Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879209 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5295 on: September 25, 2013, 05:20:36 pm »

Hey folks!

What does the (D) following a dorf's job title in the [ u ]nit screen mean? I've searched the wiki and google for an answer, but "(D)," as a search term, seems to yield a million useless pages.

Thanks.

Are you looking in the health screen in the z menu? Because that means a diagnosis request, otherwise I haven't seen that in the units screen.

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: September 25, 2013, 06:16:26 pm »

Hey folks!

What does the (D) following a dorf's job title in the [ u ]nit screen mean? I've searched the wiki and google for an answer, but "(D)," as a search term, seems to yield a million useless pages.

Thanks.

Are you looking in the health screen in the z menu? Because that means a diagnosis request, otherwise I haven't seen that in the units screen.

Here's a picture to clarify. You'll notice the (D) to the right of the Lumberjack. This is from the u menu.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: September 25, 2013, 07:38:05 pm »

What tileset are you using, or maybe using a mod? I've never seen that before with the (D).

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: September 25, 2013, 08:25:36 pm »

What tileset are you using, or maybe using a mod? I've never seen that before with the (D).

Ah, good question. I believe I'm using Pheobus.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: September 25, 2013, 10:47:34 pm »

Neither "lumberjack" nor "smelter" are vanilla profession titles. Something's modifying both of those. Therapist?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5300 on: September 25, 2013, 11:42:10 pm »

Lumberjack is probably Masterwork.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: September 26, 2013, 12:25:05 am »

Both titles were created with the help of Therapist yes. I wonder if that's the cause? I'll have to check to see if all the other custom professions have the same marking...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: September 26, 2013, 03:05:34 am »

I use custom professions and titles through DT and I don't see the (D) thing. Does that symbol come and go or does it stay on there for a long time?

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: September 26, 2013, 02:59:20 pm »

Is the size of dwarfs increasing when they are training? If so is the effect relevant or negligible.
My current soldiers are all maxed out so i can't test it.
Basically a wimpy dwarf that wields a weapon two-handed ... will he be able to wield it one-handed once he gets stronger or doesn't strength affect the size-value of the dwarf?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: September 26, 2013, 03:11:43 pm »

I don't think so.  I believe the size of a creature is mostly, if not wholly, determined by its height and broadness affecting the base size.  Training can affect tissue thicknesses for muscle and fat, but I don't think those affect the total size at all.  If it does, the effect should be pretty minimal.

Furthermore, this probably interacts badly with the growth bug you may have seen mentioned elsewhere.  Only 10% of creatures will get their correct size calculated when they grow up.  It's possible that the game only recalculates tissue thicknesses, size and mass changes in that buggy step, and if so, only about 10% of your soldiers would be affected anyway.  There's a DFHack patch for this if you use DFHack.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: September 26, 2013, 03:20:40 pm »

The calculations fail due to entirely time-related concerns, so I imagine that the body size calculation bug applies only to body size, given that body size increases are entirely time-based.

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: September 26, 2013, 05:20:17 pm »

I use custom professions and titles through DT and I don't see the (D) thing. Does that symbol come and go or does it stay on there for a long time?

I don't know! This was the first time I was aware of it myself, but given how unperceptive I can be at times, that's not proof of whether or not this is a new phenomenon. I also don't know if they phase in and out. I'll check the next time I load DF up, but I don't know when I'll be able.

Thanks, everyone, for the replies!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: September 26, 2013, 11:29:11 pm »

The calculations fail due to entirely time-related concerns, so I imagine that the body size calculation bug applies only to body size, given that body size increases are entirely time-based.

A good point.  If tissue thickness changes triggered a recalculation of body size then the bug in question would probably never manifest since many things affect muscle and fat.  I think that alone is probably enough evidence that training has no effect at all on body size.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: September 27, 2013, 05:35:19 pm »

Why aren't my dwarves butchering the Giant snails/louses/ticks/thrips I've caught with cage traps?

They've hauled them to an animal stockpile (no stockpile is set to give to the butcher, doesn't make sense and there's usually no need to do that with the butcher's workshop anyway), I've set the butcher order from status-animals, and while my dwarves are busy doing post-multisquad ambush cleanup at the moment, I do have butchery enabled on a dozen dwarves, many of whom were idling prior to the ambush.

They butcher domestics fine. The only difference I can think of is that the above giant bugs are still wild. However, I did try taming a giant snail earlier to see if that would work, but the dwarves refused to butcher it for a year or more after that, too. Also, built/unbuilt cages seem to be the same. And I can't really pasture them safely without taming them first.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 05:38:34 pm by Snaake »

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: September 27, 2013, 05:48:45 pm »

Why aren't my dwarves butchering the Giant snails/louses/ticks/thrips I've caught with cage traps?

They've hauled them to an animal stockpile (no stockpile is set to give to the butcher, doesn't make sense and there's usually no need to do that with the butcher's workshop anyway), I've set the butcher order from status-animals, and while my dwarves are busy doing post-multisquad ambush cleanup at the moment, I do have butchery enabled on a dozen dwarves, many of whom were idling prior to the ambush.

They butcher domestics fine. The only difference I can think of is that the above giant bugs are still wild. However, I did try taming a giant snail earlier to see if that would work, but the dwarves refused to butcher it for a year or more after that, too. Also, built/unbuilt cages seem to be the same. And I can't really pasture them safely without taming them first.

Those giant things are non-trainable exotic pets, so you probably can't do anything with them. You need to buy them from *yuck* elves if you want to do anything with their tame versions.

To buther them, you must kill them with your military or hunters.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 422