Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - V2 - 5 year Challenge  (Read 52410 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - 10 year Challenge
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 10:59:16 am »

Awesome post :) You use 1.2 for DF 31.25 ?

Nice to see that so many things do work well together. But I always thought that siege engines can only fire on the same Z-lvl ? The bolts need three bars, that has been done by quietust/today one. Same goes for metal furniture.

Netherwood bark can be made into armor, this is intentional. Fireproof leather anyone ? ;) I did not call it leather, the dwarves should run around in wooden/bark-armor, for flavor.

The economic/stonestocks screen thing is messed up because of all the patches Today added. Currently only stone is listed that is used in a reaction. I have to fiddle around a lot to sort this, since it changed 3 times since I made this mod (normal, quietust/narhiril patch/DF34.2) and everything is hardcoded and no one really knows what is what.

Magmahounds should be nerfed (did they burn down the map because of firebreath, or their temperature ? a major difference)

@all: Good luck. Your version should have some changes in comparison to smakemupagus-masterworkDF, less bugs as well ;) I managed to track down the harder smithing bug I had with 0.34.2 as well and fixed it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 12:19:31 pm »

Two years passed in game. Every year a dwarf trader shows up, and doesn't do anything, just stands at the edge of the map. The caravans come fine, although i can not trade with them, because i have nothing to trade. I usually trade high quality clothes, but this time i could not set up the industry properly. My miners died in the first year, damn those vaporstone things. The immigrants have too many useful skills, and i could not appoint new miners. So, i gave my picks to my military commander and the three sargeants, and ordered them to mine the rest of the fort. They were too slow to finish anything (not even the entrance corridor), and then found another pocket of vaporstone. My clothmakers died in their failed moods. They wanted metal bars, but mysteriously none of the galena smelted produced any bars.
Now i have a half mined fortress, no miners, no military, no defenses, no working industry (except food), and a sixty bored, naked dwarfs, sitting in an empty dining hall.

My point is, i need more useless (skilless) dwarfs.
So my question is, why are there dwarf traders on the edge of the map?
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2012, 12:24:24 pm »

I think there's a hardcoded bug in vanila DF which makes those traders migrate to your fort but they stay "friendly" instead of assimilating.
Welcome to the mad, mad world of RAW errors or duplication. Somewhere you have files which dont quite add up, and crazy shit happens(..) There are instances of this where you can adventure as a fly, or embark with wagonmeat, wearing shoes made of burning soap(..)

DF is so awesome that it doesnt just crash, it crates batshit crazy worlds where intelligent chairs farm dragons and make houses out of thier toenails.

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2012, 12:27:28 pm »

I believe the goblins will solve this problem for me then.
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 04:31:19 pm »

What you descripe as vaporstone would be unstable Warpstone ? the normal warpstone causes only sickness, the rarer, gem-warpstone kills. Sounds like a hard start for you, good luck. With 60 dwarves you are sure to attrackt attention of goblins and orcs though... and zombies...
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Llamainaspitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 04:44:28 pm »

How do you Exactly install this?

I can't figure out what to do with the file i downloaded.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2012, 04:51:39 pm »

It is a rar. Same as a .zip file, you just unpack it, with winrar or any other program that can use it, like 7-zip.

The mod itself is pre-installed, you just run DF.

A note to all: The challenge will run as long as it takes for 10 people to finish it, OR if I am done with mod version 1.3. Probably 2 weeks, dont promise anything though. I will include everyone who finished till then into the new 1.3 :) If interest exists, I will do another one then, for the new version.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2012, 04:53:31 pm »

Yes, I'm using MW1.2 for DF31.25.  Partly I was waiting for bug fixes in DF34; also I like to play the same version as my wife and she doesn't care to update every week :)

Indeed, siege engines only shoot on their level.  My map is really flat,  the galleon ballista is almost at the dead center of the map and covers the north, west and east.  I may have to decommission or replace it with a catapult, though, the camps it fires at don't threaten the front gate and I can't afford the bolts just to protect the logging operations on the far side of the river.  The new what I called "turrets" overlooking the front gate are actually ground level installations.

Good to know about the fireproof nether-cap material, maybe I'll make some equipment of that.

Yep, The magmahounds' fire comes from their fire attacks, not temperature. No fires when they are standing passive or using melee attacks.  They don't shoot up levels at the crossbow platforms thankfully, they do reliably get the fire started once they find a Hawk or Landmine to fire a few dozen flame attacks at.  1 or 2 magma hound can be taken out by a decently trained and equipped melee squad with shields not too much problem, although they take a long time to go down, and everyone wants a check up at sickbay afterwards even though they don't have much symptoms. 

The difficulty from Magma hounds is not only the fire, but also they are really tough and can't be critical-killed, they have to be battered into pieces.  Now that it's year 6 or so, the Naga sieges bring 12 of them   It would be cool if magma hounds could be obsidianized and could be countered with various water traps, but turns out they're unharmed even if they fall in the river. .. In my wife's game, the Tigermen have been bringing Plaguebearers and although the entire siege can pretty much be wiped out with a single wood bolt or serrated disc, the above-ground has been a death trap since year 2.  well, she has been dfhack-cleanmapping since the caravans were dying. 

A problem with both these guys being in sieges, not only do they kill their own masters, but to the extent that they pose any danger to the fort they're specifically deadly to melee.  Usually I'm happy to go out in a blaze of steel and disaster right about now..  after all Balin lasted only 6 years in Moria , right?  But if we're going to make it to year 10, looks like no choice but to bar the gates and fight from behind walls like a Human. 

on a tangent, i wonder if these new warbeasts have been responsible for eradicating the Humans in worldgen

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2012, 09:42:17 pm »

Posting to watch this
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2012, 02:24:01 am »

Spring Year 6 at *Staffrhymed*

So much for the plan to fight defensively.  In Fall 5 we had a *KOBOLD* ambush in force!  It was just so adorable, we had to go slaughter it, clearing the way for a huge caravan from the mountainhomes.  Five or six wagons, and many more pack animals as well.  Just as they were safely inside (and the dozen caravan guards out of sight) a Goblin ambush appears, a particularly nasty squad, Elite bowman and a pack of lashers.  At the last moment I canceled closing the bridge, to avoid smashing our own Elite crossbowdwarf, and sally out in force instead.  33 on our side and eventually, about 60 goblins & brook trolls emerged from hiding, with many friendly bears and evil beakwolves joining in.  Their master bowman crippled several of our number, although he was very quickly put down by a barrage from our own crossbows.  Unfortunately the crippled soldiers were hardly able to defend themselves and were overrun by lashers.  The tide turned with fresh reinforcements, and victory was in hand.  Not without cost, 8 lost in total including a tantruming recruit who received capital punishment for kicking a turkey.

We traded for some nice but nonessential stuff with the caravan, mostly exotic metals and ammo, and gifted them 20000db worth of electrum doodads.  Now matters turn to fortifing in earnest in expectation that the Naga come back in summer.  Switching out one of our melee squads to Throwing weapons; finishing the fortifications.   Just offered a Barony, by the end of year 6 there will be enough housing for all metal craftsmen and nobles in newly expanded living quarters, great hall, and royal palace appointed with electrum and gold, far in the deeps.  In the great hall are sculptures are of deities of wealth, mountains, and gems.  Most engravings there are of our logo, a steelhead trout.

Not too much Masterwork specific this year, although: the Library-trained professional class (doctors, psychiatrist, clerks) are doing a fine job.  Display cases are being deployed to show off some great artifacts and bolster happyness.  Although much of the forge-work consists of reprocessing looted gold and copper to blackbronze, we've struck enough native mithril over the past 6 years to equip our elite melee squad in mail and helms.  Oh, and bread, candy*, and biofuel production are in relatively good shape; not that any of them are really needed. 

*i.e., actual candy, from the sugar mill.  not a confusing euphemism for something else

Zon Osttun is the oldest daughter of the new baronness, born in 98 common era, about two years before the founding of the colony.  In other words, she's 7.  She's also a talented crossbowdwarf, having sniped two raptors in the great naga siege of 105.  They grow up so fast!!

(Felsite)

Shut the main gate behind the elven caravan, just in time to lock out a major goblin invasion and the first undead* we've seen.  Everyone is safe so far.  We'll shut down the tunnels across the river too, other than the trap passage, and let the master bowgoblins waste their arrows on target dummies on the wall.  While the topside is locked down a quick miner & mason expedition to the caverns will secure a supply of old growth fungitrees away from the antmen. .. *Masterwork zombies, not DF34 undead

(Hematite)

The target dummy got pummeled with arrows, knocked out of his pasture and ran back to the great hall.  OK.  Everyone report to firing positions.  The master goblin had exactly 1 arrow left, which he gutshot our master crossbow.   He'll live, but didn't fight in the battle.  Javelins and other thrown weapons did great cleaning up against goblins, but not the undead.  Sallied forth, which was fun, but maybe not a great idea.  3 or 4 more melee guys lost.  OK, *next* time we'll be careful!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:46:55 am by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2012, 12:37:36 pm »

Epic read, and another bugfind: Elven Warbeasts (which are designed to be super tough) are brought be other races in sieges. I dont even want to think about fighting Plaguebearers, they are designed to easily kill your fortress (and everything else) while being on your side...

Do you know more or less which race brought what ? I will go to the entity files then and get rid of them then.

Another note: I am making progress on v1.3 Golems now fight and dont flee (if the dwarf that was turned into a golem was in the military, they will even be considered a squad member and react to orders), rocktip/gemtip arrows are porperly named, stockpiled and used, AND, major fix, everything is stockpiled. Bone crafts, armor, leather quivers, backpacks... all the animal mats that were clogging up workshops are now working correctly :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 01:20:45 pm by Meph »

paul k.

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2012, 01:33:21 pm »

Hi ho :)

I think I will give it a try, though I didn't played 10 years fortress before.
What seems to be quiet odd for me, say, if we all talk about realism, we got plenty o' plants, clothing and stuff, why then we have no special instruments for workshops?
I mean carving and boning knives for craftsdorfs, any sharp weapon for butchery (as in Adv. mode), and so on?
It would be a great if in upcoming version of your fabulous mode this will come true.

Wait for my report!
Paul K.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2012, 03:12:28 pm »

I would love to add what you mentioned, but most things are hardcoded. I can do whatever I want with my own, new reactions, but I cant change the ones already included in the game.

Btw: The mod now has armored pets. Take armor, take dog, make: Armored Dog. :)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2012, 03:34:18 pm »

Ok so after several annoying RL interruptions, im gonna try to hammer out a 10 year fort before 1.3 comes out.

EDIT: alright so just to be an ass i embarked down the road from the mountain homes, literally about a 3 in-game hour walk in adv.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:58:38 pm by bombzero »

Llamainaspitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2012, 04:03:29 pm »

I do believe i just got bombed by a kobold Thief?

is that vanilla or This Game?

EDIT: Pictures of DA BOMB

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:14:17 pm by Llamainaspitfire »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16