid for the game on steam and was given early access.  I have to say this game has blown me away, its a great team-work oriented strategy game that has really hit a good spot.  Its new and exciting for me while also being semi-familiar.  I suggest everyone check out the demo, if they have on that is after the game is released, if your still on the fence about the game.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 05:38:09 pm »

Look like a fun game
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:39:44 pm by Elfeater »
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 06:30:07 pm »

Just had a great match where it came down to just seconds left and my teamate got ambushed by some spetnaz who flanked him through the forest and we lost.

A quick tip since the beta has no tutorial, you HAVE to make a deck before starting a match. I didn't know this gem before I started.

Image:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 06:59:47 pm »

It appears that the Devs and Steam are releasing the game 1 day early, right now as a matter of fact!

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 09:16:01 pm »

I liked RUSE, though I never played multiplayer on it (I don't think I'm very good). Will be interested in this if it has a decent skirmish option, I like the setting a great deal. It certainly looks fantastic.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 09:41:08 pm »

I'll wait for a sale, but it looks pretty good. Always looking out for good escalator sims! :3

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 10:40:46 pm »

Got it pre-ordered, played the beta, just played an SP mission, but I love the game. A great mix of World in Conflict and RUSE, without being shitty like RUSE.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 11:58:20 pm »

I just lost 5 hours tonight to this game. Single player is strangely rewarding and gives you stars to unlock units for SP and MP. They really did a great fucking job!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 04:42:37 am »

Any idea how long the SP campaign is?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 08:25:09 am »

I bought it. Played the first campaign mission, seems really enjoyable. Still not completely comfortable with things, but I think I'll like it a bunch once I get used to it. Not sure if I'll ever try multiplayer, but hopefully the single player skirmish mode will get some love (I hear it's just 1 v 1 right now) so I can set up massive matches like in RUSE. That was always neat.

I have to get some sleep now. Look forward to playing some more later.

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 08:33:30 am »

Looks nice, I'll probably get it when it's on sale

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 10:08:59 am »

I played this a fair bit so far and it's enjoyable to a degree and offers fairly competitive gameplay.

Most common pubby stats are just plain old heli spam (Nato decks love this)  - any aa or inf in cover will beat that anyway.

The most op thing atm? Polish inf for 10 deployment cost. In anothergame vs a helispammer nubcake (As always) two squads (20 points) took down 10 apaches (1 200 points) with there assault rifles.

Gameplay needs polish, like "look, your units will take this path" and "you can now hold down right mouse button to control there facing" and "here is a hold fire/button" or a "hold fire till XXX range button" and a "here, see a CIRCLE around your unit, showing where it's LoF is blocked by that tiny hill that you can't even see from your view...

My 100%, 100% of the time tactic is a simple adaptations of basic warfare principles (Thanks art of war); buy single units, single stacks of motostelski (the polish inf for 10) in pairs of 2-4 units, single flamethrower tanks (35-45 p each) and the cheap AA on-a-truck-dudes (15 p) as well as a pair of t-80s (the higher tiers with the 2.800 m range, instead of the range of
1 960 that every normal MBT has). 1-2 elite inf in helicopters if you feel like a dick + command armor (230 p) - then buy the nice large russian arty guns (Pion) and a extra Forward field base or two, depending on points given at the start.

When the game starts, MOVE FAST all units towards there points (I often have two main battle groups if I have to cover two lines of territorys.

On the way to the points, spread all units out... inf heads to buildings/forsets, recon covers far flanks and uses it's speed to get a good viewpoint (I prefer recons with no guns, so they spot but never get spoted) and put your flametanks into cover near roads. AA can chill a bit behind. Spread everything out nicly and push up to where your reacons meet the first enemies. AT the same time start shelling the enemy approche (blindfire is fine at the start, delay em for a headstart) and send the helis to there spawn (long-safe-way prefered).

Now the enemy will come in with a nice blob of heli spam or mbt spam (all they ever do apperently), which will ram headfirst into your cheap units. A single flamethrower tank (35 p) can kill any squad of main battle tanks (up to 500 p) and stunlock them with his flamethrower (while you set the arty in) - the same goes for the cheap polish inf (5p -> can kill anything in the game in close range). You always focus the arty on tanks and if the enemy ever feels like inf/helis, just let your AA on trucks shot em. The t-80s you got should chill around the enemy main tank force where you can always pick them off savly, since if they come closer they will get stunlocked by the cheap inf/flamethrower tanks/arty - and you have the better range/guns and crazy front armor (+better scouting).

The 1-2 squads of heli inf you send to there spawn should disembark now and sneak up, taking out any annoying arty (normally also taking over the first supply trucks the enemies start to send at this point and allowing you to send them to yourself) - and the helis search for there command vehicle. Take that out and you already won for the most part. Your spread out units now start moving forward, whereever there is no defence. If you send a inf unit foward and you see "oh that forest is filled with baddies - thats okay, you lost 5 p worth of troops and now you are shelling that thing like no tommorow while your flamethrower tanks set it alight. Profit.

Your army should flow forward like water, around hard strongpoints of the enemy (keep shelling them, they will run out of supplys soon and be cut off) and flow into weak points (focusing on taking out command vehicles since noone can cover all flanks, nor is anything safe from up close polish inf/flames/endless arty.

Won all my games so far, even the "teammate quits in the middle of the game" games, which happens far to often (needs some punishment, like in LoL). It's glorious, winning the field battle while having 50% of your total points in shameless arty spam.

As for the game: Only get it if you are into war simulators and have some buddys to play it with (otherwise it will loss its "charm" soon)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12