Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879450 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4935 on: August 06, 2013, 02:42:44 pm »

Actuallly, doesn't the DFwiki say you can't train them for hunting or war?

I guess they can be a source of cheap bone crafts to sell off to caravans since they have no material value. Or keep them until you have a pair of better animals than badgers.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: August 06, 2013, 03:05:16 pm »

mostly, the war/hunting training makes animals engage hostiles instead of running away. Badgers tend to get enraged from someone humming a merry tune or any tune or even less nearby, so they don't really need the training in that part. They do need the training for 'taming'. It's kind of confusing sometimes that taming produces a -trained- animal. Any offspring from a -trained- animal can be tamed to domesticated, the parents (mother, since it's often hard to figure out paternity) never
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: August 06, 2013, 03:16:34 pm »

Same for wolverines, they semi-spam the announcements with 'wolverine is no longer enraged' when they become enraged at whatever they see, even the carp in the river. Didn't have anything actually fight one in that embark yet though, which is a good thing as a wolverine would certainly rip apart a dog or an unarmored dwarf.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: August 06, 2013, 03:48:48 pm »

mostly, the war/hunting training makes animals engage hostiles instead of running away. Badgers tend to get enraged from someone humming a merry tune or any tune or even less nearby, so they don't really need the training in that part. They do need the training for 'taming'. It's kind of confusing sometimes that taming produces a -trained- animal. Any offspring from a -trained- animal can be tamed to domesticated, the parents (mother, since it's often hard to figure out paternity) never

the first litter had 2 males and 2 females so we ate mom & dad
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: August 06, 2013, 04:53:10 pm »

the first litter had 2 males and 2 females so we ate mom & dad

Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: August 06, 2013, 06:25:06 pm »

Well, humans didn't (don't) usually pay much attention to inbreeding in dogs, just to name an obvious example, and even found the genetic abberations interesting. The amount of heriditary defects found especially in purebred dogs is a definite hint. so I don't see why dwarfs should be any better. The game just doesn't show the effects yet, maybe in the future it will
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: August 07, 2013, 11:27:21 am »

I have assumed that the game makes mules sterile anyone actually tested that?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: August 07, 2013, 12:00:25 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Mule

Just male, there're no female caste so they're technically sterile since interspecie breeding don't exists currently.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: August 08, 2013, 09:39:48 am »

Just male, there're no female caste so they're technically sterile since interspecie breeding don't exists currently.

Welllllll ... except for the horses and donkeys that breed to get the mule .... I looked again at one before I butchered and it did not list a gender at all so that would have answered my question as well

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: August 08, 2013, 10:38:45 am »

nice theory, but if you try, you'll notice that the only mules you can get are from traders. It's impossible to crossbreed a donkey and a horse at your own fort to get mules

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: August 08, 2013, 10:48:39 am »

okay ... possible ... I just keep getting mule foals ... and I don't trade for them

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: August 08, 2013, 10:51:17 am »

nice theory, but if you try, you'll notice that the only mules you can get are from traders. It's impossible to crossbreed a donkey and a horse at your own fort to get mules

Hopefully one day it'll be implementable, I was disappointed back when I started playing 40d that I couldn't do such.

Welllllll ... except for the horses and donkeys that breed to get the mule .... I looked again at one before I butchered and it did not list a gender at all so that would have answered my question as well

Yeah, I did said interspecie breeding don't exists, so no horse and donkey crossbreeding, monogender/sterile domenstic animals are brought in by traders, somehow, even in children form. Migrants can bring in some, too :D

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: August 09, 2013, 08:33:11 am »

okay ... possible ... I just keep getting mule foals ... and I don't trade for them

From immigrants, you mean?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: August 09, 2013, 09:29:57 am »

Yeah, the mules just kind of...exist. They were generated like all animals and so are available.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: August 10, 2013, 09:22:26 am »

From immigrants, you mean?

I guess that would be the answer ... I guess I assumed immigrants only brought pets ... since animal pets I would normally butcher really annoy me ... tho I did have a pet duck jump to the wrong side of a wall under construction at the last minute ... I let him be washed down the chute and 'turn up' missing a week later :)
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 422