Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879451 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4965 on: August 18, 2013, 06:20:20 pm »

I'm still trying to figure out what you want to do. move sand down for a glass industry? move farmable soil down? magma piston? Nah, not a piston, the soil wouldn't matter for that. And actually, it would be easier to move water down to irrogate some stones than to move the soil down, so scrap the farming too I guess, which leaves clay or glass.

In any case, I'd guess you need a full layer of soil, not just a sandy floor or something

edit:
can't really find it on the wiki
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:26:31 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: August 18, 2013, 06:29:58 pm »

I'm trying to move sand down for glass industry since the closest sand is 13 layers up, plus about 10 (give or take) tiles between the stairwell and the sandbag storage. I have a couple legendary glassmakers, so if I have several magma glass furnaces going, the sandbags can't really keep up. I've set a stockpile for bags right by the sand collection spot, but I want to decrease the turnaround time.

I'm trying to do glass blocks on repeat so that I can build the aboveground area (especially roof it off) and I want to have pretty quick production.

I'm just somewhat concerned about the bug where the soil will randomly change or change to the layer stone or somesuch.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:31:41 pm by smjjames »

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: August 18, 2013, 06:33:25 pm »

Use a minecart to mass move the sandbags, just don't bother with tracks.

Create a sand stockpile, and have the minecart's first stop load from it.  Have the route to guide every 28 days or so.  Set the second stop on a track stop dumping into a quantum sand bag storage.  Every 28 days, some poor schmuck will come by and haul a few hundred sand bags down to the glass furnaces.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: August 18, 2013, 06:37:44 pm »

I'll have to figure out how to do the impulse elevators and other stuff because there are 12 or 13 z levels between the two locations.

Also, the minecart stuff is completely new to me, haven't even messed around with it yet.

EDIT: Wait, I have an idea using the minecart stop method.

EDIT2: OR I can just make a stairwell closer to the stockpile?????

Edit3: I think I understand now, plus with some fiddling of stockpile links......

Edit4: I can set a workshop to take only from a certain stockpile, right? Or I can just take advantage of the fact that dwarves grab the nearest item of whatever they need.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 07:01:32 pm by smjjames »

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: August 18, 2013, 07:32:01 pm »

Yes.  SEt the stockpile to give to the workshop, and that workshop will only be able to take from stockpiles set to give to it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: August 18, 2013, 08:48:20 pm »

I was testing the production using a drop chute from the sand collection point when suddenly...

DAMMIT! XD

Any ideas on how to make this drop chute not so lethal? lol. It'd be nice if there was some kind of chute thing that would slow the item down and dump it to another tile.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 08:55:32 pm by smjjames »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: August 18, 2013, 09:07:01 pm »

Another idea for a drop chute:

Have a wall behind the drop chute, and slam the minecart into it hard enough to shotgun the contents all over the wall. The minecart and its contents will all fall down the chute. Once they reach the bottom, the bags can be shifted to quantum storage and the minecart will be carried back up to its loading point. A heavy minecart will slow down the dwarf carrying it, allowing extra time for all the sandbags to be moved away from the dropzone.

The tile the minecart drops onto should be a stockpile that will take minecarts. If you don't make a stockpile there and don't have any other stockpiles that accept minecarts, nothing will happen. If you don't make a stockpile there but have other stockpiles that accept minecarts, the minecart will be hauled there before being returned to the loading point.

Not sure if this would throw the sand out of the bags -- I've only ever done it with equipment.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: August 18, 2013, 09:34:46 pm »

I've decided to just make a stairway at that spot, since it goes through the furniture stockpile, that should help, and it's closer to the area that I want them to be at.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: August 19, 2013, 03:29:27 am »

Any ideas on how to make this drop chute not so lethal? lol. It'd be nice if there was some kind of chute thing that would slow the item down and dump it to another tile.

The best way I've found to make them drop in 'timely' manner is to put an hatch in the way of path to dumping cart and pressure plate to the stockpile/collection point hooked up to hatch. Hatch drops anyone that's mid-way through to the floor under where they can just go back to where they was and chill, with path cut from cart dumper ( don't have a ramp to the cart! ). Have the pressure plate and dump spot spaced enough that it can land before dwarves gets to under it.

There're probably more complex but less timing-sensitive solution, but that's simplest I can think of.

!!Fyre!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: August 21, 2013, 01:25:01 am »

Any ideas on how to make this drop chute not so lethal?
0.#===

0=wall
.=channelled hole with hatch cover linked to lever
#=fortification
== E-W track
Have the route set to push when full or at whetever time intervals you like. Start the track 2-3 zlvls up, going down a ramp to gain speed.
When the cart hits the fortifications it should throw the bags through, making them land on your hatch. You can then dump them down the chute whenever it's convienent by pulling the lever. Also you could make a 1x1 room at the bottom with a door so you can lock your dwarves out before dumping.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4975 on: August 21, 2013, 01:57:04 am »

Fyre, at that point a Track Stop set to dump would do the equivalent without overkilling the dwarven engineering. :)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: August 21, 2013, 02:58:16 am »

It's working well enough with the stairs and current setup with auto regulation from DFhacks workflow thing.

I also have workflow set up to maintain the brewing.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: August 21, 2013, 12:26:33 pm »

What's a good, quick to set up, archery range design for a full squad of 10 marksdwarves? Also, I've heard of some problems with archery training, how do I avoid those problems? Also, I'd like them to avoid training hammerdwarf skill, although I think one or two of the haulers that I drafted might have had hammerdwarf skill anyway.

Also, I want to make a channel in front of the targets so that I can recover as many bolts as possible.

I'm just not sure how set up a good one.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: August 21, 2013, 12:30:30 pm »

What's a good, quick to set up, archery range design for a full squad of 10 marksdwarves? Also, I've heard of some problems with archery training, how do I avoid those problems? Also, I'd like them to avoid training hammerdwarf skill, although I think one or two of the haulers that I drafted might have had hammerdwarf skill anyway.

Also, I want to make a channel in front of the targets so that I can recover as many bolts as possible.

I'm just not sure how set up a good one.

Channel in front of targets makes them stop working. You can channel the sides out, though.

I've not had any issue with making archery range, setting the direction on desgination and assigning a squad to train on it, myself. Well, outside of eating through bone bolts like no tomorrow. Not tried multiple ranges either, I found one was more than enough for a squad to each each other and rotate a bit with some live training.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: August 21, 2013, 12:33:13 pm »

Maybe if they can access it from the back? That would count as being walkable.

The wiki says that channeling out (or otherwise) in front of the target will recover bolts.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:38:05 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 422