Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 354 355 [356] 357 358 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879214 times)

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5325 on: October 02, 2013, 12:08:54 pm »

No red lines. I use modest mod and I had humans show up before (LNP r35 now I use 38 but I think this shouldn't matter).

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5326 on: October 02, 2013, 08:14:47 pm »

How much have you been trading? You'd have to pretty much be living like a kobold to not hit the human trading requirements in four years, but otherwise you'll have to look through the raws to see if there's anything up. Have you had humans on other fortresses using the same objects file for worldgen?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Varelse

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5327 on: October 03, 2013, 01:32:58 am »

Hi all!
Question regarding magma: is there any way to know before embark if the map has a magma pipe or pool?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5328 on: October 03, 2013, 01:37:12 am »

Nope, though they are common enough that it is likely you will have at least one.

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5329 on: October 03, 2013, 05:05:01 am »

Hi all!
Question regarding magma: is there any way to know before embark if the map has a magma pipe or pool?
Yes you can.
In this post I have described a method of changing magma tubes into volcanoes.
The method is fairly limited and only works somewhat reproducible if certain conditions are met:
- you need a reference volcano
- tube and reference volcano need to be in the same biome
- some other factors I don't know right now

However the method for identifying the magmatube should still be valid I think (looking for a min_z and max_z of each -30000).
However applying this function to every tile on a screen is a rather lengthy process and you are probably faster if you copy the save folder and make a huge test embark in which you simply run "reveal" to look where the magmatubes are.

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5330 on: October 03, 2013, 05:34:28 am »

How much have you been trading? You'd have to pretty much be living like a kobold to not hit the human trading requirements in four years, but otherwise you'll have to look through the raws to see if there's anything up. Have you had humans on other fortresses using the same objects file for worldgen?
I've traded 13470 to the tree fondlers and 30998 to the mountainhome.
I've already got the countess and no humans showed up.
The raws are copied over from the Modest mod the only changes I made were adding some more dummy reactions to the dwarfen entity to save moody dwarfs and give the elf a guildrep position I copied from the humans. Oh and I made cartillage heal but this change I made only after worldgen in year 3 or so as my militia commander got his nosal cartillage teared and would die of infection if I hadn't (which is kind of funny as modest mod added healing to many tissues but obviously forgot cartilage ^^).
And I made all of those changes but the elven rep one with the r35 edition of LNP and there everything worked fine.

I've watched in legends and there used to be a human civ near the embark site that got wiped out.
However there is another human civ not tooo far away still rolling.
I mean if the first mentioned civ hadn't been destroyed 170 years ago I would have guessed that there are still five or ten guys hanging out which is enough to keep the civ alive but to few to initiate trading and as you only ever interact with the closest civ of one kind you'd be screwed in this case.

But this way I'm really clueless. I mean everybody showed up the elfses, the goblins, the necros and their undead only the humans don't bother. I mean I'm sitting on dozens of exceptional obsidian doors and thrones and tables here how do they expect me getting rid of all this stuff if I can't trade it for flux and platinum and such?

Varelse

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5331 on: October 03, 2013, 06:33:44 am »

Thanks. I'll try it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5332 on: October 03, 2013, 08:50:03 am »

Hi all!
Yes you can.
In this post I have described a method of changing magma tubes into volcanoes.
The method is fairly limited and only works somewhat reproducible if certain conditions are met:
- you need a reference volcano
- tube and reference volcano need to be in the same biome
- some other factors I don't know right now

However the method for identifying the magmatube should still be valid I think (looking for a min_z and max_z of each -30000).
However applying this function to every tile on a screen is a rather lengthy process and you are probably faster if you copy the save folder and make a huge test embark in which you simply run "reveal" to look where the magmatubes are.

Ah, didn't know about that method.  Also he said before embark, which is why I didn't mention the reveal trick, though I could have.

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5333 on: October 03, 2013, 10:11:16 am »

Yeah I just meant that checking every tile on the embark screen for a potential magma tube is quite a lengthy process you have to press [up] get to the edgy brackets ("[") and then have to enter the new number.
And all of this just to get the information weather there is a magma tube - you don't even know the height of the tube - it could very possibly only be 4 or 5 z-levels above the magma sea.
I think before you do THIS you are probably better of not knowing it pre embark and simply make the hugest possibly embark square and look for it with the reveal tool.
What I'm basically saying is - yeah it's possible to know pre-embark but it's so inefficient your probably better of doing it post-embark.

EDIT: Another question.
Stupid elfses attacked me but I need the wood their caravan supplies - its far more than the sparse vegetation I can harvest on my map.
Though they are still listed as (P) in the diplomacy screen - first question is this because our units didn't meet and none of mine or them were killed before the attack party left?
Second question is there any chance they will resume the trading at some point in the future or am I basically screwed and they won't bring me more wood?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 10:14:55 am by SeelenJägerTee »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5334 on: October 03, 2013, 10:47:41 am »

Actually, I have an idea, maybe use the prospect tool? Not sure how or if you can get it to show the magma pre-embark, but if you can, take a look at the z-level range of the magma, if it has a wide range, extending where the usual layers are, then there's a magma pipe. The top of the magma sea is pretty uniform, so you should be able to spot a magma pipe that way. Small ones only a few z layers above the magma sea would be harder to spot.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5335 on: October 03, 2013, 01:16:00 pm »

EDIT: Another question.
Stupid elfses attacked me

Not saying you shouldn't post here, but maybe ask in the modding forum, too? As i understand it, your elves have diplomats and/or other nonstandard positions modded in, so it's possible your problem isn't program screwiness but rather modding gone haywire, and the modders might have better advice.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5336 on: October 03, 2013, 01:41:34 pm »

they'll send soldiers for a few years, at some point they might resume trading

I still have no clue on why the humans arn't showing for you
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5337 on: October 04, 2013, 09:34:31 pm »

Stupid elfses attacked me but I need the wood their caravan supplies - its far more than the sparse vegetation I can harvest on my map.

You could go for a huge underground tree farm instead, if wood is really the only reason you want them.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5338 on: October 04, 2013, 09:50:46 pm »

I know volcano pipes are not under pressure, but is the magma in the magma pipes that come out of the magma sea under pressure? I'm trying to think of a way to pipe magma into the magma tank for the dwarven chessboard and I'm not used to working with magma in complex ways.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5339 on: October 04, 2013, 10:11:02 pm »

I know volcano pipes are not under pressure, but is the magma in the magma pipes that come out of the magma sea under pressure? I'm trying to think of a way to pipe magma into the magma tank for the dwarven chessboard and I'm not used to working with magma in complex ways.

Not too sure of this myself, and the wiki doesn't specify, so I assume it wouldn't matter if it is from the sea or from a volcano.

Though it wouldn't hurt to play it safe, and try to neutralize the pressure anyways.
Pages: 1 ... 354 355 [356] 357 358 ... 422