Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - V2 - 5 year Challenge  (Read 52868 times)

Caprealis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Next Crusade~ Praise Armok!
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - 10 year Challenge
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2012, 12:48:45 am »

I shall start this today..
Hello, My name is irrelevant, And I represent no one.
And there is no place like 127.0.0.1

Poch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2012, 01:21:11 am »

First year of my new fortress

First day :
Since we arrived there are numerous undead "things" wandering around, beyond the river bed. We sent a few guards to watch the wagon while our 2 brave miners were digging the first tunnel into the volcanic mountain.

101, Malachite, 28 : first dwarf dead, another dead soon
The 2 marksdwarfs, the axeman and the swordsman were ready to deal with animated corpses, but the attack came from behind. A giant mantis went down the hill but get strucked down right away. But a Giant Loose Corpse managed to sneak into the fight and killed my brave spearman after he tried to stick his spear into the louse 3rd leg. The other dwarves killed the undead louse, but my swordsman went melancolic just after that.

101, Galena, 1st : arrival of 6 migrants
Only a few days after the first dwarves died, a bunch of fresh ones arrives ! That's good news. I cant' see their castes with DwarfTherapist. I use the old one to see them, but IDK if the displayed caste is exact ? Oh and one of my horses starved to death, i thought grazind had been removed ? I send my remaining armored horse outside to paste then.

101, Limestone, 26 : the swordsman died of thirst, one of my markswarf is striken by melancholy, too. I should speed up the happiness industry setup...

101, Sandstone, 4 : another wave of migrants. 3 dwarves this time. I found mithril ! I still have to figure out how to make bars of it.

101, Sandstone, 14 : my last marksdwarf has been found dead. Killed by 2 alligator corpses while trying to hunt a giant owl or something.
101, Sandstone, 19 : my landmine has been missing for a week. Hum...

101, Obisidan 19 : arrival of a drow caravan ! I have a few bins of stonecrafts encrusted with cave fungus to trade. (that's the only way i found to get rid of it, as i cant figure out where it is supposed to be stockpiled). Anyway, they killed a lot of undead birds ! They were annoying my dwarves for months now ! Lets see what they have to sell. They have darklight iron, but i can't find any reference on that. Beside slade bars and evilfull items, they seem to be mostly selling dwarf things. Special attention for a copper cage  incrusted with faint yellow diamonds they wouldn't sell for less than 12000 ! Maybe they have some exotic weapons or armors, but i can't see the end of the labels on the trading screen. Btw, choosing how many berries i want everytime is really annoying. We could really use a cleaner trading screen.

102, Slate, 28 : A new wave arrived. 35 migrants ! That's my biggest wave of all times ! A lot of them have combat skills, so they are going to refill my empty squads ! The wave contains 6 marksdwarves and 8 melee dwarves. Not bad at all. My last first wave warrior will now lead the militia !

102, Felsite, 13 : Elven caravan. I'm buying a giant eagle, food, plants, and a giant wombat ! I'm ordering raptors and a few giant desert scorpions. Can't wait next year to see if they bring them.

102, Felsite 28 : it is now summer ! It means first year is over ! I managed to organize things a little, but it is still a huge room with a lot of stockpiles and workshops everywhere... No forges yet. The only good thing is that i traded a lot of crafts for food & booze. My dwarves have a dormitory, with standard beds and detailed stone.

Next year, i'll try to start producing food and better pieces of equipment for my military. I ended the year with 5 deads and 48 living dwarves, thanks to my last migration wave. Actually it started quite bad, but with the end of winter, came good news :)

3 childs were born the first year ! I suppose the dwarven mummies were already pregnant when they arrived here.

Future years will do shorter reports ^^
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 01:27:08 am by Poch »

Poch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2012, 02:55:41 am »

Second year is the year of the living deads... My dwarves keep waking up from their tombs ! It's really annoying because the tombs are near the main rooms... Everyone is always distracted by fights between mutilated dead-living-dwarves and my military...

The best part is they do generate more body parts, and i have some dwarves with 4 or 5 tombs to their names... But undead bodies keep reviving... I really don't know what to do about this, and the dance of the deads has been going for 6 months now, keeping my dwarves from doing anything, from trade to eating or sleep. Some are beginning to throw tantrums. I see where this is going...

ZOMBIE SPIRAL !!! I tried everything but my dwarves are not prepared for this. I'll retry in a non-zombifying area ^^
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 04:24:13 am by Poch »

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2012, 04:34:03 am »

I have a few bins of stonecrafts encrusted with cave fungus to trade. (that's the only way i found to get rid of it, as i cant figure out where it is supposed to be stockpiled).

erm, turn tempature on... your cave fungus overpile will solve itself.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2012, 12:15:33 pm »

@Itchybeard: First of all: Thanks a lot, the report is exactly what I was hoping for. Trust me, I will balance what you mentioned.

@poch: Yep, Temperature on is required, otherwise your fireturrets/landmines/many reactions (golems as well) dont work. If you have a lot of fungus lying around and turn temp on, then be prepared for it to slime everything full ;)

Try fire (again, temp on) against the undeads, or just lock them away. Bury a dwarf, wall the coffin in. Otherwise, nice report, good to see that drows come and have evil things. Did they send a diplomat to order from as well ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Gukag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2012, 01:04:22 pm »

If you have access to magma, make a dump zone right next to a magma pit throw the corpses in before they revive. If not, you can always just dig a regular pit. Zombie moats seem to be popular. Means you have to engrave a slab for everyone unless you want to be drowning in ghosts.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2012, 04:27:17 pm »

Or just do a magma moat filled with zombies. :) Or zombie moat filled with magma, whatever suits you.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Poch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2012, 05:36:45 pm »

Try fire (again, temp on) against the undeads, or just lock them away. Bury a dwarf, wall the coffin in. Otherwise, nice report, good to see that drows come and have evil things. Did they send a diplomat to order from as well ?

Absolutely ! They have a lot of interesting things in general, mostly exotic pet for what concerned me at that time if i recall correctly. I've embarked on a good biome, i'll retry evil areas when i'll be more cumfortable with zombie situations. Next fort may be a resident evil revival with death traps everywhere in case the dead raise from their tombs ^^ I burried them on the "good" part of the map so i thought it would be ok. But it wasn't.

EDIT : not sure about the drow diplomat... maybe i confuse with elf.

I have a few bins of stonecrafts encrusted with cave fungus to trade. (that's the only way i found to get rid of it, as i cant figure out where it is supposed to be stockpiled).

erm, turn tempature on... your cave fungus overpile will solve itself.

Thanks for the tip ! Indead it solved my problem right away ;) I never saw my dwarves beeing so impatient about cleaning the place.

If you have access to magma, make a dump zone right next to a magma pit throw the corpses in before they revive. If not, you can always just dig a regular pit. Zombie moats seem to be popular. Means you have to engrave a slab for everyone unless you want to be drowning in ghosts.

That's what i tried after reading some documentation about the subject. But it was too late. I'll retry another time
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:06:30 pm by Poch »

Alarion

• Bay Watcher
  • I put on my robe and wizard hat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2012, 12:25:21 pm »

This sounds interesting and a nice break from the Genesis mod I've become so accustomed to over the past year. I'll download it tonight and try to write things out, and see if I can actually last for 10 years this time (I've never quite made it past 8 before being brutally slaughtered or other horrible things happened. Gonna try this now though :))
Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.
Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.
Now the Great Lord comes. Now the Great Lord comes.
Blood feeds blood. Blood calls blood. Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.
Now the Great Lord comes.

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2012, 12:33:58 pm »

Nothing happened in Year 1. Ran out of wood. Shit went down, as my kitchens flooded.

See the 'I'll Draw Your Stories' thread (Or whatever it's called. It's stickied) for the exploits in year 2.
Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2012, 02:59:09 pm »

@elf lover: Nice story in the other thread :)

Just a note: Currently animal thread does not work, I already fixed that for the next release. Otherwise there are many little issues, none of them major. I fixed 90% of them, and work on more flavor and balancing for the next version. It will solely focus on fixes and balancing, no new features for it. Also a more detailed manual is in work.

Alarion

• Bay Watcher
  • I put on my robe and wizard hat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2012, 03:12:51 pm »

Alright, embarked on an interesting area.

World name: The Infinite Dimensions
Continent name: The Defended Land
Area: The Hill of Death (!)
Road: The Ways of Tangling
Brook: The Negative Fortress (!!)

This should be interesting indeed, I mean, with such a name...

Update later.
Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.
Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.
Now the Great Lord comes. Now the Great Lord comes.
Blood feeds blood. Blood calls blood. Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.
Now the Great Lord comes.

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2012, 03:28:21 pm »

My current MW 1.4 fort is going well, just getting a proper (armored) military set up. A nigh unkillable forest titan w/ a web attack is currently sitting outside my fort shutting down all trade (and ambushes, and anything else which appears).

I needed to replace my weaponsmith after the previous one went all moody for silk (which I didn't have), so I tried out the library system.

For an input of 3 planks of wood and about half a year of reading I have a peasant who learnt legendary weaponsmithing purely from books one of my other random peasants wrote. I'm now looking at training my military from books...

Might need to up the requirements for books a little. At a minimum I'd go for dye (for ink), leather (for the cover/binding), and paper (for the pages). Might want to increase the number of required pages for each book a little too.

Another issue is that all of the books/pages don't get stockpiled, so they just sit in the scriptorium forever cluttering it up until they get moved to a library location (where they clutter it up). Dwarves will learn slower in a library with more books which seems a little silly :D. The issue seems to be that dwarves will randomly pick up a new book instead of using the book they were just using. Not sure how you can fix that.

Other things (also for 1.4):
  • Can make altars out of anvils. Not that I'm complaining... an altar made out of anvils is pretty cool, just not sure it's intended.
  • Can make meteorite bricks. Not sure what meteorite is meant to be used for, but I now have 1 meteorite brick from a repeat bricks job.
  • There are two entries for plain 'bolts' in the military ammo menu - one is marked as foreign.
  • Vellum is referred to as paper, vellum, or parchment in different places.
  • I had a migrant turn up who was meant to be 'anti-undead' from their caste description. What she actually did was hang around my refuse pile raising a hostile raven corpse using necromantic gestures while the rest of my dwarves killed it. Over and over again. It was hellish when she wandered past my coffins (which are currently in my dining room - don't ask). She was 8 years old. I sacrificed her for some weapons and armor. Not sure why she was an adult at 8 years old. She also didn't appear to have any of the other characteristics of a necromancer, so my plan of shoving her in a tower without food or drink was a no-go.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2012, 04:29:39 pm »

Thanks for the report.

Wow, you are lucky (or unlucky) since the holy warrior caste has a pop ratio of 1. About 1 in 1000 dwarves is one, but sad to hear that they raise hostile undeads. They should raise friendly deads, back to actual LIFE. As in: go to graveyard, heal all the dead people. Like a miracleworker.

I noted the other issues and will work on them. But books are stockpiled together with toys in finished goods stockpiles, at least the last time I checked ;)

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2012, 04:37:48 pm »

Not sure why she was an adult at 8 years old.

I think this is a feature. Dwarves are set in raws to grow up in 5 years. I changed that to 15 manually in creature_standard raw file (under the chld section of a dwarf entity).

Also my new fort using my temporal fix for yarn thread (1.4) is working fine so far. 3 years passed, no crashes, no weird stuff.

Drows come to trade their strange items, human caravans have new stuff as well. Goblins are wearing that rusty iron crap. All seems nice  8)
Welcome to the mad, mad world of RAW errors or duplication. Somewhere you have files which dont quite add up, and crazy shit happens(..) There are instances of this where you can adventure as a fly, or embark with wagonmeat, wearing shoes made of burning soap(..)

DF is so awesome that it doesnt just crash, it crates batshit crazy worlds where intelligent chairs farm dragons and make houses out of thier toenails.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16