Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879223 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5265 on: September 22, 2013, 02:20:41 pm »

Also, if you don't roof over the area inside the wall, Flyers will be able to get in (& roofing also eliminates the other problems mentioned above).

Thanks both.  Follow up question.  If I roof in my outside area then won't that change it to an inside area? Can I still a) grow surface crops, and b) avoid miasma with my butcher?

Additional question: My wood chopping complete stopped.  Checked my designation and I still had the area designated as Chop Trees.  However, something happened and there was no chopping (regrowth maybe?).  I redesignated and now I have chopping going on again.  Do I have to redesignate every year?

Any tile that is exposed to outside stays lit even if you floor it back over, so yes you can do surface crops and avoid miasma.

For the wood chopping, maybe they are trees that your woodcutter can't get to?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 02:22:20 pm by smjjames »

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: September 22, 2013, 02:31:41 pm »

Thanks all for so many quick answers, after revisiting this game countless times and watching endless videos over the past year, I have finally grokked it well enough to achieve playability.  Got a handful more questions:

Wood Furnace:  title is listed in red, no charcoal being made.  I've added the job, I have a Lvl2 Wood Burner with the job active, and have plenty of wood piled up (re-made the stockpile to make sure it wasn't assigned to any single workshop).  Is there any way to see what is holding this job up? Job list just shows Inactive.  My Smelter is also in red but I assume that's because there is no Charcoal.

Do you end up designating a bazillion masons in your fortress? It seems like my jobs for stone work are endless.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: September 22, 2013, 04:27:36 pm »

Yes, I tend to have a lot of masons, though many are part-timers for when I have a lot of construction to do

The wood burner and smelter: do you have any burrows painted? Burrows cause some workshops to mess up their menus, regardless of wether someone is assigned to the burrow, or if it's active in any way. If (all) the items needed for the job arn't inside the burrow, it shows red. Maybe the wood is outside of this burrow? Try setting the job through the manager in any case, sometimes that helps or at least generates a cancelation message that might tell you more
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: September 22, 2013, 04:40:06 pm »

Hmm, nope no burrows yet.  Tried through the manager and same result, shows validated in Word Orders but just shows Inactive in the job list.

May have found my problem.  The Wood Furnace operator is also my Bookkeeper.  Unfortunately he is getting reasonably skilled but he's my only dwarf with the Wood / Furnace / Armor / Weapon skills so I'm going to have to demote him and see if it works.

I noticed that I can't set the profile for Wood Furnace lower than Dabbling so giving someone the job of Wood Furnace who has no existing skill won't let them work it correct?

--EDIT-- Yep, that did it.  Freed up my Bookkeeper and gave the Bookkeeping job to someone with no skills (in record keeping either sadly), and boom he went right to the wood furnace.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 05:04:37 pm by Oddible »

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: September 22, 2013, 05:14:22 pm »

Had some fisticuffs ensue and there seems to be some teeth and a finger left over from the mayhem.  How do I get my dwarves to pick up and haul this stuff out of here?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: September 22, 2013, 06:35:34 pm »

Had some fisticuffs ensue and there seems to be some teeth and a finger left over from the mayhem.  How do I get my dwarves to pick up and haul this stuff out of here?

Do you have a refuse stockpile set up?

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: September 22, 2013, 06:45:25 pm »

Do you have a refuse stockpile set up?

Yes, outside, a refuse pile with everything enabled including corpses and teeth and body parts.  No one will touch them and things are starting to go badly, everyone is complaining about miasma. (Started a new thread because this is starting to get a bit fun).

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: September 23, 2013, 08:13:33 am »

Hmm, nope no burrows yet.  Tried through the manager and same result, shows validated in Word Orders but just shows Inactive in the job list.

May have found my problem.  The Wood Furnace operator is also my Bookkeeper.  Unfortunately he is getting reasonably skilled but he's my only dwarf with the Wood / Furnace / Armor / Weapon skills so I'm going to have to demote him and see if it works.

I noticed that I can't set the profile for Wood Furnace lower than Dabbling so giving someone the job of Wood Furnace who has no existing skill won't let them work it correct?

--EDIT-- Yep, that did it.  Freed up my Bookkeeper and gave the Bookkeeping job to someone with no skills (in record keeping either sadly), and boom he went right to the wood furnace.

wood burning at least requires no skill other than to speed up the process, while bookkeeping at maximum accuracy is something only experienced bookkeepers do in less than a year (after that noone ever has to do it again. magic). It might have been easier to just give someone else the wood burning and/or smelting jobs
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: September 23, 2013, 08:33:14 am »

wood burning at least requires no skill other than to speed up the process, while bookkeeping at maximum accuracy is something only experienced bookkeepers do in less than a year (after that noone ever has to do it again. magic). It might have been easier to just give someone else the wood burning and/or smelting jobs
Thanks for reminding me of this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: September 23, 2013, 06:39:43 pm »

For the wood chopping, maybe they are trees that your woodcutter can't get to?

Or the woodcutter was drinking, sleeping, on break, attending a party, drinking, eating, picking up a new pair of trousers, drinking, etc.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5275 on: September 24, 2013, 02:08:31 pm »

Hmmm... I should know this, but apparently I've forgotten somewhere along the line.

How do I make sure I'm butchering or caging the specific animal (in this case, Tomcat) I want, when I have more than one & they're not pets?

'cos at the moment I have one in a cage, & one not, the one I want to kill is guarding my food stockpiles, once he's gone I plan to release the other tom, put the female in her own room (with a locked door) & hope that both of them being "Gigantic" & "Muscular" results in improved eugenics for my future cat-biscuit factory.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: September 24, 2013, 02:27:02 pm »

'cos at the moment I have one in a cage, & one not, the one I want to kill is guarding my food stockpiles, once he's gone I plan to release the other tom

In this case, what I would do is find the cat, press v to view it, and then mark it for slaughter from there.  I forget the exact sequence of keys... I think it's on the animal's "labors" screen, maybe.  But there's definitely a b in there too.  B for bslaughter of course.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: September 24, 2013, 02:30:49 pm »

greycat was faster, so this is redundant.
You could always pasture the two animals in question,
Then select the one you want to slaughter with (v). Then select (p). Now press (s) and it is marked for slaughter.
If this works when the animal is in the cage ... don't know and have no cage to test right now.

Another question.
My soldiers keep shedding their armour all the time they switch from training to party-mode.
When I'm in the schedule screen. There is this message that tells me. [u: Inactive = Uniformed]
So basically what does this mean? Is it saying that they are right now uniformed when inactive or does it say I should press u to switch to this state?
And I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong because neither setting seems to affect their behaviour. They simply refuse to wear their armour properly.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: September 24, 2013, 02:51:52 pm »

Brilliant! Thank you, Both!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: September 24, 2013, 03:32:11 pm »

Another question.
My soldiers keep shedding their armour all the time they switch from training to party-mode.
When I'm in the schedule screen. There is this message that tells me. [u: Inactive = Uniformed]
So basically what does this mean? Is it saying that they are right now uniformed when inactive or does it say I should press u to switch to this state?
And I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong because neither setting seems to affect their behaviour. They simply refuse to wear their armour properly.

it should work. Are some or all of them also hunters, woodcutters or miners? That is known to cause issues
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 422