Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Wargame European Escelation  (Read 29607 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Wargame European Escelation
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2012, 04:31:31 am »

But where are all the archers and spearmen?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2012, 07:19:26 pm »

Oh wow. The final campaign. NOW WE'RE TALKING!

I highly recommend everyone try to get here, because here is where the real fun starts!

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 02:31:58 am »

Just want to say Wargame EE is the best war strategy game I have played since Company of Heroes!

Okay, back to saving Poland from the rebels nao.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 10:57:17 am »

Yay, delightfully enjoying this.
Played a few multiplayer games, got whipped each time but I am learning.
Thtblovesdf prepared me for the experience... very badly. I expected a lot of heli coming at me and got hardly any, my hordes of SAM and other AA sat silently until overrun by the tank heavy enemies I fought. Thinking maybe it was just the first, second, third, opponent that just happened to not be heli spamming I kept going pretty heavy into AA... I've learned my lesson. In the end I think I've seen a total of six enemy helicopters over a half dozen games (2 in one, 4 in another, zero the others).
So, here is my advice to any newbie, don't spam AA (-:

I also learned (the hard way) how to buy stacks of units in groups... At first I was brining in individual tanks and inf units like a dope. Multiclick/control click is now my friend.

I really need to play some single player to get some stars to upgrade my deck... I need more AP weapons... Badly.

Edit: let me be clear, I a, not blaming thtblovesdf for my failures, I blame myself for taking them too seriously, at no time did he say spend half your points on AA, I did that on my own like a dope(-:
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:02:50 am by Goron »

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2012, 12:53:07 pm »

Excellent game. Played it in the beta, keep playing it now. It. Is. Excellent.

Probably the best RTSG I've played, and I've played a lot of RTS games.

I highly recommend everyone try to get here, because here is where the real fun starts!

In order to get there do I have to complete the 2nd and 3rd campaign, or only one of them?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2012, 03:08:24 pm »

Thtblovesdf prepared me for the experience... very badly.

Hey man, beta days be beta days, your a month late :P

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2012, 03:22:21 pm »

Thtblovesdf prepared me for the experience... very badly.

Hey man, beta days be beta days, your a month late :P
Heh, yeah... But even then my taking the AA to the extreme would still have been a poor move on my part.
I've finally adjusted my play with a nice new deck...
I focus on tanks as my primary hurt with Bradley's acting as support... Bradley's loaded with stinger inf, that is. The stingers do a decent job of scaring helis away (experienced my first big enemy heli attack today, between the stingers and the best NATO Sam vehicle I did pretty well, SLOW ass reload on SAMs!)
I use a recon heli to scout ahead with a recon vehicle to cover my ground forces... As well as a couple recon vehicles around the main spawn to see flank attacks coming.
I use the standard jupiters for supply for my main tank force, two sets of two that ferry back and forth from the FOB. I have a supply chinook in the deck too for faster/distance resupply but have yet to effectively use it.
A couple tanks sit at the fob as well as some arty, and that's pretty much it...

One thing I wish this game had was mines. Id love to scatter some mines in fields to slow tank/vehicle rushes. In an earlier game the enemy just shot right past my main force and overan my FOB before I could stop him, then he was able to just sit and defend while my force tried to take it back... With the amount of vehicle spam they did I couldn't stop the rush, they literally just zipped right past my main force. Now, a couple of mines on the roads would have changed that. I'm not saying hidden mines, just normal, surface, visible mines. The type that deter rather than surprise.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2012, 03:46:48 pm »

Just want to say Wargame EE is the best war strategy game I have played since Company of Heroes!

so it's more a strategic game like coh and less tactical like, say, R.U.S.E.?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2012, 03:54:50 pm »

"Back to saving Poland from the rebels" referred to the second campaign.

When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 04:02:08 pm »

I might be confused... But isn't ruse strategery and coh tacticular? (fake words intended, for fun and profit).

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2012, 04:50:32 pm »

I might be confused... But isn't ruse strategery and coh tacticular? (fake words intended, for fun and profit).

maybe. I was just using as a grouping and not really thinking about the meaning.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2012, 08:21:40 pm »

Excellent game. Played it in the beta, keep playing it now. It. Is. Excellent.

Probably the best RTSG I've played, and I've played a lot of RTS games.

In order to get there do I have to complete the 2nd and 3rd campaign, or only one of them?
Either of them. The Russian one is particularly challenging.

I completed the game yesterday. There's no epilogue... which is quite problematic.

-----

Edit: Man, this game is glorious in multiplayer. It seriously is. I especially love flying around the map with my Kiowa scout helicopter and hunting down errant targets. It's one of two units in the game with Hellfire missiles, which are the only fire-and-forget weapons in the game. Not only are they super accurate (for the most part), but you don't have to stand still after shooting. A very important trait when you're operating way behind enemy lines.

The Kiowa is possibly the closest thing this game has to a sniper. Its exceptional-class optics means it can see the furthest distance possible and it's 2.8km range Hellfires mean that whatever it wants to kill is dead. It's very expensive, at 140 points. But I think it's really worth it considering you probably will never lose it and it will infuriate the enemy to no end.

Hell, I used it to repeatedly stop entire enemy tank assaults on my positions just by taking out all the recon or killing off the entire first wave of tanks. Literally nothing is safe from it. I don't care if it's a T-80 or a Challenger 1 or a m'fing jeep.

Sure, it's only slightly cheaper than an Apache (the other unit with Hellfires), but the Apache doesn't have the Kiowa's range or vision so it can't operate on its own. I highly recommend it.

-----

Edit edit:

I noticed so far that no one has ever attacked me when they're being attacked themselves. Is it a psychological thing? I guess I myself wouldn't mount a major offensive if I were getting constantly poked in the side by a single errant helicopter.

It's a pretty interesting point too, because it simply means so long as I mount little skirmishes here and there, I don't really have to worry about a major defense. So the psychological advantage will always be mine.

Do you think you guys have the mental fortitude to coordinate a large attack while dealing with guerrilla strikes at the same time?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 02:32:32 am »

I think I'm currently in the second-to-last mission in both of those two campaigns. Hamburger hill with only 10 losses!?!?

Better stock up on artillery...

Maybe I should try out the kiowas, could also spot for artillery in case it runs out of Hellfires  :P

As for the attack-while-being-poked -thing, that's where teamplay is supposed to come in.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 05:25:54 am »

Pact doesn't get Kiowas btw. :P I'm not sure if they get anything comparable to it (The Havoc comes close). Their air recon is quite crap in general. They do have the Strelka (?) ATGM vehicle with nearly 3km range and perfect accuracy. I didn't unlock that till later myself but you could try that. I completed that bonus objective with a ludicrous amount of saving and loading.

Yeah, that's the hardest bonus objective by far. There are a few tough ones after that, but if you complete this, you basically can do anything. xD

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2012, 05:49:23 am »

Do you think you guys have the mental fortitude to coordinate a large attack while dealing with guerrilla strikes at the same time?

it's not just the fortitude and capacity of splitting attention; the game peace influences a lot on how many concurrent things you can manage.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12