Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879452 times)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4950 on: August 10, 2013, 09:28:03 am »

okay ... possible ... I just keep getting mule foals ... and I don't trade for them

From immigrants, you mean?

I guess that would be the answer ... I guess I assumed immigrants only brought pets ... since animal pets I would normally butcher really annoy me ... tho I did have a pet duck jump to the wrong side of a wall under construction at the last minute ... I let him be washed down the chute and 'turn up' missing a week later :)

Migrants does comes with loose animals sometimes. I'm not really sure why. They're usually baby animals and pretty random but I mostly get horses, myself.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: August 10, 2013, 09:32:40 am »

I instantly butcher those. Free meat bones and leather.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: August 10, 2013, 09:51:34 am »

same here, but yes, migrants can also show up with domesticated animals that are not pets
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: August 17, 2013, 05:24:36 am »

Are there limits for how many cats can adopt one dwarf? My expedition leader seems to be very popular among felinae.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 05:27:13 am by moondowner »

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: August 17, 2013, 06:11:15 am »

Are there limits for how many cats can adopt one dwarf? My expedition leader seems to be very popular among felinae.

How many cat do you have, would be the answer. I don't think there're a hard limit to how many pet any one dwarves can adopt.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: August 17, 2013, 06:31:38 am »

well, animal populations on the map are limited to +- 50, after which existing pregnancies get carried to term but no new ones will occur, so the limit would be, assuming 25 females with 2 kittens each, 100 cats adopting one owner, or something close to that
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: August 17, 2013, 06:54:04 am »

well, animal populations on the map are limited to +- 50, after which existing pregnancies get carried to term but no new ones will occur, so the limit would be, assuming 25 females with 2 kittens each, 100 cats adopting one owner, or something close to that

Don't forget being able to order and import cats, too! It might not add much, but trader'll bring them in even with local capped out, so add a couple dozen at least.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: August 17, 2013, 03:07:14 pm »

4 male and 4 female each year, more if you have the human guild representative modded back in. Feline nightmare

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: August 18, 2013, 10:55:04 am »

How do I get dwarves to store large gems? Previously when I had large gems, I simply left them at the depot, but I haven't been paying attention to where they were at, so I get this jeweller mood, I look at the shop to see what they got and apparently the large gem that I have is sitting in the workshop.

tl:dr How do I get dwarves to store large gems since they apparently aren't.

Edit: They're also not storing a stack of giant moth meat in a barrel/pot for some reason even though I have plenty of both. Everything else got stored and I have TONS of food and drink, so I'm not worried about it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 11:37:25 am by smjjames »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: August 18, 2013, 11:52:04 am »

I know there was a long standing bug where large gems wouldn't get stockpiled.  I thought that was fixed in a minor version of .34.x, but maybe it wasn't.

Not sure about the barrel of giant moth meat.  It's possible the barrel is tasked by something else, and perhaps that got stuck.  Try forbidding / unforbidding it and see if that changes anything.  Your food stockpile is configured to accept barrels, right?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: August 18, 2013, 11:56:07 am »

I know there was a long standing bug where large gems wouldn't get stockpiled.  I thought that was fixed in a minor version of .34.x, but maybe it wasn't.

Not sure about the barrel of giant moth meat.  It's possible the barrel is tasked by something else, and perhaps that got stuck.  Try forbidding / unforbidding it and see if that changes anything.  Your food stockpile is configured to accept barrels, right?

Yeah, I have separate stockpiles for food and drink in the dining hall and both have the max possible barrels allowed. I'll see if forbidding/unforbidding it does anything, or I can try dumping.

Edit: Tried forbid/unforbid, didn't do anything, tried dumping and they simply put it back in the food stockpile and not in a barrel.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 12:01:10 pm by smjjames »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: August 18, 2013, 12:34:03 pm »

the stacks might be too big?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: August 18, 2013, 12:48:24 pm »

That's what I was thinking myself. It was only one stack of 50, so I don't know why they didn't put that in a barrel or something.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: August 18, 2013, 01:23:14 pm »

That's what I was thinking myself. It was only one stack of 50, so I don't know why they didn't put that in a barrel or something.

I think barrels might be limited to 25 or less. I know large pot accept a lot more. There're also them being partially full so there're not enough room to fit them in. I know large pots can fit stack of 30 at very least, I barely bothers to use barrels anymore.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: August 18, 2013, 05:55:43 pm »

I have a really crucial question, if I drop a chunk of unmined rock with a sand floor above it down some z levels, will the sand floor on top stay intact?

You guys can probably guess what I'm planning on doing, heh.

Edit: Although..... I've heard that dropping down soil layers will change the soil into some other type.....

Edit2: Okay, I looked in the bug report stuff and that is still around, however, what about the floor?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:21:21 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 422