Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - V2 - 5 year Challenge  (Read 52858 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - 10 year Challenge
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2012, 01:25:28 pm »

Good that the farm-able trees have [BIOME:NOT_FREEZING] and wont work on glaciers anyway ;)
It takes 1/2-1 year for a tree to grow, and you need the timberyard to process it, so I hope I did not make it too easy.

But it has not been tested in the long run. I am curious how well it will turn out, or if people start getting drowned in tree-seeds.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2012, 05:03:04 pm »

well damn, im running a fort for the ten year challenge and had 3 thunderbirds show up in quick succession, however latest results show that migrant mobs beat even a well trained army against single enemies.

actually somewhat realistic if you think about it, 40 pissed off midgets would be devastatingly effective in combat giant one giant bird.

EDIT: also i embarked at WAR with orcs, i see this going poorly when they show up to greet my 12 steel clad militia members.

also i have no metal smelting operation anywhere in the fortress, just 4 priests praying their asses off for hard metal, about the same end result.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:05:12 pm by bombzero »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2012, 08:16:08 pm »

Year 7 at *Staffrhymed*

A quiet year at Staffrhymed.  Our Baroness is very good at mandates -- she is content with spears and cabinets.  Our artisans engrave statues of pastoral scenes such as masterfully crafted stacks of cloth.  We've just surpassed 5M of created wealth.  The Electrum Hall and other constructions in the deeps are nearing completion.  With arms and armor fully stocked, the forge-dwarves turn their efforts to stockpiling damast steel ammo. 

The siege of late fall 6 was strong, a full army of naga & magmahounds and for the first time, a group of orcs.  This time, we finally really did just lock them out.  Siege weapons and a few weapon traps scattered at strategic chokepoints in the countryside gradually wore down the siegers.  Eventually, a wandering Ettin disrupted the camps and they wandered within throwing-axe range of the walls, where they were cut down in their tracks.

A project for year 7 is to extend a second layer of defenses that can protect caravans approaching the front gate:  A few cages full of war animals, hooked to levers.  An external arrow tower.  And a moat and a few other obstacles to some additional protection and provide clean lines of fire for our archers.

Limestone, 107

Well, the moat flooded the access tunnel to the arrow tower, rendering both useless.  Oops.  Nothing a few pumps can't fix.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:27:25 am by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2012, 11:28:33 am »

Hey, you are still alive :) (sadly no Giants/Automatons to test your defenses though)

For the traders: Dig a 3tile wide tunnel, and make the Depot accessable only through it. Make the exit near the border of the map, and all caravans will always arrive near it. Old trick, dont know if you know it. If only one green way (D) is shown, all caravans spawn on it.

@bombzero: Go for fossils, sould get some things out of it for defense. Shark Jaws mostly ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:19:28 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2012, 02:40:46 pm »

Yeah with no giants/automatons, nor advanced FD races, it should be smooth sailing from here on out.  I finally did learn to turn off cooking with oil if i want to stabilize the biofuel & lamellar leather industries. 

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2012, 04:19:45 pm »

This still running?

If so;

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.
Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2012, 05:25:02 pm »

Sure, but you will use the 1.3 version I guess. Turn: Harder Farming OFF, since grazing birds are rather suicidal, sitting in the nestbox and starving themselves.

This means actual tree-farming, runic weapons and armored pets, as well as more golems and guilds for you ;)

I also fixed some little things that turned up:
Fixed bonemeal making
Removed grazing from birds, they kill themselves otherwise.
Lowered the number of eggs by 50% (again) for all domestic birds.
Fixed farmable wood types. They can now be used in the timberyard as well.

@smakemupagus: I am aware of how difficult oil is, I added pig-tail oil to the new version, so you can produce it a lot easier in 1.3
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 05:28:38 pm by Meph »

Llamainaspitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2012, 06:51:12 pm »

Just went through Five or so different ambushes within a year.
Plus a siege.
Plus Another 10-20 deaths.
I keep cheating death.
hope i can do it for Five More years.
Pyromancers showed up, killed an entire caravan, with it's guards, then most of my dwarves.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2012, 04:54:51 am »

Year 8 at *Staffrhymed*

There was no big siege at the end of 107, so I have been looking for some mini-projects to pass the time.  Exploratory mining has turned up a tiny bit of adamantium.  Half the farms have moved down to the caverns (forge layer is 185 urists below topside, so the hauling booze down has been a drain).  And finally, I tried to set up 3 fire traps, each consisting of a 10x5 patch of coke road and either a hellfire turret or a fire landmine, each in the spots where the naga siege camps arrive.  The attack finally came in Galena of 108!  Unfortunately, the landmines weren't enough to ignite their patches of coke, but the Helfire turret got the job done, and the naga were utterly routed.  It was pretty awesome.  Of course, it also burned down my bridge and a bunch of other small stuff that will have to be rebuilt.  I was surprised that the fire went out in a couple weeks, although, it's probably just as well in this case.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 05:19:10 am by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2012, 10:05:07 am »

So the lignite/bituminous fire road works ? (but if you have hellfire turrets that shouldnt matter much. I hoped to be able to use the bonfire to start it, in a more controlled manner. This gets me the stupid idea to just make a building called: tarpit, that only accepts tar as buildmat and has the reaction: Light the tar, using the same workings as the bonfire. Maybe make it a 3*3 field.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:07:31 am by Meph »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2012, 04:18:07 pm »

So the lignite/bituminous fire road works ? (but if you have hellfire turrets that shouldnt matter much. I hoped to be able to use the bonfire to start it, in a more controlled manner. This gets me the stupid idea to just make a building called: tarpit, that only accepts tar as buildmat and has the reaction: Light the tar, using the same workings as the bonfire. Maybe make it a 3*3 field.)

Yes, the hellfire turret did most of the work, you're right, of course the road keeps burning continuously even between fire-blasts from the turret and after the turret is killed.  Don't know about these newfangled DF34 undead, but Fire very effective against the MW-undead.

You can't build a bonfire right on top because the road is a building and takes up the space.

*Sandstone, 108*

Getting some use of the ballista-foundry!
Slade-bolts are lethal to naga, and war-bears.  (regular blackbronze bolts are doing OK too -- are ballista much more accurate than catapult?).  They actually do some damage to magmahounds too, but of course those don't "give in to pain"
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 05:26:51 pm by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2012, 06:17:44 pm »

For everyone: I uploaded a quick and dirty update, 1.4 only three new features: Trap Overhaul&Upgrades, Necromancer can be trained in the Temple, and Drows will send caravans in winter. Mostly the update was for bugfixes, and released that early because several people asked me to do so.

@smakemupagus: Since you are the only one who really participates, instead of just writing: Challenge accepted, and then nothing, I will declare you a winner. ^^ Send me a PM for the custom things you'd like to have in the mod :)

@the rest who wants to try: Challenge is still open of course. Use 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 whatever you like. Main goal of this is to test the mod in the long run, how balanced it is. I also updated the traps and tradegoods, so reports on these two topics are welcome as well.

Poch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2012, 10:40:20 pm »

Hello

First, let me say thank you for such a great mod ! Lot of really cool and awaited features in here !

I played a few years with the version available when this topic was created. I just moved on 1.4, genned a custom world (basically i merged volcano settings with many biomes settings) to start with a nice volcano / river / joyous wild / terrifying embark ! It just lacks the demonic fortress but its a bit too far on the spot to have it in a single 4*4 square :(

I have custom embark params :
  • Expedition leader : only social skills
  • Artisan : one level in all usefull skills (masonry...)
  • All other dwarves have student, teacher, concentration, observer, a military skill level 5 (marksdwarf*2, spear, sword, axe), and 1 or 2 points in defense skills.
I usually have to form squads just after embark to survive ^^

I won't comment on my previous experiences (mostly familiarizing with the new features), and comment my new game instead.

I just embarked, so nothing else to say yet, maybe a little screen would be appreciated :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT : OMG !
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:45:35 pm by Poch »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2012, 11:11:55 pm »

@smakemupagus: Since you are the only one who really participates, instead of just writing: Challenge accepted, and then nothing, I will declare you a winner. ^^ Send me a PM for the custom things you'd like to have in the mod :)

Oh, very nice, thank you.  I don't have anything immediately in mind because your taste in features is similar to mine, which is why I like your mod so much in the first place.  I post in the thread the ideas I have anyway, and I trust that you might implement the good ones and ignore the bad ones.  But if I have a free pass to get something I will ask my wife what she wants in :D

I tried the Bonfires to trigger a coal "fire-pit," but the Fire reactions are don't work, they're red, even though there's wood on hand.  I wonder if it's a Generic wood issue?  EDIT:  .... wife has built bonfires in the same version, MW1.2, so i don't know what was going on for me, but it's not a general bug

*Granite, 109*

Finally, Reclaimed the upper caverns from the swarms of Ant-men.  Hit them with a wave of throwing-hammers and grizzly bears, and followed up with a charge from the melee squad, newly equipped with artifact & adamantine weapons and patternweld wolfram kite shields.  The veterans of the great Goblin & Naga wars backed up by two new Spear Legendaries trained at the Megabeast Labs.  Much vengeance was enacted, no casualties on our side.

Getting too low FPS to carry on (~25).  See yall in MW1.4!!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:56:39 am by smakemupagus »

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2012, 12:13:48 am »

I've been playing this on and off, just haven't posted anything. Just had wisdom teeth removed so I'm a little out of it.

I started a 1.2 fort, then restarted on 1.3 when that came out. I've only managed to make it 5 years in so far before giving up on my fort (didn't like it... built it wrong ;)), but the main goal here appears to be feedback, so I have some general comments. The earlier comments will relate to 1.2, and the later ones 1.3... sorry I don't know which are which.

Hopped up on pain meds right now, so make of the following as you will:
  • Plants, e.g. plump helmet/pig tail, appearing twice in stockpiles menu. Only one of them works for stocking plants though.
  • Turrets showing up with migrant waves. My first migrant wave had a slade turret which seems a bit silly. Not sure if it would work, but perhaps change turrets so there is a base turret (e.g. dummy turret) which could be upgraded in a turret workshop via an expensive imported item? Not sure how feasible this would be.
  • Bricks being created as rocks, and then getting carved into blocks, which then get made into bricks again...
  • Brick reactions listed as (5) yet only producing 4.
  • Elves bringing metal arrows struck me as odd (e.g. steel arrows).
  • Stonecutter workshop has annoying profession requirements. e.g. rock spike requires mechanics. This makes setting up workshop profiles a bit more awkward.
  • Might be nice to add some [AUTO] reactions (e.g. for burning vermin) so they can get auto-queued like looming.
  • Can make slade crutches, but not standard rock?
  • Blast furnance didn't strike me as all that useful due to  the limited number of reactions it can do.
  • Can cut some weird stone types like bricks.
  • Brimstone is very annoying as it's hard to stop masons using it. It's also yellow. I hate yellow tables.
  • My first embark started with a phoenix on the map. Very, very brief embark. Very pretty fire though.
  • Processor priority in the configuration tool cycles the wrong way for me... I want to click and make it realtime, not the other direction.
  • Gaia map gens nice and fast, but desert one takes forever.
  • Hard to find flat biome borders in gaia map.
  • Miners with lung damage suck. Considered a way to heal them? Medical booth which takes rare stuff and heals dwarves maybe?
  • Couldn't get golems to work (under 1.3?). I'd create a cast (e.g. bronze or steel) and then send a dwarf in to do the golem making job... and nothing would happen. I'd get a yellow flash as the syndrome cloud expanded, but no golem that I could see. Maybe I'm missing something... it's not very well explained.
  • Vampires keep cluttering my temple with amulets after being sacrificed. ;)
  • Newbie embark could use some tweaking. 4 nest boxes with only 2 birds is a bit silly. Also best to mix male/female animals more - kitty explosion easier to deal with than 2 dead male cats. Pretty sure the embark comes with 2 hens and no rooster, and 2 male cats. I'd also drop some of the points from some of the skills e.g. masonry as more supplies might be more useful for a new player.
  • Timberyard takes way too long to build because it becomes cluttered while building. Also not sure why you need so much wood to make a timberyard.
  • A tech tree would be nice, or even just a list of what each building does. It's hard to figure out initially. A guide to early buildings to build would also be cool.
  • Keep getting warlock ambushes early on, and they're kinda hellish. They'll completely obliterate a trade caravan before it gets anywhere near my fort.
  • Maps seem a little too deep. I like some space to plan a fort, but don't need 30z levels of rock before the caverns. Not sure if this was just bad luck or not.
  • It's hard figuring out the relative worth of different things. Really need a chart somewhere indicating which metals are good for what tasks. I'm assuming stuff like the heavy/dense steel is good for war hammers, but beyond that I'm at a loss.

The above is not a list of complaints - I'm finding the mod very cool in general :). Still figuring out how to play properly though. Haven't really messed with much of the 'advanced' stuff... having enough difficulty just keeping my forts defended against trap avoiding stuff.

Some other stuff I've tried:
  • Timberyard - got the 1.3 tree farming stuff working. Seems to work well, though if you don't have many initial seeds takes ages to get off the ground (which is good). Not clear what the different wood operations do though (like bark removal). Some more guidance as to what each option does would be neat (e.g. "Remove bark (for seeds)" or whatever it actually does)
  • Praying for metals - good for random useless migrants. Seems slow enough.
  • Praying for help - excellent for vampires.
  • Stonecutter - awesome for lots of stuff
  • Stone grinder - found I didn't actually have spare stone for this thing - it all went into bins/barrels/beds/etc. at the stonecutter
  • Furniture workshop - not sure I used this at all except to dismantle some early wooden beds.
  • Golem workshop - built it, made some casts, couldn't seem to make golems though
  • Turrets - kinda cool :)
  • Landmines - didn't find a good way to use these.
  • Finishing forge - Works ok. Just takes a while. Maybe add an AUTO option?
  • Crematorium - Yay! Good source of ash for lye. Burning refuse burnt all the useful refuse I was keeping though :(.

Lots of stuff I haven't had a chance to mess around with yet.

My most recent MW fort is kinda stuck... I don't have a strong enough military to open the gates, and everything which shows up (migrants, caravans, etc) gets slaughtered. Going to restart with some sort of cheap as hell entrance death trap I think.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16