Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879428 times)

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4980 on: August 21, 2013, 01:19:40 pm »

I've not had any issue with making archery range, setting the direction on desgination and assigning a squad to train on it, myself. Well, outside of eating through bone bolts like no tomorrow. Not tried multiple ranges either, I found one was more than enough for a squad to each each other and rotate a bit with some live training.

wait wait wait .. I don't need an archery range for every target?  .... just for any group in which the fire direction is all the same?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: August 21, 2013, 01:43:47 pm »

I've not had any issue with making archery range, setting the direction on desgination and assigning a squad to train on it, myself. Well, outside of eating through bone bolts like no tomorrow. Not tried multiple ranges either, I found one was more than enough for a squad to each each other and rotate a bit with some live training.

wait wait wait .. I don't need an archery range for every target?  .... just for any group in which the fire direction is all the same?

You'll need to set one up for each of them if you use multiple of them, one can't serve multiple :D

I was just speaking of personal experience, they takes turn training one at a time at the archery range and teach each other how to shoot. Those that lucks out of training gets to practice live firing when it happens. If you need really fast training, then multiple archery range up and assign enough to keep half the squad busy constantly, more is a bit of an overkill with how dwarves takes turns.

It's still gonna chew through bolts, I had hard time keeping up with overabundance of bone.

Maybe if they can access it from the back? That would count as being walkable.

The wiki says that channeling out (or otherwise) in front of the target will recover bolts.

Maybe, I've never bothered to try it that way. All of my archery targets are against walls, so I can at least verify that channeling their sides out helps bolt recovery and channeling front of them stops training. It's not really worth the effort and I suspect that it's line of shooting, rather than walkability, but you can test it out :D

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: August 21, 2013, 02:19:54 pm »

You'll need to set one up for each of them if you use multiple of them, one can't serve multiple :D

I was just speaking of personal experience, they takes turn training one at a time at the archery range and teach each other how to shoot. Those that lucks out of training gets to practice live firing when it happens. If you need really fast training, then multiple archery range up and assign enough to keep half the squad busy constantly, more is a bit of an overkill with how dwarves takes turns.

It's still gonna chew through bolts, I had hard time keeping up with overabundance of bone.

Maybe if they can access it from the back? That would count as being walkable.

The wiki says that channeling out (or otherwise) in front of the target will recover bolts.

Maybe, I've never bothered to try it that way. All of my archery targets are against walls, so I can at least verify that channeling their sides out helps bolt recovery and channeling front of them stops training. It's not really worth the effort and I suspect that it's line of shooting, rather than walkability, but you can test it out :D

How do I set it up for each marksdwarf? I can't seem to figure that out. I can only set it for the squad.

I did set it up as a room and put an armor stand in it because otherwise they won't train because you need the barracks designation in there. Right now, they have various armor demonstration, dodging demonstration and crossbow demonstration, but I want them to train at the archery. Although they are composed of dwarves with previous marksdwarf experience.

Edit: I think I may have run into this problem initially:
If a squad is set to use two different materials of a certain kind of ammunition one for practicing, and one for combat, (an example of this would be metal bolts for combat and bone/wooden bolts for practicing.) Oftentimes the most expensive kind will be grabbed and stored inside a quiver, the dwarf then being unable to practice with the ammunition will be stuck on "Archery practice" and stand around doing nothing. Workarounds for this include only assigning one type of bolts at a time when in combat or training mode. Only assigning bone/wooden bolt and nothing else, or assign metal bolts and nothing else. Bug:4530
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 02:24:50 pm by smjjames »

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: August 21, 2013, 02:39:40 pm »

How do I set it up for each marksdwarf? I can't seem to figure that out. I can only set it for the squad.

I did set it up as a room and put an armor stand in it because otherwise they won't train because you need the barracks designation in there. Right now, they have various armor demonstration, dodging demonstration and crossbow demonstration, but I want them to train at the archery. Although they are composed of dwarves with previous marksdwarf experience.

Edit: I think I may have run into this problem initially:
If a squad is set to use two different materials of a certain kind of ammunition one for practicing, and one for combat, (an example of this would be metal bolts for combat and bone/wooden bolts for practicing.) Oftentimes the most expensive kind will be grabbed and stored inside a quiver, the dwarf then being unable to practice with the ammunition will be stuck on "Archery practice" and stand around doing nothing. Workarounds for this include only assigning one type of bolts at a time when in combat or training mode. Only assigning bone/wooden bolt and nothing else, or assign metal bolts and nothing else. Bug:4530

Ah, I meant that one archery range can't be set up so that multiple targets be used at once. Only one dwarf will train at one archery target designation at any one time, if they're a member of squad set to train there. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that, I read the question as asking if one designation would cover multiple targets. I uses armor stands to move squads around through assigning them to training for control over where they sits around, so I might've missed a barrack being needed.

Not surprised the bugs between combat and training ammo types is still occuring. That's why I only uses bone bolts until my military's big enough that I can rotate whole squads between training  and guarding and have each squad set to use certain material for both combat and training.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: August 21, 2013, 03:05:59 pm »

bone bolts are sufficiently deadly that I only switch to any bolt all around when I have thousands of all kind of bolts

my targets are set up as a channeled out u with the target in the middle, occasionally with another tile channeled in the 'lengths'(a U). It means any bolt that misses the target hits a wall and falls down, any that fly wide to any one side will hit a wall or otherwise land, and even those that land short have a fair chance of being recovered. Turn the U 90 degrees (or more) to suit your firing direction, ofcourse
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4985 on: August 21, 2013, 03:18:06 pm »

Some of them had metal bolts in their quivers apparently, After a bit of a mess where I accidentially removed the uniform of the other squad, I simplified the marksdwarf squad uniform to just leather armor and crossbow while training. Looks like they're using the targets now.

Edit: DAMMIT! I channeled out the sides and broke the training again. Maybe I just need to redesignate. Not working, they have the go to archery practice, but they are just standing around doing nothing.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:27:22 pm by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4986 on: August 21, 2013, 04:23:24 pm »

Still having some problems getting them to do archery practice instead of spar or something, also, lol, when I made them inactive, some of them went and started doing archery practice.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4987 on: August 21, 2013, 04:30:47 pm »

Still having some problems getting them to do archery practice instead of spar or something, also, lol, when I made them inactive, some of them went and started doing archery practice.

I'll note here that this seem to be a frequently reported problem, it's one I've never personally experienced. No idea why, pretty much all I do is assign crossbow and shield at most basic for uniform, tell squad to train at designated target and complain about them chewing through bolts. And they're all active, once I activates an military squad, they never goes inactive outside of major equipment changes, if I can help it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4988 on: August 21, 2013, 04:36:12 pm »

Well, I broke it even further and now they are just at soldier (no activity) and one of them is practicing archery.

One of them is at the archery thing but isn't even firing anything :P dangit :P I keep tweaking the setup trying to make it work but I only succeed in making it not work.

Going to try to set it up so that the room designations don't overlap.

Okay, got it set up in a way that works.

If I use an armor stand or weapons rack to make the area into a barracks, they just go into combat training rather than archery practice.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 04:59:33 pm by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: August 21, 2013, 05:05:41 pm »

ARG! No, marksdwarves, don't do dodging and wrestling demonstrations, unless those are unavoidable........

I don't know why I seem to be having problems with it or maybe I don't fully understand how marksdwarf training works.

And another dwarf is stuck on archery practice, right on top of the target even. I was messing around with things like using beds to make barracks to make it work right but now it just seems to just not work.....

Edit: Is this set up correctly? They all have that same room designation shape. Also, the armor stand doesn't have a room designated because they keep doing wrestling. A bunch of them say 'go to archery practice' but they just stand there :P

Also, I'm setting up the bedrooms elsewhere.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 05:26:49 pm by smjjames »

!!Fyre!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: August 21, 2013, 05:28:39 pm »

Fyre, at that point a Track Stop set to dump would do the equivalent without overkilling the dwarven engineering. :)

It's not dwarven engineering without a suitable amount of overkill. ;D

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: August 21, 2013, 05:34:59 pm »

The second I put them on inactive, they go and start using the archery targets like they should. :P

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4992 on: August 21, 2013, 05:58:51 pm »

Is it normal for werebeasts to appear closer to the fort rather than at the map edge? this guy later transformed back into a human and dissapeared before reaching the actual edge. I think kobolds and snatchers MAY have been doing that as well, but no idea. Sieges, traders, animals, and migrants show at the edge as normal. I heard that kind of thing can happen with non square maps, but I'm very sure that this embark map is square. The fact that only one quadrant of the map is actually land may have something to do with it, no idea.

Edit: Getting some equipment mismatch spam from the marksdwarves after I made them inactive for some reason.......

Edit2: Theres this large gem laying out on the desert that I had forgotten about for a while and kobolds have yet to steal it, what the heck? DFhack slayrace says there are two kobolds on the map.....
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:10:27 pm by smjjames »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: August 21, 2013, 06:34:54 pm »

I wonder if everyone with the marksdwarf problems has them set up so small, it would explain things

if shooting direction was set with a it should work. If you're having problems with them doing nothing/getting stuck, make them inactive, they usually do some shooting while inactive (and idle, so no working)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 422