Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879051 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5355 on: October 07, 2013, 01:15:38 pm »

So, while you're already talking about magma pressure. I dont seem to understand it. To me it still seems to exhibit pressure. (Luckily I was playing around with its behavior before trying my first volcano embark. This would have been a very short fortress otherwise.)
A volcano is, mechanically, a magma pipe that reaches the surface. An embark tile with a magma pipe will bubble up magma across its whole 48x48 area.

If you use DFHack's 'reveal' function to expose the whole magma sea and then use 'liquids' to set the magma level of the whole embark to 0, you'll see the magma coming from the Magma Flow at the map edges and from the Magma Flow in the 48x48 area comprising the embark tile containing the volcano's vent. If you have regular magma pools / magma pipes elsewhere in the embark, their embark tiles will bubble up magma too.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: October 07, 2013, 01:48:45 pm »

This will probably make my plans (beautiful magma streams on every level of the fortress for my dwarfs to look at (also: heating system) like in the dining room example) a lot harder. Channeling from the volcano top seemed to be the only safe way to get magma into these streams. Digging straight into the side of the volcano just seems so unsafe. (Well, let's just hope the "volunteer" miner can run fast enough.)
It's safe enough to tap into the side of the volcano if you use two levels. On the level you wish to tap, dig a tunnel that's 1 tile shy of the tile that would actually breach the volcano, then dig a channel leaving a ramp on the level below. Cover the channel with a retracting bridge, then render access to that bridge impossible (closed floodgates, forbidden door, wall it off, etc). So far, up to this point, no magma is flowing. But be sure your dwarves have access to that ramp below the drawbridge. Finally, designate the wall to be breached. The dwarves will head to the ramp you left and dig out the wall diagonally above them. The bridge will prevent any magma from coming into contact with the dwarves.

See http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Magma  and http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=110724.0

JeannieNitro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: October 07, 2013, 01:55:59 pm »

The magma will rise up to the place where you breached and made the entrance. From your story it is somewhere above the current picture. The 'no pressure' means that even if you dig into the side it won't try to flood everywhere up to the level of the volcano top. It will still try to fill everything up to the level of your inflow
Thanks, this explains it.

This will probably make my plans (beautiful magma streams on every level of the fortress for my dwarfs to look at (also: heating system) like in the dining room example) a lot harder. Channeling from the volcano top seemed to be the only safe way to get magma into these streams. Digging straight into the side of the volcano just seems so unsafe. (Well, let's just hope the "volunteer" miner can run fast enough.)
Well, this worked "well". Magma doesn't rise up anymore, but of course the poor miner immediately got killed by it.
Would it be in any way possible to get magma from the volcano across my fortress on another z-level than the top of the volcano?

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: October 07, 2013, 03:11:46 pm »

The magma will rise up to the place where you breached and made the entrance. From your story it is somewhere above the current picture. The 'no pressure' means that even if you dig into the side it won't try to flood everywhere up to the level of the volcano top. It will still try to fill everything up to the level of your inflow
Thanks, this explains it.

Well, this worked "well". Magma doesn't rise up anymore, but of course the poor miner immediately got killed by it.
Would it be in any way possible to get magma from the volcano across my fortress on another z-level than the top of the volcano?
There's plenty of ways. One fairly easy approach is to use some pumps to pressurize the magma (so you can get it a long distance fast) and then use the diagonal flow method to get rid of the pressure for those places where you want the magma to be exposed to the open. You can also look at the post I made earlier for how to tap into the side of the volcano without losing any dwarves (although the more direct method is quite useful for dealing with unruly nobles....)

JeannieNitro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: October 07, 2013, 03:22:09 pm »

It's safe enough to tap into the side of the volcano if you use two levels. On the level you wish to tap, dig a tunnel that's 1 tile shy of the tile that would actually breach the volcano, then dig a channel leaving a ramp on the level below. Cover the channel with a retracting bridge, then render access to that bridge impossible (closed floodgates, forbidden door, wall it off, etc). So far, up to this point, no magma is flowing. But be sure your dwarves have access to that ramp below the drawbridge. Finally, designate the wall to be breached. The dwarves will head to the ramp you left and dig out the wall diagonally above them. The bridge will prevent any magma from coming into contact with the dwarves.

See http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Magma  and http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=110724.0

Ha, didn't even see that. I really shouldn't leave my unfinished posts to later return and finish them. Thanks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: October 08, 2013, 04:03:45 pm »

How do I keep dwarves from using a well to get water for filling pond zones without forbidding the actual well or even forbidding the door to the room that the well is in? Because I don't want them to take from the wells for the prison water system in the cells....
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 04:05:46 pm by smjjames »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5361 on: October 08, 2013, 04:57:17 pm »

How do I keep dwarves from using a well to get water for filling pond zones without forbidding the actual well or even forbidding the door to the room that the well is in? Because I don't want them to take from the wells for the prison water system in the cells....

Have you set up any water source zones?

It may just be that they are going straight to the closest water source, which is most likely your well.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: October 09, 2013, 09:19:09 pm »

Make an aqueduct on the Z-level right above the top of the magma, and pump the magma into it.  You'll need 1 pump for each Z-level you want the magma to move upward.  You can let it fall down as far as you want.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: October 10, 2013, 03:28:52 am »

Have you set up any water source zones?

It may just be that they are going straight to the closest water source, which is most likely your well.

iirc, wells are automatically designated as water sources so yes, you'd need to close entrance to it, or use traffic designations to make other water more easily reachable
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5364 on: October 10, 2013, 12:09:27 pm »

Does reveal all cause the graphical FPS (the one in brackets) to go down? Because in my fort I had accidentially done revforget while the map was revealed. I'm asking because something is cratering the FPS in the brackets and the regular FPS is down a bit too, not sure why. Although I think I may have lots of puppies.

Edit: Meh, I've decided to abandon fort because bored along with the FPS issues. Although, I wonder what happens to any FBs that are in the embark area at the time of abandonment.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 12:24:50 pm by smjjames »

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: October 10, 2013, 01:01:50 pm »

Does reveal all cause the graphical FPS (the one in brackets) to go down? Because in my fort I had accidentially done revforget while the map was revealed. I'm asking because something is cratering the FPS in the brackets and the regular FPS is down a bit too, not sure why. Although I think I may have lots of puppies.

Edit: Meh, I've decided to abandon fort because bored along with the FPS issues. Although, I wonder what happens to any FBs that are in the embark area at the time of abandonment.
If in the future you do a revforget or exit the game while the map is revealed, you can do revflood to "mostly" recover. (I say mostly since if you've gained access to a cavern, revflood will expose all of the cavern. Frankly, I find reveal to be quite useful when digging near a source of water or magma in order to stop the "work stopped because damp stone detected" or the "warm stone detected" issues when you darn well know that it's safe (such as digging a tunnel directly underneath a river or digging out a room just above the magma sea. The pause spam you get when you do either of those two activities is just maddening. Unfortunately, when you have reveal turned on while you're digging, doing a "unreveal" afterwards will hid what you just dug out, 'revflood' will recover from that situation as well. But I really wish dfhack had a reveal option that would properly handle the caverns to at least keep 'em hidden.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: October 10, 2013, 01:06:16 pm »

Does it hit FPS though? I have a feeling it might hit graphical FPS and besides, there is lots of visual clutter when reveal is left on.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5367 on: October 10, 2013, 01:12:44 pm »

Even if they haven't been seen yet, any MBs, Titans, FB's, and any other invaders on the map will usually stick around. Upon abandon, everything from items to creatures will be scattered across the map starting from the surface down to the lowest accessible area, even if they had no previous access to the surface, such as invaders/items trapped in a walled off room. If the entrance was sealed off the insides of the fort will be completely barren, with exception to buildings, and everything will be on the surface.

Though I'm not sure how much of an FPS hit the reveal command causes.

Sometimes when I want to scout out an area, I open stonesense instead, and un-hide the tiles in it (press h), that way I don't have to worry about the visual clutter or having to unreveal.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: October 10, 2013, 01:20:53 pm »

when you need to dig out near water you can temporary disable the pauze-and-zoom on the warning. You still have to re-assign the area for digging though
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: October 10, 2013, 01:23:46 pm »

Well, I did open up HFS (the main wave of clowns already defeated), so I wasn't sure if the FPS hit was coming from there.

It'll be cool to have former fortress inhabitants and I was thinking of doing a redesign and was getting bored in the non-savage biome.

For the FBs, I was just wondering if they would show up at a later fort or something if they were in an abandoned fort.
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 422