Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879206 times)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5310 on: September 27, 2013, 05:55:24 pm »

Well, my dwarves actually know "a few facts" about giant snails due to retraining that one over and over. And they just butchered a +trained+ giant thrips from a built cage, too.

The downside about butchering with military is that at least giant thrips and giant mosquitoes can fly, plus it's tedious and requires even more micromanagement, plus the corpses can rot uselessly.

edit: well damn, tamed AND in built cage seems to be working. Could've sworn I tried that earlier already.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 06:05:02 pm by Snaake »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5311 on: September 27, 2013, 07:24:58 pm »

The downside about butchering with military is that at least giant thrips and giant mosquitoes can fly
Not if they're in a room only one level high...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5312 on: September 28, 2013, 01:58:25 pm »

Question on weapon traps since it isn't on the wiki. Will weapons other than the serrated blade and the giant spiked ball have a chance for multiple attacks or is it just those two that have that ability?

I'm guessing no, although I heard that crossbows can also attack multiple times per trap trigger?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5313 on: September 28, 2013, 02:03:34 pm »

Question on weapon traps since it isn't on the wiki. Will weapons other than the serrated blade and the giant spiked ball have a chance for multiple attacks or is it just those two that have that ability?

I'm guessing no, although I heard that crossbows can also attack multiple times per trap trigger?

I'm fairly certain it's just one attack for normal weapons. Not that it matters too much, since you can stuff up to ten weapons in a single trap.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5314 on: September 28, 2013, 10:02:22 pm »

Can demons destroy artifact grates?
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5315 on: September 28, 2013, 10:13:19 pm »

How do I get a Pickaxe moved? I have 1 unequipped pickaxe and created a stockpile with the Weapon > Picks and the Finished Goods > Tools enabled (and turned those off on all other piles) yet it sits there on the ground (where I deleted the original stockpile) and they won't move it.  So what's going on here?  Am I designating things incorrectly?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5316 on: September 29, 2013, 01:14:44 am »

How do I get a Pickaxe moved? I have 1 unequipped pickaxe and created a stockpile with the Weapon > Picks and the Finished Goods > Tools enabled (and turned those off on all other piles) yet it sits there on the ground (where I deleted the original stockpile) and they won't move it.  So what's going on here?  Am I designating things incorrectly?

Have you checked to be sure it is not set for dump or forbidden?

If it is set to dump, do you have a garbage pit set up?

If you have a garbage pit set up and the item is set to dump, do your dwarf have the setting set to allow them to go outdoors if the pick is outdoors?

Check your burrows if you have any burrows set.

If the pick came to be laying on the ground due to the death of the one carrying it, it is very likely to be forbidden.

If the pick came to be laying on the ground because the miner that owned it no longer has arms, but is still designated by you as a miner, it's still assigned to that dwarf.  That dwarf is probably in a hosiptal bed right now dreaming up ways on how to wield a mining pick with their beard.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5317 on: September 29, 2013, 01:50:22 am »

Thanks, no my problem is that I don't know where to specify that a stockpile can hold a pickaxe.  Is it only the Weapons > Pick or can it also be Finished Goods > Tools?  It was lying there because someone put it in the wrong stockpile and I deleted the entire stockpile to make sure it wouldn't stay there, yet there it sat.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5318 on: September 29, 2013, 02:00:06 am »

It would go in the weapons stockpile and its likely someone happened to drop it there rather than stored it there.

Check to see if it isn't forbidden or marked to be dumped.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5319 on: September 29, 2013, 03:22:14 am »

Can demons destroy artifact grates?
no

Note that floor grates can't be destroyed from beneath in any case as long as there isn't an alternative open route to the top of the grate
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5320 on: September 29, 2013, 05:56:19 am »

This is the first time I decided not to use "take one of every cheap meat & milk" trick to provide lots of barrels from the start. And it seems that my dwarfs ignore stone pots I'm making, when it comes to storing big stacks of meat (from butchering large animals). I have two stacks laying there for months, even though I have plenty of empty pots.

edit: no, it's okay, just took a lot of time for some reason.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 06:52:31 am by moondowner »

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: September 29, 2013, 11:17:01 am »

did I see someone claim that storing items is a most-recent-first affair?  I fall behind on pots and end up with miasma in the assorted food workshops.
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5322 on: September 29, 2013, 11:22:33 pm »

did I see someone claim that storing items is a most-recent-first affair?  I fall behind on pots and end up with miasma in the assorted food workshops.

Put food in stockpiles without barrels or pots. It will not rot.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5323 on: October 02, 2013, 11:14:05 am »

Öhm in the embark screen humans are displayed at second position. However it's now year 4 and no human caravan has showed up.
The elfses already showed up despite being only on 4th position.
Will humans still show up and when not why are they displayed at the embark screen?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5324 on: October 02, 2013, 11:41:14 am »

in theory it means they should show up. Any chance there was a red line behind them and you are at war with them? Or perhaps it's because of a mod, so are you using any mods?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 422