Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881144 times)

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2520 on: July 07, 2012, 11:27:32 am »

Just a question. If you set a stockpile to take from another stockpile, its supposed to only take from that pile, right?

Cause, when I set my stockpile to take from another furniture pile, and then allowed all furniture, my stockpile filled up with anything except the beds I wanted it to be.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: July 07, 2012, 12:35:46 pm »

I think you also have to enable "only accepts from links" or something?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: quick question .. on stockpile (what a surprise!!!)
« Reply #2522 on: July 07, 2012, 03:36:53 pm »

That clarified the "amor" label :
finished goods / armor stockpile
armor = upperbody / body
footwear / feet
headwear / head
handwear / hands
legswear / legs

Still I do not get why stuff can go either pile...

I don't understand your table at all.

An armor stockpile only accepts actual military-grade armor (attire with an Armor Level of 1 or higher).  It will accept helms but not caps.

A finished goods stockpile has several subtypes, one of which is confusingly named "armor", but the armor subtype of finished goods is just upper-body clothing (attire with Armor Level 0).  It will accept shirts and robes but not breastplates.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: July 07, 2012, 04:09:21 pm »

I guess that I should post here

I have a quick question, if anybody could answer

I'm running the dwarf fortress version before they implemented mine-carts. I want to play newer versions, but the whole mine-cart thing is too confusing for me. Is there any way that I can play newer versions, but without those specific updates?

Thanks!

alesia

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:ANY_MAGMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: July 07, 2012, 04:17:38 pm »

Answer to the previous post:
You don't need to *use* minecarts, you know.  You can play 34.11 just fine without building a single one.  I've certainly been ignoring the whole mess.  Just avoid any menu option that says 'track' or 'minecart' (and there aren't that many, three?) and you're good to go.

Question:
In 0.31.25, you could keep trees from growing by putting your pastures above dug-out areas, as trees needed a solid block of soil underneath and within 2 squares in order to grow.  Given the 600-someodd subterranean trees I've just had cut down in my pastures (conveniently located above stockroom space), this is no longer true in 0.34.11.

How do I keep trees from growing in my pastures in 0.34.11?

(Cheats are fine. Strong herbicides are fine. Magma would interfere with my alpaca herd size.

Also: I have been using DFHack's 'grow' command to grow saplings up and get that shit outta there, but new saplings pop up almost immediately, which is not cool. Extirpate has the same problem, except with ashy crap, and unfortunately it's either single-tree or kills everything on the map. I just want sprawling fields of cave moss and floor fungus for my herds, dammit.)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 04:31:37 pm by alesia »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: July 07, 2012, 04:53:23 pm »

I guess that I should post here

I have a quick question, if anybody could answer

I'm running the dwarf fortress version before they implemented mine-carts. I want to play newer versions, but the whole mine-cart thing is too confusing for me. Is there any way that I can play newer versions, but without those specific updates?

Thanks!

34.07 is the latest efore minecarts update
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: July 07, 2012, 05:25:53 pm »

Answer to the previous post:
You don't need to *use* minecarts, you know.  You can play 34.11 just fine without building a single one.  I've certainly been ignoring the whole mess.  Just avoid any menu option that says 'track' or 'minecart' (and there aren't that many, three?) and you're good to go.

Oh, hey, thanks! I didn't know that. Now, once I can get a new graphics card (Old one sorta kinda kablooied), I'll be back to Dwarf Fortress!

Much appreciated, friend.

34.07 is the latest efore minecarts update

Oh, that's good to know too, thank you!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: July 07, 2012, 05:39:13 pm »

You don't need minecarts for 34.11. You will need wheelbarrows (or more dwarves, or more patience, or workshops placed right at the dig site), as dwarves have massively reduced carrying capacities and most types of stone will slow them down greatly.

Stairs.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: July 07, 2012, 05:58:38 pm »

Stairs.

This is probably the easiest method. Dig stairs on the whole level. I recall that sand can be collected through grates (which preventa saplings), and stockpiles (you can disable everything) block trees, but not sure about the viability of either for pastures. Most people would be happy to have their pasture double up as a tree farm. :P

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: July 07, 2012, 06:38:17 pm »

Dedicated pasture space works better for creatures that are big eaters. Some creatures need almost maximum-sized pastures, and any tile that's a tree or shrub isn't a useable one for a grazer. Dead saplings and shrubs are useless for anything, and those take a while to go away.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

drh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: July 07, 2012, 08:53:56 pm »

A humanoid Forgotten Beast made of chrysocolla has just spawned on my site. My military of 15 is comprised of a few green recruits (about a third) and legendary +5 masterwork steel-armed and -armored 10-year vets with named masterwork weapons and 50+ kills a piece. Most of them are axe- and swordsdorfs.

The FB has web capability.

How worried should I be about a FB made out of gem?

alesia

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:ANY_MAGMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: July 07, 2012, 11:54:13 pm »

Stairs.

This is probably the easiest method. Dig stairs on the whole level. I recall that sand can be collected through grates (which preventa saplings), and stockpiles (you can disable everything) block trees, but not sure about the viability of either for pastures. Most people would be happy to have their pasture double up as a tree farm. :P

Thank you both.

Hmm.  I will have to consider.  Ugly pasture full of stairs that is able to support elk birds, or pretty pasture with too many trees and kill off the elk birds before they starve .... decisions, decisions.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: July 08, 2012, 02:46:17 am »

A humanoid Forgotten Beast made of chrysocolla has just spawned on my site. My military of 15 is comprised of a few green recruits (about a third) and legendary +5 masterwork steel-armed and -armored 10-year vets with named masterwork weapons and 50+ kills a piece. Most of them are axe- and swordsdorfs.

The FB has web capability.

How worried should I be about a FB made out of gem?

Very (...you do seem pretty well prepared, though). In short, it's pretty hard to damage, doesn't feel pain, and can only be killed by severing the head, upper body, or lower body. Or so I've read. There was a 5-page thread about a diamond titan just a few weeks ago. Link

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: July 08, 2012, 02:59:23 am »

and webbing is one of the most annoying things to have against you. Unless you can get in close and fighting fast, it'll web everyone and proceed to bash in heads

peccan

• Bay Watcher
  • Ennen kuin pimeä tulee...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: July 08, 2012, 03:07:15 am »

Just to ensure, there is no way of getting wheelbarrows to work in the latest version without editing raws, right? There is no entry for making them in carpentry/metal workshops, and I cannot order them via my manager. (I use Ubuntu and run DF in Wine if that matters.)

Do I need to regen if raw editing is needed? If yes, would I need to regen if I edited the raws to make dorfs haul faster?
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 422