Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879259 times)

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5280 on: September 24, 2013, 03:38:44 pm »

Jepp my militia captain was indeed miner.
Hope this fixes it.

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: September 24, 2013, 03:49:06 pm »

Another question.
My soldiers keep shedding their armour all the time they switch from training to party-mode.
When I'm in the schedule screen. There is this message that tells me. [u: Inactive = Uniformed]
So basically what does this mean? Is it saying that they are right now uniformed when inactive or does it say I should press u to switch to this state?
And I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong because neither setting seems to affect their behaviour. They simply refuse to wear their armour properly.

it should work. Are some or all of them also hunters, woodcutters or miners? That is known to cause issues

Are there any known work-arounds, binary patches, mods or hacks that temporarily get around this problem in the case where you WANT a squad to be miners and remain so before and after squad activation?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: September 25, 2013, 01:02:06 am »

no
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: September 25, 2013, 11:11:33 am »

In the last version some dwarfs would wield some two-handed weapons one-handed and some would wield one-handed weapons with both hands, depending on the dwarfs size.
In this version DwarfTherapist shows all dwarfs are listed as having a size of 60000.

Are all dwarfs the same size in this version or does DT not get the right value?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: September 25, 2013, 11:26:52 am »

I'm betting on the last, since recently a bug was discovered that messed up the growth of anything. If it was showing that size before that got fixed (sort of fixed) in the latest LNP, it was displaying sizes wrong. If it displays children to be that size, it is also wrong (most likely, in general, for the nitpickers amongst us)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: September 25, 2013, 01:06:54 pm »

I was under the impression that food in indoor/underground food stockpiles didn't rot, & yet all my eggs (ok, only 4, but reasons) did so.

Would this most likely be because:
  • The stockpile in question was a food stockpile with all food items blocked?
  • I had forbidden the eggs from the stocks screen (so that when I get my nest boxes up my dwarfs don't prevent brooding/hatching)?
  • The fact that this tile was also my quantum garbage dump (well, I had to get them out of those barrels somehow didn't I)?
  • Something I haven't considered (or at least mentioned)?
  • Some combination of the above?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: September 25, 2013, 01:20:08 pm »

I was under the impression that food in indoor/underground food stockpiles didn't rot, & yet all my eggs (ok, only 4, but reasons) did so.

Would this most likely be because:
  • The stockpile in question was a food stockpile with all food items blocked?
  • I had forbidden the eggs from the stocks screen (so that when I get my nest boxes up my dwarfs don't prevent brooding/hatching)?
  • The fact that this tile was also my quantum garbage dump (well, I had to get them out of those barrels somehow didn't I)?
  • Something I haven't considered (or at least mentioned)?
  • Some combination of the above?

Did you enable refuse in the stockpile options? That causes rottable items to rot.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: September 25, 2013, 02:14:01 pm »

hold on.  I thought it was being in barrel or pot that kept it from rotting?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: September 25, 2013, 02:16:21 pm »

hold on.  I thought it was being in barrel or pot that kept it from rotting?
Possibly. Stockpiles do that too without barrels.

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: September 25, 2013, 02:25:40 pm »

My apologies, it turned out it was #4 "Something I haven't considered (or at least mentioned)?", specifically it appears I had removed the stockpile entirely at some point, & didn't notice 'cos there was still a pile of forbidden food items on it...  :-[

As for the Stockpiles & Pots/Barrels thing(s), AIUI, indoor stockpiles prevent rot, whilst containers both prevent flies appearing (to annoy your dwarves) & (I believe) other vermin from stealing food.

As an added bonus, my reading of the wiki suggests that Pots & Barrels allow you to store more items (as in, multiple stacks upto a certain quantity [30?] of items) on one tile without relying on Quantum Stockpiling), on the downside, I'm assuming that a dwarf eating from a container still claims the whole container & all it's contents until he's done, which is one reason I currently prefer QSPs for meals.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: September 25, 2013, 02:32:09 pm »

on the downside, I'm assuming that a dwarf eating from a container still claims the whole container & all it's contents until he's done, which is one reason I currently prefer QSPs for meals.

That's just for drinks, with food, they'll grab it out of the barrel.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: September 25, 2013, 02:32:43 pm »

Dwarves don't eat from containers from what I can tell, they only drink like that. They grab a piece of food and eat it, either on the spot or on a chair, so multiple dwarves can eat without claiming the whole barrel.

Hardly anyone is using barrels for food anyway. It's pointless and buggy.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: September 25, 2013, 03:03:47 pm »

Dwarves don't eat from containers from what I can tell, they only drink like that. They grab a piece of food and eat it, either on the spot or on a chair, so multiple dwarves can eat without claiming the whole barrel.

Hardly anyone is using barrels for food anyway. It's pointless and buggy.

Yeah, rock pots hold so much more.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: September 25, 2013, 03:18:52 pm »

In the last version some dwarfs would wield some two-handed weapons one-handed and some would wield one-handed weapons with both hands, depending on the dwarfs size.
In this version DwarfTherapist shows all dwarfs are listed as having a size of 60000.

Are all dwarfs the same size in this version or does DT not get the right value?
DT lists racial size only. The game handles 1H vs. 2H correctly, but uses only the racial size to determine whether or not a dwarf can wield a weapon at all. A dwarf will never be able to wield a pike, even if as an individual the dwarf has a size of 62500 or over.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: September 25, 2013, 04:24:47 pm »

Hey folks!

What does the (D) following a dorf's job title in the [ u ]nit screen mean? I've searched the wiki and google for an answer, but "(D)," as a search term, seems to yield a million useless pages.

Thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 422