Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881270 times)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2505 on: July 06, 2012, 01:20:15 pm »

Note that beekeeping is currently mostly for flavor if you want to make mead, wax has little to no use except for crafts and there are some issues with the whole process

True, it is somewhat buggy and not working very well: beekeeping doesn't work well unless you have only 1 dwarf doing beekeeping and nothing else, honeycombs are tricky to set right for stockpiles, and so forth. And mead is lower value than any alcohol from underground crops. Note that while you do get announcements about bee stings, according to the wiki they don't actually cause a bad thought.

However, you could have dwarves with preference for mead, honey, or royal jelly, so there's always that to consider.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: July 06, 2012, 04:13:51 pm »

@DL, pretty sure its the nearest breathing dwarf or tame critter.  Or in the case of a building destroyer invader, the nearest building, in most cases for me, that's a beehive. 

Sometimes SIEGE AI will go stupid.  Like when their squad captain is caged, or they cannot all migrate onto the 4x4 region because of channels/cliffs.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: July 06, 2012, 06:57:49 pm »

Note that beekeeping is currently mostly for flavor if you want to make mead, wax has little to no use except for crafts and there are some issues with the whole process

True, it is somewhat buggy

Ba-dum tish!
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

OverLORDY

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: July 06, 2012, 07:46:31 pm »

Hello champs, do you know a way to make mason workshops only use certain  materials instead of randomly using materials.

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: July 06, 2012, 07:58:14 pm »

Few questions:

1. Is there a trick in this version to getting a baron? I've got several times the exported/imported wealth, and 190 dwarves. I am using Lazy Newb Pack with economy turned off (I guess it's disabled anyways though)

2. What exactly does the child cap mean? Does 10:100 mean they stop getting pregnant if there are more than 10 children for every 100 adults or something? I have upwards of 20 kids and 30 babies right now so I'm clearly doing it wrong.

3. What happens do the duke when the king arrives? Do you have a pamper a Duke and a King at the same time, or does the King replace the Duke?

4. Are champions real now? I've seen the noble position in previous versions, but it was always disabled or not implemented or something. I'm setting up my nobles area, and I'm wondering if I should make a room for him (I know I don't have to, but I invent all sorts of extra nobles for myself because I love pain.)

OverLORDY

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: July 06, 2012, 08:06:07 pm »

Also chaps, i am asking because i couldnt figure, where can i learn what my dwarf needs when he or she goes into a strange mood.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: July 06, 2012, 08:15:09 pm »

Few questions:

1. Is there a trick in this version to getting a baron? I've got several times the exported/imported wealth, and 190 dwarves. I am using Lazy Newb Pack with economy turned off (I guess it's disabled anyways though)

2. What exactly does the child cap mean? Does 10:100 mean they stop getting pregnant if there are more than 10 children for every 100 adults or something? I have upwards of 20 kids and 30 babies right now so I'm clearly doing it wrong.

3. What happens do the duke when the king arrives? Do you have a pamper a Duke and a King at the same time, or does the King replace the Duke?

4. Are champions real now? I've seen the noble position in previous versions, but it was always disabled or not implemented or something. I'm setting up my nobles area, and I'm wondering if I should make a room for him (I know I don't have to, but I invent all sorts of extra nobles for myself because I love pain.)
1. I don't know of any tricks.

2. 10:100 means that dwarves won't get pregnant in there are already ten or more children (the first number), or the number of children is equal to or greater than 100% of adults (the second number), whichever is lower.

3. Sorry, I don't know this one.

4. Yes, champions are a thing now.

Also chaps, i am asking because i couldnt figure, where can i learn what my dwarf needs when he or she goes into a strange mood.
[q] over their claimed workshop to see what they need, [t] over to see what they have already collected. They will always gather in the same order as they say in the [q] screen.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: July 06, 2012, 08:19:28 pm »

Hello champs, do you know a way to make mason workshops only use certain  materials instead of randomly using materials.
Make stockpiles which only accept a certain type of material (eg. an obsidian-only stockpile) and then link this up to the mason's workshop.

Use q over the workshop claimed by the moody dwarf. The list of items he/she needs will be provided there.

Few questions:

1. I don't know how having economy turned off will affect getting barons, but I think you need architecture wealth as well, and you need the liaison come and speak to you about becoming a barony.

2. The information in d_init actually explains things rather well:
The first number is an absolute cap on the number of babies+children.  The second is a percentage of the current number of adults in your fortress (the default is the essentially meaningless 1000% here).  The lower number is used as the cap.  The cap only prevents further pregancies, so migrant children, multiple births and existing pregnancies from old saves can still push you over the cap.  Setting either number to zero will disallow pregnancies in the fortress.
10:100 thus means that you only allow 10 babies + children to be present in your fort, or 100% of the current number of adults, and the lower number becomes the cap (so a 7 dwarf fort will allow up to 7 children from pregnancies, and a 70 dwarf fort will allow 10 babies + children).

3. You have to take care of the Duke and the King, as well as whatever nobles are still hanging around, eg. the Mayor.

4. I'm not sure. I haven't bothered to assign anyone to the Champion noble yet.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: July 06, 2012, 08:36:33 pm »

Why has one of my military dwarves claimed as part of their uniform a leather hood currently owned and being worn by a civilian?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: July 07, 2012, 03:11:22 am »

Why has one of my military dwarves claimed as part of their uniform a leather hood currently owned and being worn by a civilian?

do not covet thy neighbours hood!
absolutely no clue, but it's funny.

if you feel a little cheat-y, dfhack has the showmood command which also tells you if he needs more of whatever material he's looking for.

as for champions, they don't actually do much yet.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: July 07, 2012, 04:58:19 am »

True, it is somewhat buggy

Ba-dum tish!

Swear to Armok, that was a completely unintended pun.

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
quick question .. on stockpile (what a surprise!!!)
« Reply #2516 on: July 07, 2012, 07:37:35 am »

A reason for "armor" being classified into "finished goods" stockpile (type->armor) as well as into its own stockpile "armor"? A young fortress may use the former when goods are scarce and then forbid armors into "finished goods" to get more specialized "armor" stockpiles when the fortress gets.. complicated?
Sign: a confused newb  :-\
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

A Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: July 07, 2012, 07:41:16 am »

Quick question about military. What does assigning Squad/indiv Eq (Q) to a barracks/archery range do?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: quick question .. on stockpile (what a surprise!!!)
« Reply #2518 on: July 07, 2012, 07:48:57 am »

A reason for "armor" being classified into "finished goods" stockpile (type->armor) as well as into its own stockpile "armor"? A young fortress may use the former when goods are scarce and then forbid armors into "finished goods" to get more specialized "armor" stockpiles when the fortress gets.. complicated?

because upper body wear like shirts fall under the name "armor" and "finished goods", while things like chain shirts, breastplates, high or low boots are "armor" and "armor". might be a bit confusing, yeah
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: quick question .. on stockpile (what a surprise!!!)
« Reply #2519 on: July 07, 2012, 08:34:39 am »

because upper body wear like shirts fall under the name "armor" and "finished goods", while things like chain shirts, breastplates, high or low boots are "armor" and "armor". might be a bit confusing, yeah

That clarified the "amor" label :
finished goods / armor stockpile
armor = upperbody / body
footwear / feet
headwear / head
handwear / hands
legswear / legs

Still I do not get why stuff can go either pile... It does not seems to be related to under/overclothing, both stockpile have options for materials, I'm clueless of what I should set up.
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 422